Sony is Finally Sending out Compensation for 2011 PSN Breach

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sony is Finally Sending out Compensation for 2011 PSN Breach

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1293/1293978.png
Remember that massive PSN breach back in 2011? Sony is finally getting around to sending out that promised compensation.

All the way back in 2011, there was an class action lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It], and finally, Sony promising compensation for those affected as a result of the suit.

Well the good news is now, five years later, Sony is finally following through with its promise of compensation.

Shortly after the outage, Sony detailed its from January of 2015 [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/03/welcome-back/]. Now, a full five years after the breach, those game codes are finally being rolled out.

So for those of you who have been diligently awaiting your chance to play all of 2011's smash hits, like original Little Big Planet or Rain, your patience is about to pay off!

Eligible users will soon receive an email with their codes attached, much like the one you can see in the image above.

Seriously though, at this point, you have to wonder why they would even bother. The games are so old at this point that anyone who wanted to play them, probably has already. They should have just given everyone the equivalent dollar amount in PSN credit. This "two free games" thing is a slap in the face, but at least they actually went through with it!

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/03/08/remember-the-2011-psn-breach-sony-is-just-now-sending-out-compensation-codes.aspx]

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i bet i won't be seeing anything from this but good news for those that will

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
The Welcome Back rewards were separate and were redeemable basically immediately. They weren't part of the lawsuit; they were just something Sony did to generate some positive PR after the outage. The Class Action claim benefits were claimable last year (see https://psnsoesettlement.com/english/ or writeups like http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sony-compensates-players-psn-class-action-settlement-article-1.2091300) and are going out now (you'll note that Puppeteer, the game whose code is included in the sample email screenshot you included, was not one of the Welcome Back options listed on the page you linked - neither was Rain).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Wait, I got the free games. Years ago. As in immediately. I believe I got some top down zombie shooter, Dead Nation, if I recall correctly and Infamous. Unless this is something else entirely I'm a bit disappointed in this article. I know you're just going off of what the source said but part of the reason I come to the escapist is because they tend to catch these sorts of things prior to the article going out.

That said, whatever the hell this is with 5 year old game codes is a bit, well, stupid. They would have been better off not reopening that particular set of wounds.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I got Infamous soon after the Welcome Back rewards were announced years ago.

There might be some confusion with your info.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Five years Sony. Five fucking years.

Speedy response there chums.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Seems Steven Bogos is a bit confused. The two free games were given out a few months after the breach was confirmed. I remember I got Little Big Planet and inFamous for free.

The lawsuit and compensation are something else. More research is required, please update the article.

Sep 9, 2007
Dirty Hipsters said:
Seems Steven Bogos is a bit confused. The two free games were given out a few months after the breach was confirmed. I remember I got Little Big Planet and inFamous for free.

The lawsuit and compensation are something else. More research is required, please update the article.
This. The Welcome back thing kicked in shortly after PSN was reinstated and lasted a month or two. I got Dead Nation and a Ratchet and Clank game (Quest for Booty?).

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
The Eupho Guy said:
Dirty Hipsters said:

This. The Welcome back thing kicked in shortly after PSN was reinstated and lasted a month or two. I got Dead Nation and a Ratchet and Clank game (Quest for Booty?).
Indeed, the error combined with all this about slapping people in the face feels a bit 'Whoo chance to rag on Sony again!'-y. I got the freebies forever ago; it rather made my month back then given how fun inFamous turned out to be (I'd been ignoring it until then). 'Never did get around to giving Ratchet and Clank a proper go, though.

Still I'd be curious to find out what's actually going on. Maybe they've started sending people money or something? I'll have to poke around.

EDIT: One quick look later it seems a lot of people are parotting this 'Finally giving out the free games' line, with a lot of similarly perplexed readers. The heck's going on? If nothing else I think someone needs to explain their story a bit better..

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Seems like some poor journalism going on here. I know quite a few people who got freebies out of the Welcome Back program. I only got a PS3 after the debacle so I wasn't able to partake, but akaik people already got the free stuff out of that.
I'd like some clarification, maybe its a reimbursal for those who actually were harmed by the leak? Something Sony kept quiet about? It really feels like the article is just the author taking cheap shots at Sony, which is reprehensible at worst, poor journalism at best.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Blehhh...

I am all to familar with Sony's "efficiency". Fuck them, and fuck their online services.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:

I got the same games, I remember having some issues because idiots like me were clogging the pipes trying to get our free games.
Anyway.
I was thinkin' that, unless it's something else I'm a little confused here. I figured it was one of two possibilities: Either I was in a time tear when I got those games...

I'm sure the author's looking back on this and probably doesn't feel very good but I can't help it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I have to agree with the posters above. I got and played the welcome back games immediately. The OP is incorrect in part at least, though I would like some clarification about what this is talking about.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Yeah, Welcome back games were given in a pretty timely manner, within a month or two of the service return, if I recall correctly.

This looks to be compensation for people who actually took part in the class-action suit, and could pick between a PSN voucher or a slightly smaller cash reward. These also started coming out late November/Early December as I used mine on Dancing All Night DLC.
Probably some paperwork got hung up for this person, or they got the wrong voucher. And delays in large scale legal compensation should be expected. Five years is a long time, but it's not the delay in "Welcome Back" games the article claims it was.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, add me in the "Got the games way back when" (inFamous and Dead Nation, IIRC. I had most of the others already). I recall getting a PSN credit too, from signing up for the CA, last year sometime.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
So were you guys going to provide any clarification on exactly what it is Sony is giving away? Because it isn't the games from the welcome back program.

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
Every time I keep thinking I want a PS4 I keep getting reminded of what Sony is.
Not to mention the Wikileak'd emails showing they helped push TPP.

Screw it, I'm getting Cyber Squad and Disgaea 4 on a second hand Vita instead of a PS4.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
i filed out the thing to get a free game from the lawsuit that was ruled against sony in the hearing last year.. but i didn't get the email with the game code for the game i selected yet.. wonder why?

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
Huh? I got my games from the Welcome Back program years ago. The breach happened in April 2011 and we got the games from the Welcome Back program in June (or July? Pretty sure it was June) of 2011. It was so long ago the only one I remember getting was Wipeout HD.

What exactly are you talking about in this article?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ChaoGuy2006 said:
Every time I keep thinking I want a PS4 I keep getting reminded of what Sony is.
Not to mention the Wikileak'd emails showing they helped push TPP.

Screw it, I'm getting Cyber Squad and Disgaea 4 on a second hand Vita instead of a PS4.
The article is incorrect, we did get our games from the welcome back program.

This thing is something else and it looks like Steven is just going to leave it incorrect.