Sony Investigating PS4 Online Play Problems

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Sony Investigating PS4 Online Play Problems

Unrelated to the PSN maintenance scheduled for today, many PS4 owners have reported problems with their PS Plus membership.

Several PS4 owners have experienced issues of online games, being locked out of online play in games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, FIFA 14, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Battlefield 4. Sony's English community manager for Europe Chris Owen confirmed on Twitter that this is a problem on Sony's end, and Sony is currently investigating.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Envisager_/statuses/410003293662752768]

The error tells users they cannot access the content because they do not have a PlayStation Plus subscription. The reports come from those who indeed have a PS Plus membership. Today's scheduled Killzone Twitter account [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130340-PSN-Maintenance-Will-Increase-Number-of-Portable-Devices-on-SEN] stated the online gaming issue is "an unexpected event, confirmed by Sony" and thus not related to PSN maintenance, which has just begun.

Assuming the problem is fixed within the five-hour maintenance window, once it's fixed, all users who have recently signed into PSN can get back to playing their games online. Beyond problems with the network not recognizing PS Plus memberships, the network seems to have gone down early for some.

Owen is unsure how long the fix will take, but he will post to Twitter once the problem is resolved. For now, if you're one of the affected users, rest assured that your PS Plus membership is fine, and Sony will hopefully have the situation under control soon.

Source: CVG [https://twitter.com/Envisager_/statuses/410003293662752768]

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
I wonder if this has anything to do with the ps3 network getting "hacked" again? I got charged $150 yesterday that was used to buy fifa points and a subscription to madden. Thankfully I check my bank account frequently and managed to catch it before it went over what it did.

Heads up people. I smell a shit storm coming.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
I wonder if this has anything to do with the ps3 network getting "hacked" again? I got charged $150 yesterday that was used to buy fifa points and a subscription to madden. Thankfully I check my bank account frequently and managed to catch it before it went over what it did.

I had $90 randomly added to my PSN wallet about a month ago. I immediately went to the Sony website and removed my card from my PSN account and changed all of my passwords to everything. Sony refunded the money, but it's still unsettling. I go through the trouble of removing my card from my account every time I purchase something now.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Church185 said:
TwoSidesOneCoin said:

I had $90 randomly added to my PSN wallet about a month ago. I immediately went to the Sony website and removed my card from my PSN account and changed all of my passwords to everything. Sony refunded the money, but it's still unsettling. I go through the trouble of removing my card from my account every time I purchase something now.
You would be better off just buying PSN cards from Amazon or eBay instead of adding and removing your card for each purchase.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
FloodOne said:
You would be better off just buying PSN cards from Amazon or eBay instead of adding and removing your card for each purchase.
But then I would have to wait for them in the mail or trust a stranger to send me the code on the back. That to me seems like more of a hassle than removing my card.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
Church185 said:
TwoSidesOneCoin said:

Hey any chance you could give me the number to call regarding a refund? I went to the sony website, but haven't found anything regarding fraud. Thanks!

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
TwoSidesOneCoin said:
Hey any chance you could give me the number to call regarding a refund? I went to the sony website, but haven't found anything regarding fraud. Thanks!
I didn't look for anything specifically related to fraud, I just called the number on their contact page [https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options] and talked to a customer service rep. The process of getting the refund wasn't too painful, and the reps were generally pleasant to deal with, but it did take about a week and a half from when I placed the call to receive my money back in my account. Good luck getting your refund!