Sony is Making a Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
*shuffles papers* So, new sonic movie right? Over a decade late for that to be relevant, and many bad games for that to seem an easy success. It could be the nail in the coffin it's diehards have been building for quite some time. If it was me? I'd go as big as I could get with it, and script it in the same dark humor that Sonic SatAM was. Robotnik genuinely villainous, Sonic dropping the sludge of 90s characterization. Kill Tails, if nothing more then to have that one moment that freaks the fans out.

Sofox

Jan 3, 2014
I'm surprised by the lack of knowledge here regarding Sonic's storytelling potential.

Sonic has had 4 animated TV series (a 5th on the way), a 1 hour long animated movie, and 2 long running comic series, one of which lasted 9 years, the other of which started in 1993 and continues to this day (not to mention it's assorted spin offs).

A full feature movie would be a drop in the ocean compared to the huge amount of storytelling that has already been done with Sonic and Sonic-related universes.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
MovieBob said:
"live-action/CGI hybrid"
Welp, that isn't a good sign.
Those were my thoughts too.... All I can think of if is things like Smurfs and Yogi Bear... how awful THEY turned out. Pure animation would've been a better bet, like what Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper are doing. I just can't see this working however they do it. Sonic and real Humans don't belong together, otherwise we may end up with something like a movie version of Sonic 06.... OH GOD NOOOO!!!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Sounding good, then I saw the live action/CGI part. Don't do that crap Sony. I don't want to see even a single frame of that awkward mess. Just go full CGI so the character designs don't clash. In fact you be wasting money having to pay a big name celeb who would still have to go through hours of hair and make up to look like Eggman. Just hire the games' VAs for slightly more than their usual salaries and skip giving oodles of money to overpaid Hollywood stars with no vocal range beyond their normal voice and, therefor, no business in a sound booth. You won't need star power to sell Sonic.

"There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog." There limitless stories to tell about a character made out of a steaming pile of fecal matter, but you don't see dozens of continuities about Mr. Hankey or the Great Mighty Poo, do you? Sony is just looking for another crutch to support their dying film studio, and considering how Spider Mehng turned out to be not as much of a cash cow as they had hoped, they'll probably green light a Sonic movie and at least one of the more reasonable ideas on that list. (If they make a Roller Coaster Tycoon movie, they deserve to go bankrupt. Battleship's sour taste still lingers in movie goers' throats.)
Chimpzy said:
Ok, Sony, take a step back and have a look at Eggman. He is a really goofy looking, not at all threatening cartoon character, isn't he? And you want a live actor to play him? Dear me, good luck with that.

Unless maybe... [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLM6kGfy4f4&feature=youtu.be&t=15s]
Thank you, Nostalgia Critic, for frightening Eggman clips. If they used SatAM's Robotnik look, I'd see it even if the movie was crap. I'd cease my embargo on movie theaters if they also based this movie on SatAM entirely.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Armadox said:
*shuffles papers* So, new sonic movie right? Over a decade late for that to be relevant, and many bad games for that to seem an easy success. It could be the nail in the coffin it's diehards have been building for quite some time. If it was me? I'd go as big as I could get with it, and script it in the same dark humor that Sonic SatAM was. Robotnik genuinely villainous, Sonic dropping the sludge of 90s characterization. Kill Tails, if nothing more then to have that one moment that freaks the fans out.
Two bad games are many now?

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Why not make it a normal animated feature? I predict it will turn out like the Smurf movies.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
"There are limitless stories to tell with a character like Sonic the Hedgehog."

Really? Really?

Well I see no way this endeavour could end badly, though that might just be because I have my safety blindfold on.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
*cringe* please go back on that, Robotnik despite his being a human is still as much of a cartoon character as the rest of the cast.

I agree a Sonic movie could work, and work really well...but ...screwing it up is so easy as well.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
RealRT said:
Armadox said:
Really? Out of all the things I said, that is the one thing you chose to focus on? Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic.. what's that one he's a werewolf. Yah, we'll add that one too. Sonic R. Now, obviously this was an opinion and you could easily have taken it as such, but it seems odd that you chose to call me out on that rather then discuss, say using a SatAM like script (or pulling from some of the comics). Hell, I'd have thought the killing Tails comment would have caused more issue.

*thinks it over* That being said, the live action doesn't actually bother me. Not really, you give it a good plot and get a decent studio to do the editing, and I can sit through it. I am just curious how they plan to represent actual speed in it, and how absolutely broken it'd be to watch if they tried to aim it for 3D. Blurry jump cuts framed by sloppy stop motion where they throw things at the screen. Radical!*

I don't know, honestly I'd like to see the Roboticizer as a threat. That'd amuse me.

