Sony Loses $18.5 Million Patent Lawsuit

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Sony Loses $18.5 Million Patent Lawsuit

Stealing is lucrative, until you get caught.

With the economic situation still rather dismal, game publishers are hungrily eying consumers' wallets in hopes of strong sales this holiday season. What a bad time to have to fork over millions of dollars for a lapse in judgment. This week, a Texas jury ruled Sony ruled [http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/11/18/sony-fined-18-5-million-in-patent-infringement-case/] Sony's violation of the patents was willful. Naughty!

Agere Systems filed the lawsuit over two years ago and has since merged with the California-based computer electronics company LSI Corporation [http://www.lsi.com/]. The latter specializes in "silicon, systems and software technologies that enable products which seamlessly bring people, information and digital content together."

In the suit, Agere Systems claimed [http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/07/17/sony-sued-for-patent-infringements/] Sony had intentionally violated the patent, and it sought a heftier fine from the court - reportedly up to three times the typical amount. Sony responded by arguing it owned the rights to seven of the eight patents in question through prior transactions. It also countered by pointing the finger at Agere Systems for allegedly obtaining the patents by improper means. Agere Systems said that was a load of crap and insisted on a jury trial.

Sounds like another contest over who's got the biggest...portfolio size.

Nov 28, 2007
After doing a bit of research on my own (namely, finding out the patent used and the text of same patent), this is one of th few times I agree with the people who filed the lawsuit.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
*whistles*

They proved willful infringement? That's supposedly hard as hell to prove in most cases, I'm impressed. Brace yourself for being made an example to others, Sony.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Sony lost one concerning their "Dual Shock" controllers too. They routinely and willfully violate other companies' patents and rely on their lawyers to get them out of it.

But after the first judgment that it was willful, getting another one is as simple as saying, "They did it once, they have a pattern."

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
This almost makes up for the NGE on SW:G.
...What?

Anyway, so continues the patent fighting for seventh generation consoles. Surprise, surprise.

Feb 13, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
...What?

Anyway, so continues the patent fighting for seventh generation consoles. Surprise, surprise.
They got handed their ass for stealing, it almost makes up for some of their other 'genius' ideas to make them more money by pissing off their audience.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
Is it just me or has there been something everyday this week talking about another mistake made by Sony?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Rezfon said:
Is it just me or has there been something everyday this week talking about another mistake made by Sony?
Probably because they keep making mistakes, I think. It kinda goes against the whole "news reporting" aspect of the site if they don't report the news :p

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Boo Hoo, sucks to be you Sony. :)

Buwhahahahaha!!!!!!!! Take it Sony. Take it again and again.

This is cause for celebration!!!

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Rezfon said:
Pretty much. I'm quietly giggling to myself to be honest. I love when big companies fuck up.

Canadianwookie

Oct 9, 2008
Poor poor sony.

Broadcaster: Within the console war this week, the Army of the Sony Republic was again hit by massive losses, but this time on their own soil. Despite their best efforts, it would seem they may be effectively losing this war. The Microsoft Coalition Force and The Royal Nintendo Army are still yet to comment.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Rezfon said:
No, it's pretty much everyone else to.

As much as I love my PS3 and my Sony products, I gotta say, they're fucking up alot nowadays.

Jake Lockley

Apr 23, 2008
Intentional just means they thought they could win in court.

Also SW:G is now being run by SOE, not the hardware company. Yeah they are all Sony, but that's like saying Quantum of Solace sucks so getting sued for patent infringement makes up for it.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
actually the district they got "owned" in is very sympathetic to ppl who have patents. it's why most ppl try their "patent infringement" cases in that particular venue

look it up and then you'll see how many case have been tried there and it's rather disproportionate to other venues