Sony is Adding Support for External Drives to PS4

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sony is Adding Support for External Drives to PS4

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1379/1379816.jpgThe next PS4 update will bring a long awaited feature: support for external hard drives.

Sony has supported upgrading your PS4's hard drive since launch, but it's never allowed you to use an external hard drive on your console. That's been a sticking point for some, who would like to increase their storage without pulling their hard drive. Well, those complaints will be put to rest soon, as Sony is adding support for external storage in the next PS4 update.

The next update, version 4.50, enters beta today. It adds support for USB 3.0 external hard drives up to 8 TB in size. Applications can be downloaded and installed directly to those drives, and their contents can be managed through the PS4's menu.

Also in this update will be support for custom screenshots. You'll be able to set your favorite in-game screenshot as your background, and you can edit those screenshots in photo mode to make them look exactly how you want.

Other features includes additional improvements to the quick menu that pops up after a long press of the PS button, a simplified notification list, the ability to post directly to PSN activity feeds, and support for 3D Blu-Rays in PlayStation VR.

Sony's official post [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/] on the update says that there will be more features announced "in the weeks to come." There's no word on when this update may roll out to all PS4 owners, but past timing would suggest we'll see it in the next couple of months.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I dont own a ps4 but Id love this in my xbone. Im forever swapping games out. 1tb doesn't go very far on a console.

Nov 28, 2007
bjj hero said:
I dont own a ps4 but Id love this in my xbone. Im forever swapping games out. 1tb doesn't go very far on a console.
The Xbone does support external 3.0 hard drives. I have a 2 TB external hard drive in my brother's Xbone right now.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
thebobmaster said:
bjj hero said:
The Xbone does support external 3.0 hard drives. I have a 2 TB external hard drive in my brother's Xbone right now.
I did the same thing. For about the cost of one game, I about quintupled my effective storage.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for Sony to add this feature. I'd assumed it was a hardware issue, but since it can be fixed with a patch, it must have been software (and therefore a strategic decision) all along. Weird.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Let's hope that this feature is done better in the PS4 than in the Wii U

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
Congratulations, Sony, you finally caught up with the Nintendo Wii U and Microsoft Xbox One.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Fucking finally. The one feature that I could praise Microsoft for with the Xbone and to an exent(for a while), the 360. Only took you nearly a decade Sony.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I...kind of just assumed that this feature, as commonplace as it is, was already a thing for PS4.

Not really making me regret my continued aversion to this generation of consoles, Sony.