Sony May Add Backward Compatibility to the PS4

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
bluegate said:
iseko said:
I wanted to buy a ps4 for my gf. Problem is that she has a fuckton of ps2-ps3 games. Most of them she wouldn't be that pissed off for if she could not play them. But the god of war series and oblivion... Yea she'd be pissed. If those games work on the ps4 then you have just gotten yourself a sale.
Would you take away her PS3 and PS2 when giving her a PS4 then?
Her ps3 (first generation) is starting to act up. She doesn't have a ps2 anymore. So yea I would get rid of her ps3 probably. I wouldn't if it still worked properly though.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I was worried what I'd do once my PS2 stopped working. They don't make them anymore. If Sony can give me a PS4 with the backward compatibility of even the 80GB PS3 (PS1, PS2 games that are "limited"), I will buy a PS4.

If they're using the same definition of "limited" that they used when describing the backward compatibility of the PS3, it won't be half bad. Maybe a stretchy screen (with the ability to fix it), and some minor frame rate and texture issues.

Although Wild Arms 5 just refused to work on my PS3.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Chaosritter said:
Eh, I wouldn't make so much fuzz about it.

There are plenty of great emulators by now (which of course nobody would ever use with anything but legit discs in the drive ;)) and used PSX/PS2 are dirt cheap.
Sure, but when the memory cards, or the controllers start to go, they're both impossible to find and incredibly expensive. With current gen support for backward compatibility, those issues become far more minor.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
It's a long shot, but if it's disc-based backwards compatibility, and I can use my old giant collection, I will go out and buy a PS4 the day I hear it confirmed.

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
Selected titles, huh....

Well, A for effort at least.
But its nice to see sony try to actually offer further improvements of its console.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Squilookle said:
"Report: PS4 to get PARTIAL PS1/2 Backwards Compatibility"

Come on, call it like it is. If they say 'select titles,' don't hype it up as being anything better than, say, the lousy xbox 360 partial backwards compatibility effort.
It basically amounts to them porting a PS1 and PS2 emulator over to PS4. It's certainly got the horsepower to do it, but they aren't going to certify that absolutely every title ever made for the hardware will work, because there will always be that one title that did something using an obscure undocumented feature of the hardware that makes emulators cry.

Hell, there have been cases where that was the case with PC hardware -- for example the 8086 instruction set supported popping from the stack into the CS register. There's no good reason you would ever want to actually do that if you are sane and aren't trying to write some horrific piece of spaghetti code specifically intended to be difficult to trace, but it was supported. Every following x86 chip does not support that instruction. The first generation of x86 processors to support protected mode also supported switching on paging (one of the main reasons to use protected mode) without actually turning on protected mode, aka "real mode paging" (which was much faster than protected mode if the only protected mode feature you needed was paging), which was also disabled in the following generation of processors and any attempt to activate that will cause an error. You could write an x86 emulator that will always work for all possible software ever because of things like that, but you can certainly hit the vast majority.

CAPTCHA: i need a vacation. Yes, captcha, I do. I'm also going to PAX East, so I'm going to have one soon enough... =p

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
And this is enough to tip me over the edge and buy
(that and the fact that I forgot to cancel my pre-order of inFamous: Second Son!)

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
bunnielovekins said:
Holy crap, I might actually get one if this turns out to be good. Depends though, if it's just "selected titles", i.e. those that will sell the best, because I own a LOT of PS2 games and PS1 games I'd like to play on a reliable console.
No alundra, no sale.
You get ALL the points for showing Alundra some love! Give yourself a cookie! It's a great game.

OT: Depending on how this is impleminted, this is very, very good news. I would like to see local PS3 support rather than streaming as well, but this is deffinitely a step in the right direction, regardless.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
My problem with this is that so far the PS2 library on PSN is pathetically small and mostly meh games. I looked through the entire thing and so far have only bought castlevania: lament of innocents(a subpar DMC that released after DMC) and Odin sphere(actually good). Meanwhile, PSOne games on there are plentiful and there are lots of great titles. This makes me sad.....

