Sony: Keeping PSN Free on PS4 Would Have Been Too "Hard"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony: Keeping PSN Free on PS4 Would Have Been Too "Hard"

Sony believes the value of a PS Plus membership will outweigh the extra cost gamers will need to pay to play online with the PS4.

Since pretty much the day of the PS3's launch, the PlayStation Network has generally been considered inferior to Microsoft's Xbox Live in terms of features. Even seven years later, this tends to remain the case. That said, there has always been one area where the PSN has arguably trumped Xbox Live: price. Whereas doing pretty much anything online on the Xbox 360 requires a paid Gold subscription, the PS3's online functionality doesn't cost a cent. While Sony would eventually introduce paid PlayStation Plus memberships, these were optional and merely granted subscribers perks like free games and cloud based game saves

With the impending launch of the PS4 however, the current status quo will become a thing of the past. Online play on the PS4 will <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124821-PS4-Online-Multiplayer-Requires-PS-Subscription>require a PS Plus membership, adding a new cost for PlayStation gamers to absorb going into the next console generation. While there are likely some who see this as unfortunate, Sony would insist that it was time for things to change. "There's a ton of value in the network. We've built up the network over the years and made a significant investment... and it's quite honestly hard to keep everything [free]," said Eric Lempel, vice president of Sony Network Entertainment.

That said, Lempel believes that bonuses of a PS Plus membership outweigh the extra cost. "The investment in Plus gives the user a ton of value, so putting multiplayer in there will continue to help us build the network up for our users," he said. Lempel was also quick to point out that while the PS4's online multiplayer will be tied to PlayStation Plus, the console's third party apps won't be similarly restricted to subscribers. "We kept everything else free to the user. So for example, we've got 11 partner apps right off the bat," he said. "This is something [Microsoft] isn't doing." Whether or not that will be enough to placate fans used to free online is something we'll have to wait and see.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-13-playstation-plus-has-seen-significant-growth-says-sony>Games Industry International

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
To put this article simply, Sony wants to charge for a once free feature solely out of greed but they don't want to admit it to everybody because it would show what Sony really thinks of their customers: as nothing more than gullible walking wallets.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I doubt that I will be bothering with a Plus membership if I get a PS4 because I almost never use online multiplayer. I occasionally use it for Resident Evil 6 and Pokemon but thats it. At the end of the day online multiplayer just isn't enough of a draw for me to use it unless I have a friend I want to play a specific game with so it doesn't strike me as something that I would pay for.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
It's great that PS Plus gives away free games as part of the membership, but it still divides the user base.

There are a lot of people who bought a PS3(that I know of) because PSN was free, and now that has gone away, which is a bit troublesome, especially to the target market of consoles, ie, people who dont have the money or dont want to invest into a gaming pc.

Subscriptions always annoy me because of the divide they create of either subscribed/not subscribed, and besides, Steam still allows for free multiplayer, on what is supposedly a less popular market, yet the developers still manage to keep the servers running without secondary subscription fees.

It is nice that they are at least giving away PS Plus gift cards with every new PS4, so whilst I still dislike this, at least Sony are trying.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
It is very difficult for Valve too. Plus all those tiny indie studios on PC who offer multiplayer. Very difficult indeed. They're all bleeding cash for online play. It's a small wonder Valve even finds the money to keep their gas and electric turned on. I totally understand a multi-billion dollar company needing to charge for their online play, i really do. It's not like they get revenue from every game sold on their system or anything...

Ah well 'free online play' for SteamOS is another boon, as if they needed one, for the steam box as a competitor to the console space.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I'll believe their arguments when they allow for direct IP connection options for games and other apps.

I'm already paying for an internet connection, and direct IP connections are a basic feature of any internet-capable framework, so there is no valid excuse to remove said capabilities.

If they (and I'm not restricting this opinion to Sony, but rather to any and all online service providers) want to add extra value for a fee, no problem, but locking out the basics to force me into said premium service is unacceptable.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
It is nice that they are at least giving away PS Plus gift cards with every new PS4, so whilst I still dislike this, at least Sony are trying.
You wouldn't say that if you knew marketing, every smart crack dealer knows to give the first hit for free then people know what they are missing, then they crave it, and in the grand scheme of things Sony will make far more money on jonesing customers then lose giving "gifts".

