Sony Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over PSN Breach

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
*SNIP*
I didn't say you were. Some people just don't think about this stuff.
I just want to make sure everyone knows the basics.
This is a lot more important than the latest pre-order scheme for some game nobody is going to remember a year from now. This shit can affect your life for years to come.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of effects are you referring to from PSN being hacked?
EDIT: Or are you talking about clicking email links and giving them your details?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
*SNIP*
This is a lot more important than the latest pre-order scheme for some game nobody is going to remember a year from now. This shit can affect your life for years to come.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of effects are you referring to from PSN being hacked?
If the hackers have the kind of info you signed up to psn with, they can also get your ss number. Once they have all that info together, they can take out credit cards and loans in your name for years to come.
That's why I would recommend taking part in the lawsuit if this is the only reason you have for signing up to a credit protection plan: because it's something that (between this sony issue and other things that are sure to happen to you in the future) you're probably going to need said plan for the rest of your life. And it is about $100 a year.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
*SNIP*
If the hackers have the kind of info you signed up to psn with, they can also get your ss number. Once they have all that info together, they can take out credit cards and loans in your name for years to come.
That's why I would recommend taking part in the lawsuit if this is the only reason you have for signing up to a credit protection plan: because it's something that (between this sony issue and other things that are sure to happen to you in the future) you're probably going to need said plan for the rest of your life. And it is about $100 a year.
In Australia knowing someones dob etc wont get you access to their ss number, you need seperate passwords &/or to go into a centrelink office with ID to prove you are who you say you are, their very detailed.
As for credit cards, their VERY hard to get and there are safeguards (federally enforced), which would make doing such a thing very hard (not impossible, but hard).
And lastly, the address on my debit card is not my residentual address, so they'd have bucklies getting anywhere reguardless (as my debit card has my grandparents address not my 'residential' address) so they'd find any attempts to open accounts etc bouncing back as incorrect information, tho thats a personal thing.

Da_Vane

Dec 31, 2007
Well, you can kiss this class-suit goodbye: http://consumerist.com/2011/04/supreme-court-rules-that-companies-can-block-customers-class-action-suits.html

Mighty convenient, don't you think?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Radelaide said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Am I the only one that's a little pissed that somehow I'm included in all this?

Look, I don't give a shit about lawsuits or any of the other speculative bullshit I've been reading for the past few days right now. I just want to know if I need to change my credit card or not, who did it, and when is this all gonna be fixed!
May I suggest doing it anyway?
Well I already told my bank about this and they would call me if there was a strange charge. I gave them permission to kill the card if I didn't use it though.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
*SNIP*
In Australia knowing someones dob etc wont get you access to their ss number, you need seperate passwords &/or to go into a centrelink office with ID to prove you are who you say you are, their very detailed.
As for credit cards, their VERY hard to get and there are safeguards (federally enforced), which would make doing such a thing very hard (not impossible, but hard).
And lastly, the address on my debit card is not my residentual address, so they'd have bucklies getting anywhere reguardless (as my debit card has my grandparents address not my 'residential' address) so they'd find any attempts to open accounts etc bouncing back as incorrect information, tho thats a personal thing.
In the US, there aren't a lot of regulations in place to protect the consumer and whenever anyone suggests that some should be put in place, they are accused of being a commie that's trying to undermine our capitalist society. The banks and CC companies want it to be easy as possible for people to get cards.
Things would probably be a little different if our elected officials weren't funded by banks and credit card companies but that's part of the fallacy of our democracy which is sometimes a bit closer to corporate fascism.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
*SNIP*
In the US, there aren't a lot of regulations in place to protect the consumer and whenever anyone suggests that some should be put in place, they are accused of being a commie that's trying to undermine our capitalist society. The banks and CC companies want it to be easy as possible for people to get cards.
Things would probably be a little different if our elected officials weren't funded by banks and credit card companies but that's part of the fallacy of our democracy which is sometimes a bit closer to corporate fascism.
Ah, so I take it you can get a credit card without a birth certificate/passport, drivers licence/ID and 10 points of ID (your required to have all of that to open an account, and to get a loan or credit card they also do checks ontop of that), its far from simple even for the legit person to get approved even with proof of ID due to loan restrictions as well (eg: a student cant get a credit card or loan unless they either earn a certain amount, etc it's very restrictive setup that banks are forced to follow). Sufficet to say theres alot of safeguards, thats not to say stuff doesn't happen but the customer is protected in the long run.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
RicoADF said:
GonzoGamer said:
*SNIP*
Ah, so I take it you can get a credit card without a birth certificate/passport, drivers licence/ID and 10 points of ID (your required to have all of that to open an account, and to get a loan or credit card they also do checks ontop of that), its far from simple even for the legit person to get approved even with proof of ID due to loan restrictions as well (eg: a student cant get a credit card or loan unless they either earn a certain amount, etc it's very restrictive setup that banks are forced to follow). Sufficet to say theres alot of safeguards, thats not to say stuff doesn't happen but the customer is protected in the long run.
America is the opposite. You need very little info and no official documentation to open a credit card and even for some loans.
On the first day of classes (and on most days of classes to tell you the truth) college campuses are flooded with barkers for credit cards with high limits and high APRs.
TO the credit card companies, college students are the easiest game. They purchase a lot and don't have a high income so they end up raking up a high balance at such absurd APRs that they end up paying off for years after graduation.
The universities often allow this because the companies pay them off.
You occasionally hear of a student that got so far in the hole that (s)he commits suicide because of it.
I love capitalism but completely unregulated, it mutates into something sick and vicious.
American policies are actually really horrible to anyone who isn't rich or a huge corporation.
The rich and huge corporations get the best tax breaks, the best welfare, and the best prison cells when they decide to screw people over anyway.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
For those who are too lazy to read the PlayStation blog or main site...

