Sony Hopes LittleBigPlanet Will Help Kids Do Homework

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Hopes LittleBigPlanet Will Help Kids Do Homework

Media Molecule is releasing a pack of LittleBigPlanet 2 levels that are focused on educating children.

Sony evidently has a new initiative in the works that will hopefully see the PlayStation 3 used as a learning tool in schools. The first step in the initiative is Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet 2 [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K780/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300292340&sr=8-1] "Teacher Pack," a set of levels designed for educational purposes.

MCV reports that the levels in the pack will feature "instructions for teachers and demonstrations of National Curriculum-based in-game levels that other teachers have made." They'll use the PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300292347&sr=8-1] motion controller to help give a visual representation of subjects within topics such as mathematics.

PlayStation Move can reportedly track distances, calculate speeds, and perform other useful actions. Sony feels these abilities in a physics-based game like LittleBigPlanet can be a boon within the educational world.

SCEE senior VP Ray Maguire called devices like the PS3 and PSP "sophisticated media players" that have the capability to display "video, audio and web-based lessons," and doesn't think they should only be considered videogame consoles. "I think there is a great case for a national Digital Curriculum to complement the existing Curriculum," he added. The "Teacher Pack" is planned for release in May 2011.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43510/Sony-gives-schools-homework]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
National Curriculum based levels?

Shit, if this is based off the US educational system's standards, these levels would be lucky to teach a kid "1 + 2 = 4"

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
I would love this, but I doubt it would help anybody past grade 2 or 3. my calc class really wont benefit from this I'm guessing

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Well I think Media Molecule is British so it will be the British National Curriculum: but I doubt any schools in Blighty; except the posh toffs in private school can afford books let alone ps3's

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
This is a cool idea, I hope it makes a profit for them and get's used by some teachers though, which I'm not really sure about realistically :/

hansari

May 31, 2009
Quick Sackboy!! We need to figure out which of the following molecules has an sp3 hybridized carbon before the evil Czar escapes!!!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
National Curriculum based levels?

Shit, if this is based off the US educational system's standards, these levels would be lucky to teach a kid "1 + 2 = 4"
Zing!

OT: Looks cool, though I'd think the cost of getting a PS3 in the first place would make it rather difficult to get this thing in the curriculum.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Roboto said:
Because American public schools can afford PS3s.
My school in south carolina can afford touch screen marker boards. They still didn't pay teachers well though...