Sony Lifts One to Michael in Awesome PS3 Ad

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Lifts One to Michael in Awesome PS3 Ad

Sony's new PlayStation ad serves up a hilarious ensemble cheer to the true heroes of gaming.

Is it too late to slip in another zing at Sony for the oddball ads it served up in the early days of the PlayStation 3? Probably, but I think it bears a mention anyway, if only to remind everyone of the huge turnaround from the days of the freaky baby doll to the era of Kevin Butler. Whatever advertising mojo Sony found when it came up with the idea of the B-Man (he's not a real vice-president of anything, you know), it's obviously still got it.

Who do you recognize? I see Nathan Drake, Ghost, the guy from Infamous, Joe Mauer, Solid Snake, Kratos and... Sweettooth and Sackboy playing chess? It's like some Bizarro World Romper Room in there.

Nicely done, Sony, and to you too, Michael. Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I'm unsure who Michael is, maybe that's the point. Epic advert non-the-less!

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
That was a pretty good ad in my opinion. The effects were a bit cheesy, and the actors didn't really look like their game counterparts in a lot of ways, and the overall effect shared the same sort of cheesy feel as the effects themselves. But it was fairly clever. Though I think they should have left the 'Michael' character faceless to make things a bit more interesting. That might just be me though.

I also thought it was interesting that there were plenty of multiplatform characters in there. Not a bad thing per say, but it almost feels like Sony's trying to 'claim' them. I also wonder if they got permission from each game dev (or if they needed to) to use their character's likeness.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TimeLord said:
Just a name for "the user."

What else needs to be explained? They are all telling stories about the turning points of their lives, and "michael" is responsible. Michael is the player.

Also, love the fact the article only says "The guy from InFamous." I guess Cole really is Blandy McBland.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Saw that really creepy clown from Twisted metal(Thanks for Horny Ico for correcting me on this.

The Chimera totally stole the Trailer, even if it didn't have a speaking part.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
See Sony, this is what Playstation Home should look like!

Kinda reminds me of this Playstation add.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That's pretty damn awesome!! Love the idea, and execution, and the costumes are really good. Excellent trailer!

bride_of_lister

Dec 12, 2007
Aww that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I think they chose the references well too. The choice of characters made me think of some of the most moving moments I've had in games too. Ezio's family, the end of Bioshock 2, the end of Portal 2 and MGS4. I'm sure there are more associations in there for people who've played the other games too.

jerrrry

I Miss Doraleous.
Oct 26, 2009
I liked Nathan Drake talking to Lightning. I think the best part, though was definitely Sackboy moving the chess piece.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Nice to see they used characters from outside of Sony's franchises.
Kapol said:
I also thought it was interesting that there were plenty of multiplatform characters in there. Not a bad thing per say, but it almost feels like Sony's trying to 'claim' them. I also wonder if they got permission from each game dev (or if they needed to) to use their character's likeness.
Must had, or in some earlier contract when developers ported games onto the PS3 sony got the right to use the game with all it´s continent in ads et.c

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TimeLord said:
We're all Michael.

OT: I cracked when Ezio popped out of nowhere.

Apr 28, 2008
I saw Chell!

She ran in the background of the Clown playing Chess with Sackboy.

Anyway, sweet commercial. Kind of a disappointment, since I expected a bit more. But eh, could be worse.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Horny Ico said:
vrbtny said:
Saw that really creepy clown from Batman : Arkham Asylum.

The Chimera totally stole the Trailer, even if it didn't have a speaking part.
The clown is from Twisted Metal, unfortunately.
Is he? Oh... yeah, ignore me. Thanks for the correction.

Goes back and applies edits.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
It was a good trailer... but I'm sort of sad it was a Sony-exclusive thing. I would have killed to see Mario, Link, Samus, Pikachu, Master Chief, or Marcus Fenix in there, because they're apart of my gaming life too, just as much as Nathan Drake or Kratos.

Oh well.