Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
El Poncho said:
How will this help the situation?
Help what situation? Getting back to playing your games?

Sony is getting what they deserve for grossly mismanaging their network.

If an online bank company gets hacked, they are just as much to blame as the hacker.

It's their job to not only manage money, but ensure security... as should have been with PSN -- ESPECIALLY after they realized the PS3 was jailbroken.

Grond Strong

Mar 16, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Grond Strong said:
On the bright side, maybe this will knock down the prices of the PS3 and its games as Sony tries to win new fans to gain back the ones it's lost. And I won't have to sell my future children into indentured servitude as payment...
Wait... you're not going to sell your children as sla... I mean, indentured servants? That would be the only reason for me to have children...

[sub]For anyone who cant tell, that was sarcasm...[/sub]
Nope, now I can find much better uses for them. Like mowing my lawn, washing the dishes, taking out the trash, cleaning the house, etc. Pretty much everything I've had to do in the past fifteen years.

The Naked Emperor

Jan 5, 2011
This makes me wonder how much more of a beating Sony can take. This is a huge blow to consumer confidence and while it's doubtful it will kill their business it could slow sales through the remainder of the generation. And while it may be a little premature, the NGP just screams "underwhelming", especially if they don't price it under $300.

Could Sony's days as a console manufacturer be numbered?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
In either case, it's estimated that the breach could cost Sony billions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion] from lawsuits like this, in addition to government-enforced penalties from around the world.
And the only people who are actually going to profit off of those lawsuits are the lawyers.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
wow, when i made that comment that people should lose their jobs over sony trying to push 3d onto us less fortunate folk who can't afford such things and making suckers out of those who can... i didn't want this.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Couldnt come at a worse time aswell, just at the point where japan could really do with all it's companies firing with all cylinders

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Now the shoe is on the other foot, eh sony?

But seriously. Hope things get better for you, and I hope I can play Mortal Kombat with my friends soon.

GamingGoddessV

Feb 21, 2011
I hope Sony wasn't that stupid to not have security in place to protect people's credit card info. But after all these lawsuits I don't think this will hurt Sony's bank account one bit. Big Corporations run the world, Sony is one of those corporations. People thought the oil spill would ruin BP, did it? No it didn't.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
GamingGoddessV said:
I hope Sony wasn't that stupid to not have security in place to protect people's credit card info. But after all these lawsuits I don't think this will hurt Sony's bank account one bit. Big Corporations run the world, Sony is one of those corporations. People thought the oil spill would ruin BP, did it? No it didn't.
The assumption your making is that people care about an oil spill (miles off-shore that they will never see) as much as their own credit info being compromised.

Will this break them completely? Probably not. But they will spend a while recovering from this.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Redd the Sock said:
ZeZZZZevy said:
Has anyone's credit card info actually been stolen? I haven't seen a single example as of yet that someone suffered from Identity theft, and to actually win a case like this you do need legitimate examples.
I've seen several, all of which seem like active trolls making trouble on forums. There are times when being an asshole goes beyond rude and into unacceptable.
Unfortunate, the details surrounding all of this aren't very clear, and are ripe with exaggerations and trolling. I'd like to know what is actually going on (I don't even own a PS3, but this kind of thing is a potential threat no matter what you own)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Welp, if Sony goes down over this, it will hardly be the first time that a game company I loved pulls out of the hardware business. Anybody remember Sega? I do. I still have my Genesis, and while I went with Sony for the two generations following that one, the blue hedgehog, the green robot, and all the rest still hold a special place in my heart. The truth is, though, if Sega hadn't gone down, Microsoft probably would never have risen. If Sony pulls out of the market, we could very well have a new competitor in the marketplace within a hardware generation. Regardless, they screwed the pooch with this, and while it will make me sad to see them go down, it's not going to be undeserved. Besides, what I see as the worst case scenario is the videogame division closing down; people tend to forget that Sony is a general electronics manufacturer, not a videogame company like Nintendo. If I look to my right, I have a pair of Sony headphones sitting next to me. If I look at my shelf, I probably have a few DVDs which were either pressed by or contain movies made by Sony. I don't see an empire that large falling because one division has to shut down.

Edit: It would be like Rome falling in an alternate timeline because Boudicaa kicked them out of Britannia. It just wouldn't happen.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i doubt a giant like Sony would die from something like this given how much money there making annually and i doubt sce would close down either that would be overkill

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Obviously Sony as a whole won't die from this, but one has to wonder, if they go through enough pain over this, will they back out of the video games industry?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Entitled shits.

Sony's PSN has been operate for a number of years and this is the first major breach that I can recall, by a third party.

Fuck off and pull your head out of your arses.
And fuck Mr. Lawyer man for trying to cash in on... no, wait, you're just doing your job.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
jovack22 said:
El Poncho said:
How will this help the situation?
Help what situation? Getting back to playing your games?

Sony is getting what they deserve for grossly mismanaging their network.

If an online bank company gets hacked, they are just as much to blame as the hacker.

It's their job to not only manage money, but ensure security... as should have been with PSN -- ESPECIALLY after they realized the PS3 was jailbroken.
Also, they guaranteed the safety of people who saved their CC info. This is a breach of contract, and in accordance, can suffer legal action for damages. I'm sure my good friend JDKJ will correct me if I'm wrong.

I hate this happened, but I don't mind seeing Sony get a little of their own medicine back at them.