Q: Are you working with law enforcement on this matter?
A: Yes, we are currently working with law enforcement on this matter as well as a recognized technology security firm to conduct a complete investigation. This malicious attack against our system and against our customers is a criminal act and we are proceeding aggressively to find those responsible.

Q: Was my personal data encrypted?
A: All of the data was protected, and access was restricted both physically and through the perimeter and security of the network. The entire credit card table was encrypted and we have no evidence that credit card data was taken. The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack.

Q: Was my credit card data taken?
A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network or Qriocity, and is therefore not stored anywhere in our system.

Q: What steps should I take at this point to help protect my personal data?
A: For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well. To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports.

Q: What if I don?t know which credit card I?ve got attached to my PlayStation Network account?
A: If you?ve added funds to your PlayStation Network wallet in the past, you should have received a confirmation email from [email protected]? at the email address associated with your account. This email would have been sent to you immediately after you added the funds, and will contain the first 4 digits and last 4 digits of your credit card number. You can also check your previous credit card statements to determine which card was attached to your PlayStation Network or Qriocity accounts.

Q: When or how can I change my PlayStation Network password?
A: We are working on a new system software update that will require all users to change their password once PlayStation Network is restored. We will provide more details about the new update shortly.

Q: Have all PlayStation Network and Qriocity users been notified of the situation?
A: In addition to alerting the media and posting information about it on this blog, we have also been sending emails directly to all 77 million registered accounts. It takes a bit of time to send that many emails, and recognize that not every email will still be active, but this process has been underway since yesterday. At this time, the majority of emails have been sent and we anticipate that all registered accounts will have received notifications by April 28th. Consumers may also visit www.us.playstation.com/support and www.qriocity.com for notices regarding this issue. In addition, we have taken steps to disseminate information regarding this issue to media outlets so that consumers are informed.

Q: What steps is Sony taking to protect my personal data in the future?
A: We?ve taken several immediate steps to add protections for your personal data. First, we temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services and, second, we are enhancing security and strengthening our network infrastructure. Moving forward, we are initiating several measures that will significantly enhance all aspects of PlayStation Network?s security and your personal data, including moving our network infrastructure and data center to a new, more secure location, which is already underway. We will provide additional information on these measures shortly.

Q: Has Sony identified the party or parties responsible for the PlayStation Network hack and subsequent theft of personal information?
A: We are currently conducting a thorough investigation of the situation and are working closely with a recognized technology security firm and law enforcement in order to find those responsible for this criminal act no matter where in the world they might be located.

Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.
So.. As far as I can see, Sony ARE DOING THEIR JOB.

Dear people-who-are-still-pissed-at-Sony, etc, you can kindly stop that now and face your raging hate towards the people that DESERVE it. THE HACKERS.

RicoADF said:
Ah, isn't being Australian awesome? :D It's great having banks who enforce actual identification for approval before even signing up for credit cards and the like.

Silly Americans.. This is why you have kids (12-13) walking around with credit cards. That kind of shit, they should NOT possess.