* I hope I'm using that word right. I'm 28, and the 90s are fuzzy. Pogs still cool?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
MovieBob said:
"live-action/CGI hybrid"
Welp, that isn't a good sign.
Nope. No it is not. Reminds me of Sonic 06. Realistic people with cartoony characters like sonic. It just doesn't work... Who knows, maybe it'll be good. MAYBE... Probably not.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
crazygameguy4ever said:
there already was a sonic movie a while back in the late 1990s.. it was called Sonic the Hedgehog: the movie.. it had a english dub back in 2004... i think ADV put it out here in the US.. there apparently were some scenes removed because as a Japanese anime it had scene too "extreme for US viewers" Tails holding some chick named Sara's breasts in his hands.. Robotnik groping Sara, sonic looking up Sara's dress, sonic flipping someone off, a dream thing where Sara is pregnant and breastfeeding... wonder if their be any panty shots in this sonic film, lol
I remember that movie! So cheesy, so hammy - and so funny!

On topic: OK, this new concept reeks of turkey already, but I say we give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Come on: Who doesn't, on some level, WANT to see Dr. Eggman portrayed by a human actor? Who knows - if they can pull THAT off, there HAS to be hope!

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
MrHide-Patten said:
I can fathom people wanting to make a movie from a franchise with at least passable story telling (Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc), but Sonic? Yeesh, you'd think they'd learn something by the terrible reception ever game tends to get these days.
Now, you see, Sonic has the longest running video game comic series of all time.
There is so much to work off of in that comic that it will be hard for them to screw it up.
Unless they ignore that canon, of course.

venn2011

Apr 15, 2011
LOL is this for real?

First thing that came to my mind:

http://sonicmovie.ytmnd.com/

:p

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
This is going to be awful, isn't it?
Now before I go on, let me elaborate on one thing. I LOVE Sonic the Hedgehog, it's my favourite video game franchise and probably my favourite media franchise as well, and I can see why they would choose sonic to adapt because for a video game character his journeys into other media have actually been pretty successful.
But this movie is not going to be good.
First, its a live-action hybrid movie, and since every character except Dr Robotnik is a cartoon animal there's no reason to have it be partially live action unless it does the Smurfs shit and take it into "our world" which didn't work for the Smurfs either.
Two, it's production team looks AWFUL. Neal Moritz may have been behind 21/22 Jump Street but he was also behind xXx, Not another Teen Movie and the Fast and the Furious movies which is now up to what, number 7 in development, and two complete nobodies whose only previous work, an unpublished script for a Chewbacca movie was so awful it topped the 2011 Hollywood blacklist. We all remember how the Wookies made the Star Wars Christmas special so great, eh?
And three, there has yet to be a truly GOOD video game movie. I don't count Wreck It Ralph because that was a movie about video games than a video game movie, and although Sonic's previous alternate media have been generally viewed as mostly successful, it is much easier to write a single episode of a TV show or a single issue of a comic book than it is to write a 90 minute movie with a clear beginning, middle and end.
Four, does this really have to be a franchise?!! Can't they just have a self contained story that doesn't need to constantly be parasitcally fed on like a tarantula to the wasp maggots?
All in all, while this could be done right, this is NOT the right way to do it. All it's doing is reminding me of is the Smurfs movie an that is NOT a route that Sony want to take, and Sega doesn't need the extra black mark on the Sonic franchise. Please Sega/sony, just scrap this and start again. preferably as a full animated feature.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Armadox said:
RealRT said:
Armadox said:
Really? Out of all the things I said, that is the one thing you chose to focus on? Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic.. what's that one he's a werewolf. Yah, we'll add that one too. Sonic R. Now, obviously this was an opinion and you could easily have taken it as such, but it seems odd that you chose to call me out on that rather then discuss, say using a SatAM like script (or pulling from some of the comics). Hell, I'd have thought the killing Tails comment would have caused more issue.

*thinks it over* That being said, the live action doesn't actually bother me. Not really, you give it a good plot and get a decent studio to do the editing, and I can sit through it. I am just curious how they plan to represent actual speed in it, and how absolutely broken it'd be to watch if they tried to aim it for 3D. Blurry jump cuts framed by sloppy stop motion where they throw things at the screen. Radical!*

I don't know, honestly I'd like to see the Roboticizer as a threat. That'd amuse me.

* I hope I'm using that word right. I'm 28, and the 90s are fuzzy. Pogs still cool?
Sonic 06 and Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis (aka Sonic 1 for GBA) Shadow was mediocre (hell, it was far better than Heroes, for one thing), Unleashed was good, Sonic R was how many years ago?
SatAM and comics have gone a FAR different route from the games. Sonic X just plain sucked. They shouldn't rely on any of previous adaptations. Really, the moment they announce that Sally Acorn or, God forbid, Chris Thorndyke is in it, the movie's dead.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Sonic is not the franchise to turn into a movie. Sonic is know for it's absolutely terrible narratives. Why would you ever adapt sonic?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
God, just let the poor blue rodent die already.

I can't think of any movie based on a franchise that had the whole CGI/ Live Action treatment turn out well at all. Why not just go all the way with the CGI? Or hell, go with a 2D style? What happened to those kinds of movies?

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
As long as it's not based on the new terrible version of Sonic, the lanky dudebro with the goggles or whatever.