Sony "Looking At" Charging for PSN

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony "Looking At" Charging for PSN

PlayStation Network boss Peter Dille [http://www.us.playstation.com/corporate/about/management/peterdille.html] says Sony is "looking at" charging for access to the PlayStation Network and that it won't be long before PS3 sales surpass that of the Xbox 360.

The Sony Computer Entertainment [http://uk.playstation.com/psn/] CEO Kaz Hirai that the company is thinking about charging for the service.

"It's been our philosophy not to charge for it from launch up until now, but Kaz recently went on the record as saying that's something we're looking at," Dille said in an interview with IGN [http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1065686p1.html]. "I can confirm that as well. That's something that we're actively thinking about."

It's not an entirely surprising bit of news, given that Sony continues to make significant investments into the online service, making improvements to the interface, adding more original programming and developing Home [http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Home]. "Home is a three-dimensional community and environment that isn't possible on the other platforms and wasn't imagined by anyone other than the folks at Sony," he said. "It's grown up in the last couple years, but quite frankly it's still in beta. And we'll take that beta moniker off of it when we think all the functionality that we imagined when we launched the service is there and to the point where we want it to be. But it's still very much something that's evolving as we go."

He also predicted that in spite of its later start, the PlayStation 3 would soon surpass the Xbox 360 in worldwide units sold. "I don't think they'll be around in 10 years so I'm very confident we'll pass them within that time frame. I mean, we've got 31 million [units sold] worldwide right now - they've got 39 million [units sold]," he said. "I don't even need to go out 10 years... You look at where we are today and where they are today, and they had an opportunity to sprint as far ahead of us as possible when they had the head start. Well, we're breathing down their necks and they can see us in the rearview mirror and it's not going to take too long to pass them."

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Charging for PSN? Oh...I see the legion of angry fanboys now...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I have heard that the PSN will be free but you can pay for extras. Like a PSN+ of sorts

However I don't mind paying for PSN if the service rivals XBL

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
No one's ever happy when something that was originally free gets a price tag, no matter how small. I can understand Sony's motivations, but I'm not sure how it will work out for them.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Sony Sony Sony... Stop saying things that will put people off. If you want to charge for PSN, then do so, but don't say "We are thinking about it". Not a good thing when free multiplayer is one of your selling points.

Brickcups

May 27, 2009
TimeLord said:
I have heard that the PSN will be free but you can pay for extras. Like a PSN+ of sorts
I hope that's what they're talking about, but that doesn't seem to be the vibe that I'm getting from this.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
"They're breathing down Microsoft's necks and they can see Sony in the rear view mirror."

I know what he's trying to say but it really doesn't make sense if you think about it.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
If Sony charges for PSN they they'll lose any advantage over live (I do prefer live anyways). The only thing PSN has over live besides being free is that literally no one uses a head set so no one has the chance to become a douche.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Buuuullshit if they start charging. As far as i am concerned one of the selling points and features of the PS3 is the free internet access. Taking that away would be a breach of my statutory rights in my mind. I spent extra on the PS3 instead of an Xbox because the extra cost helps cover the PSN, its part of the price of the console ffs. They fucking better not start charging.

Just stop wasting time, money and resources on that piece of shit that no one uses called home.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Well, just got my PS3 for Christmas, haven't tried online play with anything, and looks like I'm not going to if I'll have to pay. Already have to pay for internet.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
TimeLord said:
like the free apps on facebook?
Brickcups said:
TimeLord said:
I hope that's what they're talking about, but that doesn't seem to be the vibe that I'm getting from this.
It doesn't sound like what they are saying in this article, however what I have heard is that: PSN will be free for what you get now but you can pay a service fee for getting early demos and Betas etc

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Okay I can see if Sony would charge for a Premium Account (I'd pay for it), but they should at bare minimum keep the ability to play online free.
Maybe make buying stuff off the store part of a premium account?
Just a thought.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I love how they're still determined to ram Home down the throats of their customers, as if they can't just admit they not only ripped off Second Life but did it badly (which is hard to do), and are determined to fix the thing in the hopes people will stop laughing at it.
PayJ567 said:
If they improve it MASSIVELY then charging will be fair.
Not really. You don't offer something for free then decide you want to charge for it. It's entirely backwards.

For example, in the early days of consumer Internet it used to be they would charge you $20 per hour of usage. As the service became more widely available and better it then changed to a monthly flat rate. More people subscribe as a result, and the ISPs retain their profits.

What Sony is doing would be like going back to that hourly charge. And I know they're at least letting the basic "connect and play" have no cost, but let's look at Home again (though we really shouldn't).

If you want to start a group (club)? Costs money. Want to customize your avatar? Costs money (at least for more/better stuff, and you thought Microsoft was the only one who did this). Want to create machinima (yes, seriously)? Costs money. Yet connecting to Home is free. It's a very carrot and stick approach though since it's Home it's more like Carrot dipped in arsenic and Stick covered in spikes.

My point being that there is a wealth of things Sony could charge you to do on the PSN if they started having "premium" services. Plus it'll probably start creating a shallow image/status war between users who don't know any better in terms of having Premium content being the trendy thing to do. I don't like it if only because it feels really two-faced to hook people in with a free service then introduce a tier of stuff that costs the users money. At least with Microsoft they were already charging people and planning to charge people the whole time, though I'd rather not get into a debate over whether or not it's worth $50 a year to use Xbox Live.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The ability to play online for free has been a good selling point for Sony, why fuck it up now?

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96983-Possible-Details-of-PSN-Premium-Membership-Leaked

... I wouldn't mind paying for even *some* of that. Music? Free games? Bring it.

Exclusive in-game content can take a hike though, there are enough problems around DLC (like launch-day DLC, paying to unlock data already on the disc, etc) without a third-party network service piling on as well.

Also: dear Sony please let me organize my Friends list and not have to scroll through it end-to-end. Cavemen did better.