GamingGoddessV

Feb 21, 2011
Stevepinto3 said:
GamingGoddessV said:
I hope Sony wasn't that stupid to not have security in place to protect people's credit card info. But after all these lawsuits I don't think this will hurt Sony's bank account one bit. Big Corporations run the world, Sony is one of those corporations. People thought the oil spill would ruin BP, did it? No it didn't.
The assumption your making is that people care about an oil spill (miles off-shore that they will never see) as much as their own credit info being compromised.

Will this break them completely? Probably not. But they will spend a while recovering from this.

No assumptions. The problem they are facing right now, won't even put a dent in their wallets, lets be real.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
o.0

Wow, some people are full of themselves. My PSN does not wish to be represented in a suit against Sony. Was only a matter of time before a major company was publicly smashed in cyberspace. I'd rather the money used in the court case go towards securing the internet.

Won't happen of course, rights and all that. The right to download cp and hack companies. \m/

Be nice though

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
El Poncho said:
How will this help the situation?
Short answer? It doesn't...

I realy don't want to be involved in this, Sueing sony is only makeing it worse and i want no part of it!

Also, I stand by the views of this person:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMcBCNKRxQ&feature=channel_video_title
Don't know how to embed but whatever.

He might or might not know what he's talking about but if it is just abit correct then i would say that the Lawyers are indeed trying to fill their own pockets.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Emergent said:
JDKJ said:
Negligence is pretty mush a garden variety legal standard. It don't change much from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. You'll be hard=pressed to find a jurisdiction where the standard isn't articulated -- perhaps with minor variations on the theme -- as: (1) duty of care (2) breach (3) proximate cause (4) injury. That's why the Multi-State Bar examiners love to test tort law. Black-letter tort law doesn't change much from state to state.
You're missing the point. The point isn't what is, and is not, a legal standard. The point is that the legal system is not what gives things meaning.

Another point might be that not all of those 78 million accounts were held by U.S. citizens, and that SCE is not a U.S.-based company, but I'm sure you weren't just leaving that part out because it's inconvenient.
If one is to say, as has been said, that Sony, as a matter of law, is negligent, then please explain to me how that statement can have any validity if it isn't made against and with reliance on the legal requirements of negligence? The statement is a legal conclusion. If it isn't being drawn with respect to the requirements of negligence as a matter of law, then how can it be properly drawn?

That there are account holders outside the United Sates and that Sony Computer Entertainment (Japan) are located outside of the United Sates are both irrelevant, I would think. We are discussing a class action brought against Sony and based primarily on allegations of negligence. Anyone, regardless of where they are located, can join the class provided they were a PSN or Qriocity account holder. Additionally, the class action is not being brought against Sony Computer Entertainment (Japan). It is being brought against Sony Computer Entertainment of America. What do the facts that some members of the plaintiff class are located outside of the United States and that a corporation that isn't even a named defendant is located outside of the United States have to do with anything?

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
JDKJ said:
(bunch of rambling bs that has nothing to do with my post)
Still missing the point. Looks like you're replying to someone else, even, because none of that has anything to do with what I said. Granted, it might have some relevance to some other discussion you were having, but that isn't really my concern.

Welcome back, though.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Emergent said:
JDKJ said:
(bunch of rambling bs that has nothing to do with my post)
Still missing the point. Looks like you're replying to someone else, even, because none of that has anything to do with what I said. Granted, it might have some relevance to some other discussion you were having, but that isn't really my concern.

Welcome back, though.
Your point, in your own words, is that "the legal system is not what gives things meaning." If we are discussing the meaningfulness -- or lack thereof -- of a statement contending that Sony is negligent as a matter of law, how can the legal standard for negligence not be a central part of that discussion? I don't get that.

You also pointed out that not all potential class members are within the United States and that Sony Computer Entertainment is not within the United States and suggested that I was conveniently omitting those facts. I responded by explaining to you why those facts are entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. How is that rambling bullshit that has nothing to do with your post? It squarely addresses the concern raised by your post and explains why your concern is irrelevant. I don't hear you doing a thing to establish the relevance of those facts. Indeed, it appears to me as if your post impliedly misidentifies the actual defendant in the lawsuit (which isn't SCE but, rather, SCEA).

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Ghostwise said:
You had a nice run Sony. Something of this magnitude could very well kill a multibillion dollar corporation.
It didn't kill TJ Maxx, who lost three times as many accounts as Sony and handled the situation much worse than Sony has (it took TJ Maxx months to even discover that they'd been hacked). TJ Maxx is still is business, selling discounted last-season shoes and handbags. What makes you think Sony's any different?