What this boils down to is their competition isn't doing anything for free so now they don't have to either.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
ive always felt comfortable with the split they did on the ps3 of plus and non plus services, making plus the bare minimum to play online to me strikes more of greed then costs in expanding or needing to keep the services running. its not a Plus if its Required, its why i liked my ps3 so much, and why im likely not gonna be getting a ps4 for a long time

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Seriously people, it's like $4 a month. Plus you actually get GOOD free games (like Saint's Row 3) not only on the PS3/4 but also for the Vita. Quit bitching.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
You wouldn't say that if you knew marketing, every smart crack dealer knows to give the first hit for free then people know what they are missing, then they crave it, and in the grand scheme of things Sony will make far more money on jonesing customers then lose giving "gifts".

What this boils down to is their competition isn't doing anything for free so now they don't have to either.
"At least"

Subscriptions are still BS to me.

But this wouldn't be a problem if PC Gaming was a juggernaut market, because then Sony would immediately pack that shit in, as no such BS exists on Steam.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I call bull. It's not "too hard" to make something free.

I thought $60.00 should've gone to the cost of the entire product. Including multiplayer of the game. It's not our fault every game has to shove the feature in there for the sake of a selling point.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
$4.17 a month (or $0.14 a day) doesn't seem that bad for online multiplayer, especially since you get 5+ games a month out of it spread across 3 systems. It's not just ancient or bad games either, just in the last 4 months I've got Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, XCOM, Hitman: Absolution, Saint's Row 3, Kingdom's of Amalur plus a ton of Vita, PSP, indie games. That doesn't even include the sales...

And if online multiplayer or free games isn't your bag, then that's fine, you can still use all of the media apps for no more than your subscription to those services. I don't see a problem with what Sony is doing.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
superline51 said:
Seriously people, it's like $4 a month. Plus you actually get GOOD free games (like Saint's Row 3) not only on the PS3/4 but also for the Vita. Quit bitching.
I don't care. That's what we pay internet for. That's what I payed $60.00 for the game for.

I'm not going to dish out $4.00 a year for something that was free last year.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Akichi Daikashima said:
That's just to get you hooked.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
There is literally no explanation for where this money is actually going or how it makes online play any better, any chance you could manage a straight answer instead of simply telling us that "it's definitely better than XBone". How about comparing the PS4 to PC? Got any compelling benefits that this subscription provides?

That said I've been a plus member for a year and a half now and I've got to admit it is ridiculously good value just for the huge number of good games you get over the course of a year for your money. I still disapprove of Sony getting money from every gamer who wants to play online unless Sony will be improving said online system substantially enough to justify the cost to said gamers but at least Plus is a decent service.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
To put this article simply, Sony wants to charge for a once free feature solely out of greed but they don't want to admit it to everybody because it would show what Sony really thinks of their customers: as nothing more than gullible walking wallets.
Or that running thousands of cloud servers has a stupidly high maintenance cost that was slowly bleeding half their profits away. As someone in the Cloud-Tech field I'm amazed they managed to survive at all doing it for free this long.

Fortunately I never play online, so this change doesn't effect me. I'm glad they still understand that charging me to use a service like Netflix that I already pay for is silly, just like every other hardware company that has the same apps, except for Microsoft.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Battenberg said:
There is literally no explanation for where this money is actually going or how it makes online play any better, any chance you could manage a straight answer instead of simply telling us that "it's definitely better than XBone". How about comparing the PS4 to PC? Got any compelling benefits that this subscription provides?

That said I've been a plus member for a year and a half now and I've got to admit it is ridiculously good value just for the huge number of good games you get over the course of a year for your money. I still disapprove of Sony getting money from every gamer who wants to play online unless Sony will be improving said online system substantially enough to justify the cost to said gamers but at least Plus is a decent service.
They've made improvements to how multiplayer works. It's much closer to what we saw with XBL last gen, with features like being able to jump directly into a buddies multiplayer match, and joining matchmaking with a premade party of people. They have also finally added a party voice chat for up to 8 people, so I can communicate with my crew of gamer friends during a match without being screamed at by an uppity 12 year old. On top of those changes you get your regular PS Plus benefits, which I was going to keep paying for anyways. Those reasons may not be enough for some people to justify paying for the service but I'm ok with it.

Also, free to play games (Planetside 2, Warframe, Blacklight: Retribution) and their multiplayer aren't locked behind PS PLUS, and neither are any streaming services you may already pay for.