Well....I guess I will have to stick with my emulator that I LEGALLY loaded with the BIOS from one of my 2 PS2's( why not play them on one of those you ask? Because the ps2 controller crapped out and I'm not buying controllers for dead systems) to play my large library of PS2 games.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
What I want to know is does this mean it will play the discs and/or digital titles already purchased on my account? Because it's a bit consumer-unfriedly to make us by the games all over again. On most of the PS3s, this made a little sense since the PS2 discs weren't compatible with the system's architecture. I'm also hoping they can make this streaming PS3 games thing work without having to make us pay for the games all over again. Also, memory needs to be transferrable. Like, start selling those memory card adapters there were for the early PS3s again. And let us transfer anything that we've uploaded to the online storage if we have Plus.

Also, I've found that early PS1 games don't play nice with HDMI or even component cables. So, if they're providing a graphical upgrade for discs, then awesome!

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
And the scales tip... but yeah, I'll wait for compatibility reports. I've got a pile of PS2 games I want to know work first. Still... not having to be paranoid about my 3rd PS2 dying (and having to dig up a new one again) would be nice.

On the other hand, as a previous poster noted... emulators are legal if you rip a bios from your own console. So I guess I don't have to be all that paranoid.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
And to think I was planning to buy a PS3 (Xbox gamer at the moment) and keep the PS2 I currently have, and then get a PS4 later when the prices have dropped a bit. Instead, my new plan is seemingly going to be keep the PS2 anyway just in case, and just straight up get a PS4 and use PS Now to buy the PS3 games I wanted as well as for the sake of my still extensive PS1/2 collection. I'll wait and see what happens, but in any case this is excellent news, and it gives me hope that Sony have realised that giving the consumer what they want isn't always a bad thing, and can be pretty beneficial to the consumer and to the company. This doesn't hurt anyone, and is just a massive PR boost to a company already winning the current gen console war... Kudos, Sony. Kudos to you guys :)

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Huzzah!

If this comes to pass, I'm more than sold on the idea of buying a PS4. Backwards compatibility is so important to the overall health and history of the medium.

Books never become unreadable because new books come out.

Films formats last a LOT longer than game formats and bringing older movies to DVD/Blu-Ray happens all the time.

Being able to access/revisit older games is key to appreciating the medium as a whole.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Kingjackl said:
I'll wait til I hear more. Personally, I'm more interested in the PS3 streaming idea. I never owned a PS3, but there are a heap of games on it that I'd love to play.
I too am more interested in the PS3 game streaming for that reason. Still, there is Silent Hill 2, which hasn't been remaked well and thus would be best played on the original PS2 disc. I also hope that the original Spyro series will be compatible. Such expansive backwards compatibility would be excellent for the medium, especially since the PS1 and PS2 both sold over 100 million.

Now, I won't get a PS2 because I would rather not have over 3 consoles in my room, so I'll hold onto hope for the above. I imagine myself ending up sitting pretty with a practically ideal set of consoles for new games and the few old games that still hold up today: Wii/Gamecube, Wii U, and PlayStation 4.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Well if this turns out to be true then I will be closer to buying a PS4. If in fact I could ever use my physical discs on my games, and I wouldn't care about 1008p upscaling, then I'd honestly go and buy a PS4 right now. Ironically I just bought a new PS2 since my old one was dying (poor trooper lasted a decade of constant use and more than one all-nighter) and I needed a new one.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Squilookle said:
"Report: PS4 to get PARTIAL PS1/2 Backwards Compatibility"

Come on, call it like it is. If they say 'select titles,' don't hype it up as being anything better than, say, the lousy xbox 360 partial backwards compatibility effort.
It says "native 1080p rendering for select titles."

So only certain games will get upscaled, but the idea is all (or most) games will work.