Sony Increasing PS4 Sales Projections After E3

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Increasing PS4 Sales Projections After E3

Sony believes it might sell more PS4's than it can make.

Sony had a launches this holiday. Responding to the excitement spawned by recent events, Sony has increased its internal sales projections for the PS4.

While not offering anything in the way of actual numbers Sony was not shy in confirming its expanded expectations going forward. "Demand may well outstrip supply," said Andrew House, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment. While some might caution Sony not to get ahead of itself, there is some anecdotal evidence to help bolster the company's confidence. On Amazon, for instance, PlayStation 4 products already inhabit several best seller slots in the retailer's gaming section. "We're excited about the momentum," commented Jack Tretton, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America.

It's hard to blame Sony for giving into a bit of excitement considering the positive reception to its PS4 presentation at E3. That said, the company would do well to remember that too much confidence can be a bad thing, a lesson it had to learn the hard way following the PS3's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88145-PS3-Is-Dying-On-The-Shelves>ill-fated launch. By all means, enjoy success as it comes, but try not to count the PS4's before they hatch.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-17-sony-increases-ps4-sales-projections-post-e3>Games Industry

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
How much do you want to bet that, all things considered, Sony is going to stomp the XBox One by a factor of 10:1?

Taking all bets right now.

OT: Reserved mine a couple of days ago. That put a little dent in my plans to get a Vita and Persona 4 Golden, but it was a happy dent that I can live with.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I have to admit, watching them continually rap MS in the nuts over and over was satisfying enough for me to want to get a ps4 at launch. But the psPlus requirement for online play kind of dulled my enthusiasm.
I might still get one in a few years but there's going to have to be some really good single player games because all my new multiplayer games are going to be on the pc.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Okay, I get that you got a good thing going here Sony, but don't get cocky, that's what caused this mess for Mircosoft and I'd rather not be ragging on the PS5 this time in a few years.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I asked an employee in a local Best Buy about the number of pre-orders for the Xbone and PS4, 2 xbones and like 30+ PS4s. Actually went to Sony's Facebook page to congratulate them on the victory over the xbone, some might say we should wait till they launch to say who wins but honestly it's clear who is dominating at this point.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
How much do you want to bet that, all things considered, Sony is going to stomp the XBox One by a factor of 10:1?

OT: Reserved mine a couple of days ago. That put a little dent in my plans to get a Vita and Persona 4 Golden, but it was a happy dent that I can live with.
At the very least it should be a ratio of... 4:1... GET IT!? ... I'll be going now...*walks off stage*

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
dragongit said:
At the very least it should be a ratio of... 4:1... GET IT!? ... I'll be going now...*walks off stage*
*gives a slow clap*

That aside; don't be too over confident. Try not to trip right before the finish line. Check and double check your work. Don't want red rings nor yellow lights in the final product. And don't want to hear there's a shortage of supply. Don't be the hare. Don't think you're so far ahead you can stop and take a nap. Learn from you mistakes, not make new ones.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

Factoring in that the PS4 will be available in twice as many regions as the Xbone?

I could bet a penny on the Xbone and if they actually equalised (to within a certain degree) i would walk away with enough cash to buy a PS4.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
And the disparity will only increase after the first quarter :p
Indeed, after a first few months of sales like what the preorders seem to imply, it's third party support will drop to WiiU levels. (With no WiiU level first party support).

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Hoo damn, Sony is starting to feel good about itself after the whole E3 thing. Better not get too cocky there Sony, otherwise ya might fuck up like a certain company is doing.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I think this is pretty justified. They've clearly learned several key strategies from last gen, such as the lower price at launch and the support of indie developers. This is true progression and learning from mistakes.

It sure as hell helps that Microsoft happens to be actively pushing away customers towards Sony, though.

Now if only they can offer free online, and they'd be a great companion with PC gaming.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Following E3 I know a bunch of people who were looking to abstain entirely from the next gen and yet are now looking at the PS4, myself included, so this isn't altogether unreasonable.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
They'd better, that hilarity that was the Microsoft press conference echos back to the PS3 reveal. Sony's in a great position to push for market dominance at the moment, and they have the same blessing of millions of anonymous 13-year olds on the internet that served the 360 so well at launch.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
What a stunning announcement, demand will exceed initial supply just like every recent console except for the WiiU, I believe.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
sethisjimmy said:
Now if only they can offer free online, and they'd be a great companion with PC gaming.
Well it is a shame that one of their great selling points is gone, PS+ does have great bonuses like free games, free trails of full length games etc. So it does prove itself and pay for itself and I do see why Sony might do something like this. That $400 price point may really hurt their profits for a couple of years so PS+ is an attempt to help cover those loses quickly and turn a profit.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
For the people saying Sony is getting too cocky, it's good that they ramp up their predictions.

The forecasting of how well a product will sell is vital to, among other things, the proper planning of creating enough product and getting them everywhere on time.

If they don't ramp up predictions, chances are they will not have build enough PS4's to suit all the demand by launch.

Hell, they probably won't be able to meet demand now.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Microsoft, I think we have found a way you can actually make money from your games console division.

Build PS4s for Sony.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well I'd rather they have more PS4's than necessary, than not have enough. Wouldn't everyone else?

And besides, confidence is what may very well make people who are on the fence about the next gen consoles cross over to Sony's side.