Sony Hopeful for Record-Breaking PS4 Sales

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Sony Hopeful for Record-Breaking PS4 Sales

Sony is feeling good about the PS4's upcoming launch, and according to one executive the company thinks the event will break records for console sales.

The launch of Sony's PlayStation 4 draws near, and that means the console manufacturer is counting up its preorders and setting expectations for the big day. Sony UK's managing director Fergal Gara has high hopes for the system's slightly-more-distant European launch as well. The hype train in that region shows no signs of slowing down, and Gara thinks that Sony has a real shot at shattering the UK's launch day sales records.

"It's very possible, yes," Gara said when asked about breaking records with the PS4 launch. "And the pre-order levels are the highest we've ever seen, full stop. So pre-orders only need to convert into real sales and that happens."

This is a great improvement for Sony, seeing as how the Xbox 360 sold roughly four times as many units as the PS3 did in the UK. Gara points out that Sony "won" the console war in Europe despite the loss in the UK, but this time around the PS4 could win that market as well. "Andy House said last week we're holding a forecast of five million units of PS4 for the financial year," Gara recalls. "That's 50 percent up on PlayStation 3 for the same time window."

Despite all the optimism, Gara knows that a good launch day means nothing if Sony can't follow through. "This format war, if you want to call it that, is a marathon, not a sprint. We're coming out of the blocks in a strong position, but ... we have to continually improve the proposition, proving what PS4 represents."

The PS4 launches on November 15 in the US, November 29 in Europe.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-28-sony-on-ps4-the-format-war-is-a-marathon-not-a-sprint]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Beat the PS3 records? Oh Hell yeah I can easily see that happening. The elements are all just right.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Beat PS3 sales? Very possible. Beat PS2 sales? 150 million units is a hell of a number to beat.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Beating the PS3 record should be a given. That thing was a mess at the start.

That cynicism out of the way, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to get my hands on a PS4.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I hope they do. If for no other reason than to cement, emboss and then immortalize the idea that keeping the consumer happy is king over keeping your shareholders/friends in the industry happy.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
Well this time it won't have the advantage of being a cheap Blu-ray player. I don't really care though, and neither does Sony. Playstation is a very small percent of their profit margin.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Of course they will, they are opening in more areas than XB1. So overall, they well sell more. Thats just common sense i would have thought.

I would like them to slightly outsell MS (though im buying an XB1 at some point) because SOny said if the PS4 doesnt sell they will quit. No way. I want Sony to release a PS5, they need to stay in the business as the PS1 was the first console i bought.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Hasn't it already beaten pre-order records?

So I mean if that's the case I can see it happening... maybe.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I can see why they're so hopeful, and very happy they're being realistic at the same time. It is indeed a marathon. They've had troubles with two units: PS3 and PS Vita. Both were very "sticky" launches. Hopefully the lesson learned from both will help PS4 on it's way. Plenty of pre-orders is one thing, but yes getting people to keep their product is the real work. To wit: It's all about the games. The marathon begins.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Pre-orders better well translate into real sales, I will annoyed if not. Mine is supposed to be to be delivered on launch day and I will be disappointed as hell if it isnt.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
dragongit said:
Beat PS3 sales? Very possible. Beat PS2 sales? 150 million units is a hell of a number to beat.
You are aware he;'s talking about launch sales, right? The Ps2 didn't sell 150 million consoles day one.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Sony as a whole definitely needs the help at the moment. It's safe to say it will beat the Xbox One for for sure at release time, as for crazy great lifetime sales, that's another issue. It will easily beat the PS3 launch, but again, lifetime sales are a complete mystery. I doubt it will beat out the PS2 in lifetime sales though.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

Build up a good library and fast. Entice people to want it.