Sony Launching Streaming PS3 Library Next Year

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Launching Streaming PS3 Library Next Year

Sony will use its Gaikai cloud service to provide a streamable PS3 library for PS4 and Vita.

One of the arguable disappointments of the PlayStation 4 was the revelation that it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/10215-Why-the-PS4-Doesnt-Do-PS3-Games>wouldn't be backwards compatible with software from the PlayStation 3. That being the case, Sony has now confirmed that the PS4 won't be leaving the PS3 completely behind. Rather, Sony plans to use Gakai, the cloud gaming service it <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118212-Sony-Buys-Gaikai-Cloud-Gaming-Service>purchased in 2012, to offer a streaming PS3 library starting in 2014.

According to SCE president Shuhei Yoshida, the service, which would reportedly be similar in style to Netflix, will launch with a moderate library of PS3 titles available from the get-go. The list of included games will then be gradually expanded as time goes on. Rather than being restricted to just the PS4, the announced streaming service will also be accessible via the PlayStation Vita and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127573-PS-Vita-TV-Is-a-Game-Boy-Player-For-The-Vita>recently announced Vita TV. Yoshida wasn't able to confirm a more specific launch window than 2014 but he was able to say that Europe will gain access to the service following the North American launch.

While this is perhaps not the equivalent of backwards compatibility that some would like to see, this could nonetheless be a good compromise. That being the case, there are details currently left out that are arguably pertinent to how sweet a deal the streaming library will really be. Thus far there been no mention of a price tag for the service and, while we'd like to hope it will just be lumped together with Sony's already robust <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124821-PS4-Online-Multiplayer-Requires-PS-Subscription>PlayStation Plus offerings, we have a creeping feeling that a separate charge might be necessary to make this worth Sony's while. Hopefully more clarifying details will emerge in the near future.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/sony-plans-to-launch-gaikai-ps3-library-in-2014>IGN

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I expect this to run more like Sky Movies than Netflix.

The streaming service will be free to PSN/+ people, but you will have to buy or rent the individual games within the library.

I am just hoping that they are smart enough to put all the PS3 exclusives into the opening library, because that would be yet another huge reason for any 360 user to move to PS4 rather than XBOne.

Means I can finally play those games I wanted to but never could (MGS4, Kingdom Hearts ReCOM, Infamous).

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Good news, I will eventually be able to play The Last of Us and other PS3 games in my backlog.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Since the PS1 & PS2 ran at relatively low resolutions, I wonder if those games would be cheaper to stream because of it.
It would actually make buying a PS4 quite a tempting concept to have all their back catalogue available for purchase / rent or whatever they go with.
I imagine they might not have the rights to actually sell the old games they didn't make however, and in cases where the publisher has shut since shut down, may be unable to negotiate something,
be interesting anyway.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If this ends up having a seperate charge it would be a bit annoying but if it had the entire Playstation back catalog and had no limitations on how much you could stream it might actually be worth it, although only for people with a decent internet connection. It would have been a good feature to have closer to launch too, although a nebuous '2014' date could mean it is timed to be available for the Japanese launch.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
I wonder how tall of an order it would be to hope that this will allow for out current ps3's to remote play on out ps4's?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Given that 'true' backwards compatibility requires the actual hardware of each old console, this is the best option available. Otherwise companies like Sony would simply go bankrupt from building a PlayStation 1+2+3+4. Even though those ancient parts would theoretically be immeasurably cheaper, by this time they are exactly that: Ancient. Old parts no longer in common production require specialized orders and equipment, and does not benefit as much from the cost reduction of bulk production.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
But i guess it's only going to be the most popular titles and not so much any of the good (and hard to find) stuff, so eh... If it's going to be like their ps1 and especially ps2 classics the Europe is going to get screwed over and it will take ages before there is a decent line-up of games (Still waiting for those ps2 titles).

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
What I'm wondering right now is what would happen with the physical PS3 discs I already own. Would I have to purchase those games all over again through Gakai? Or would I be able to log those games as having been purchased so I wouldn't have to pay for them a second time?

Other than that, good on ya Sony! Being able to stream our PS3 libraries almost right from the get go would be a good boon to the PS4's first year.

Jun 20, 2013
Hooray! Now I can both buy and rent games I already own! To hell with hardware-based emulation. And what's that you say?Software-based emulation through virtualization? PSHAW ...

It really burns my chaps that I literally build servers inside of servers and use virtualization to work dozens of software-machines into one hardware device to hear companies like Sony and Microsoft BALD-FACE LIE about backwards compatibility. Now they offer up a "streaming" service?!?

