Sony Licenses Everything From T-Shirts to Toasters

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Sony's new official licensing program could see a dizzying array of products labeled with logos from the PlayStation line.

Sony recently unveiled its new "PlayStation Logo Licensing Program" which will allow businesses to label their products with PlayStation imagery and logos. This appears to be an expansion of a similar deal from last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90973-Sony-Signs-Licensing-Deal-for-PlayStation-Toys-and-Snacks] that was only with a single entity. Now, anybody and everybody is free to enter into a licensing agreement with Sony to brand their so-called "lifestyle products" with the PlayStation name.

This program does not include gaming peripherals. Sony says the deal covers "apparel, accessories, housewares and more." These products can be designed using the logo of any Sony gaming system such as the PlayStation 3 or the PSPgo, or with the apparently trademarked circle, square, x, and triangle controller button marks. Licensees will be able to put the "Official Licensed Product" logo on their products to signify that it has the full backing of Sony.

Okay, so we've got apparel, which means t-shirts, hats, mittens and such. Accessories probably refers to items such as wallets and umbrellas. But housewares?

When someone says housewares, I think of pots, pans, kitchen knives, and blenders: the last places you might expect to see the PlayStation 3 controller's buttons or an image of the PSPgo. Could someone out there have a Sony-branded fondue set in the works? I can see it now: "You can only dip your meat in Everything." Get ready for a ton of random stuff out there to be associated with Sony products, if enough companies take Sony up on this new program.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:

Sony's new official licensing program could see a dizzying array of products labeled with logos from the PlayStation line.

Sony recently unveiled its new "PlayStation Logo Licensing Program" which will allow businesses to label their products with PlayStation imagery and logos. This appears to be an expansion of a similar deal from last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90973-Sony-Signs-Licensing-Deal-for-PlayStation-Toys-and-Snacks] that was only with a single entity. Now, anybody and everybody is free to enter into a licensing agreement with Sony to brand their so-called "lifestyle products" with the PlayStation name.

This program does not include gaming peripherals. Sony says the deal covers "apparel, accessories, housewares and more." These products can be designed using the logo of any Sony gaming system such as the PlayStation 3 or the PSPgo, or with the apparently trademarked circle, square, x, and triangle controller button marks. Licensees will be able to put the "Official Licensed Product" logo on their products to signify that it has the full backing of Sony.

Okay, so we've got apparel, which means t-shirts, hats, mittens and such. Accessories probably refers to items such as wallets and umbrellas. But housewares?

When someone says housewares, I think of pots, pans, kitchen knives, and blenders: the last places you might expect to see the PlayStation 3 controller's buttons or an image of the PSPgo. Could someone out there have a Sony-branded fondue set in the works? I can see it now: "You can only dip your meat in Everything." Get ready for a ton of random stuff out there to be associated with Sony products, if enough companies take Sony up on this new program.

"You can only dip your meat in Everything."

...Wow. It is just too easy to make a joke about Japanese ero industry with that.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
...I'm so confused. This is going to go wrong in so many ways. I assume as long as they aren't being given a bad image (Sex toys, weapons, bongs) Sony will let anyone in on this deal. I can't wait for a future of sony branded doorknobs and slipcovers.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Are they going to start selling DIY stickers? I always wanted a Playstation brand Toilet seat or Playstation Brand 360 Controller.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
MUST... HAVE... PLAYSTATION... LICENSED... CONDOMS... ALSO...

PLAYSTATION LICENSED BACON

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I was going to say isn't this like Sega's Seal of Quality or Official Nintendo Product but I guess I was wrong. "Wow that's an officially licensed Sony asshat? Oh man that is tubular!"

I love nothing more than walking around as a human advertisement who pays the company to wear the advertisement.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Oh good more pointless branding so tools can pay extra money to wear billboards for sony... Well why the hell not people already do it for budwieser and marlboro. I wear a shirt with a company logo on it... but they pay me to... not the other way around.

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
I am laughing at the "You can only dip your meat in EVERYTHING" comment.
The teenage mind is a beautiful thing, is it not?
In other news, I find this kinda shameless. Oh well, money is money. Money makes the world go round...

But was that joke intentional? Or is that just teenage years coming in?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Am I reading this right? Sony bleach? Sony milk? Sony H.D.T.P. perhaps, for when we're especially backed up and Charmin won't do?

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
"Introducing Sony branded marital aides! Why play games when you can- I can't finish that joke in good taste :p

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
"Honey, come get your Play-flles! They're fresh out of the Toast-Station!"
"No thanks ma, I'm gonna put on my PSweater and play outside with Billy."
"Alright, just pick up a St-acket while you're at it."

This had me thinking of one of those old-timey movies in the style of Fallout 3 with a conversation like that.

But hey, if you're going to brand something, might as well go all the way :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well consider that Sony is more than a video game console manufacturer, that's a sideline for them. Their first priority is and always has been electronics, and truthfully they have gotten so big it's impossible to say all of what they are into... however the Sony name carries some weight when it comes to quality for things like TVs, Video Players, and other products.

I think the implication they are trying to create is that a product they are allowing someone to pay to liscence has their stamp of approval. The PS symbology being recognized without actually saying "Sony" on it. The idea being that by paying them for the approval and the right to use the mark, the people selling electronics products and such will hopefully increase their sales due to the perception that goes along with it.

When it comes to housewares, while it became a sideline I remember being told that Sony's first product like was actually rice cookers.

That said, logo merchandise can be quite hot, and as far as the T-shirts, and such go I can see that working out fairly well, even though I've never got into the whole "Logo" thing. In general I think someone should be paying me if I advertise for them, not vice versa. The toys I can also see due to kids playing video games and all.

The one to watch out for though is that I'd imagine someone is going to want to do something like release an "official Playstation TV" with the implication that it's a mate to the console, even though the TV won't be manufactured by Sony. Indeed stuff like that is probably the entire idea, Sony looking to see if they can effectively make money off their own competition by letting them use their labels.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I don't have any good jokes right now, so i'll just ask: WHY? What is the point of those shenanigans? I have to say, i never really understood - and never will - what kind of thought process makes marketers do bizzare stuff like this. Just plain can't see what are they trying to achieve - well, except getting some cash off the fanboys, which just seems petty to me. Maybe they are all otherworldly beings who try to conquer our planet with completely unfitting methods?