TiberiusEsuriens said:
Given that 'true' backwards compatibility requires the actual hardware of each old console, this is the best option available. Otherwise companies like Sony would simply go bankrupt from building a PlayStation 1+2+3+4. Even though those ancient parts would theoretically be immeasurably cheaper, by this time they are exactly that: Ancient. Old parts no longer in common production require specialized orders and equipment, and does not benefit as much from the cost reduction of bulk production.
Given experience in helping administrate hundreds of simultaneously live emulated services on an enterprise-network, I can say that "true backwards compatibility" is largely irrelevant. Despite the approach to the unique chipset-architecture of the PS3, there are plenty of work-arounds to the issue. They're simply too lazy or scared (of competing against with themselves via an existing library) to invest in it.

I guess I'll have to stick with the PC-Master Gaming Race this generation and hope my PS3 doesn't wear-out. At least until the Console Manufacturers pull their heads out of their nethers on a regular feeding-basis.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Lo Flying Frying Pan said:
Hooray! Now I can both buy and rent games I already own! To hell with hardware-based emulation. And what's that you say?Software-based emulation through virtualization? PSHAW ...

It really burns my chaps that I literally build servers inside of servers and use virtualization to work dozens of software-machines into one hardware device to hear companies like Sony and Microsoft BALD-FACE LIE about backwards compatibility. Now they offer up a "streaming" service?!?
The Gakai service was announced over a year ago, so I don't see why you're quite so shocked. I definitely agree that rebuying games is stupid. Gabe Newell has been hounding on that fact a bunch recently as well.

Playing devil's advocate, The one 'hidden gem' in here is that if the entertainment industry switches more towards this license and stream model, any games purchased (along with saves and stats) on the servers *should* migrate with you when lets say you go from PS4 to PS5, as the service your console subscribes to wouldn't change in the slightest. Yes, it is almost guaranteed any company will purposely screw with this and us in order to get more money, but the core concept is pure gold. What I'd like to know before passing judgement is pricing; is this included in PS+? It is compared to netflix and gamefly, so is it pay per game or flat subscription? Either way, this service alone could greatly increase the number of new units shipped and sold.

The devil is in the details, not the idea. Depending on how they handle this service they could either hit a home run or lift a middle finger to their entire consumer base.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I hope that if it isn't part of the PSN experience it will operate like Netflix for PS3 games, unless the price was too steep that is something I'd happily subscribe to.

Jun 20, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
The Gakai service was announced over a year ago, so I don't see why you're quite so shocked. I definitely agree that rebuying games is stupid. Gabe Newell has been hounding on that fact a bunch recently as well.
Not really shocked, just annoyed to the point of seething. Having the issue pop back up just reaffirms my protests with the next console generation. Every new emergence seems to be a step backwards or sideways. Just wishful that the current advancements in the technology could make regular use of the former technology for the convenience of the customer.

For now I shall apologize and channel my bitter rage into creative stuff ... like origami and woodcraft.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Not really shocked, just annoyed to the point of seething. Having the issue pop back up just reaffirms my protests with the next console generation. Every new emergence seems to be a step backwards or sideways. Just wishful that the current advancements in the technology could make regular use of the former technology for the convenience of the customer.

For now I shall apologize and channel my bitter rage into creative stuff ... like origami and woodcraft.
I totally understand that feeling. unfortunately the possibilities that we see will never happen because they benefit the consumers so much that these companies would not be able to support their businesses with the current budgets. All these types of bigger investments have very little return value, therefore they are not viable. That sideways step is the best we can ever expect to get.

Jun 20, 2013
TiberiusEsuriens said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:

I totally understand that feeling. unfortunately the possibilities that we see will never happen because they benefit the consumers so much that these companies would not be able to support their businesses with the current budgets. All these types of bigger investments have very little return value, therefore they are not viable. That sideways step is the best we can ever expect to get.

Here's to PCSX3 ...

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Being someone who no longer owns a PS3 and really wants the Vita to succeed, THIS is what it really needed. If this is any good, this should be the reason for people to get a Vita over the 3DS, because it is a fantastic concept.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Unless you can claim all the PS3 titles you already own for no extra cost by putting the disc in the tray, this is a complete waste of time.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
This would be awesome if the majority of people in the world didn't have bandwith caps of 150 or 100 kb/s. Or just no internet at all. I highly doubt the average person can take advantage of this without games becoming a pixellated, stuttering mess as those of us who use netflix can usually never stream above 360 or 480p the majority of the time.

Seriously, the ONLY thing keeping me from purchasing a next-gen console right now is just that there's no backwards-compatibility.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Interesting idea. I'd like to hear more details. Will there be a fee? What about games I already own?

All things considered, I don't think it's bad news. It serves as a workaround that could be beneficial in the long run. Imagine this service still being available when the PS7 is out, allowing you to play PS3-6 games from Day One.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
TiberiusEsuriens said:
basically this. its completely unpractical to build real backward compact-ability when you are changing the hardware this much and streaming them could be the best solution. still, this wont apply to everyone as sadly internet is still scarce apparently.
Makes me wonder though, if they can stream it to PS4, which is basically a costum PC, could they stream it to actual PC? Id love to play quite a few PS3 exclusives on PC. funny thing, there is a list of PS3 exclusive id like to play, but none Xbox explusives interest me.