Sony: Move's Buttons Make it More Hardcore

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
...Wow, you kids weren't lying- it really is a shameless rip off. What's with the industry? first the wii-S3 controller, now the 3mote...
Anyway, I think the moogle ball is what makes it hardcore, kupo. At least, it makes it the only reason I want one.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I like buttons, i like to push buttons, playing games is relaxing, pressing a buttong can be relaxing, flapping your arms around like a penguin with his head up his arse, is however, not relaxing..

Now anyone, please make a sentence with more commas than that..

i smell a cookie..

*wishes motion controllers an early death*

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
KingKamor said:
viking97 said:
KingKamor said:
viking97 said:
obvious fanboy is obvious. its supposed to be joke dude.
I guess that saying that Move is based on the Wiimote was pushing it, and for that I apologize. But I meant it when I said that he needs his smug ass kicked. A joke in a Sony commercial at Nintendo's expense is just being a dick. Also note that I have played my PS2 more than either my Wii or 360, and that I plan on getting a PS3 when I start a job next month. So please don't call me a fanboy.
i apologize for calling you a fanboy. troll would have been more appropriate.
And you call yourself an Escapist? I'm disappointed.

I am annoyed at a guy being annoying in a commercial, and you call me a troll? Fuck. You. I believe that he is annoying, and there is nothing you can say that will change my mind.
you have the right to express any opinion you like. however, this doesn't mean you get to be a jerk and not expect to get called out on it.

Quaade

Jun 20, 2010
VulakAerr said:
You guys are being short-sighted. The problem with the Move is that you've already got something in your hand. You have to play with your Six-Axis OR the fucking dildo.

With Kinect, you can still be captured by the camera even when you're using a controller. That means you can still control your FPS dude and your shooting with the best controller possible (I'd rather not point at who I want to shoot, or signal a fucking aircraft to land on him or however the fuck those bobbleheads work) with a standard control system but with maybe the option of throwing a grenade at an angle with a gesture, or using head tracking to look around corners. Hell, you could even hold your controller to one side or the other perhaps to hold your rifle around a corner and blind fire? That's MORE options, not an either/or. I get that this first catalogue of games looks VERY casual and almost entirely gay, but what's to follow is nigh-on certain to add features on top of the standard controller experience. That's what this Sony guy misses and that's why I will get a Kinect rather than a fucking gobstopper on a stick.
Or it will lead to periphial hell.
If the Kinect is as accurate at reading shapes as they claim, it's not far fetched to imagine a scenario where a developer will make a game that requires a periphial of their chosen shape, or:
Think you can get away with using the golf club you got with the protour 2010 game? GUESS AGAIN SUCKER! You will have to buy our golf club set which comes with full range of clubs that you have to change at the right time.

Or
The latest must have AAA title shooter game, the developer is looking to make an extra buck so they make a gun periphial of a certain shape so you have to use theirs and can't use any generic shooting controller.

Worst of all, this may not even be done intentionally but out of a desire to improve their product so each and every Kinect game will be shipped with a special periphial required to get the most of it.

And not long after, ones living/gaming room resembles a toy store.

Bear in mind this is worst case.

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
monnes said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
monnes said:
Irridium said:
Yeah, buttons are good.

You know what else has buttons? The controllers we've been using for years!
QFT

I'm beginning to feel that the motion controllers won't just be an addon, but become the dominating controller form.
You know what else has about as many buttons as that lightbulb thing? A wiimote.

Any kind of arguement that says the move is "hardcore" just got up ended by carnavil mania.
A wiimote has even more buttons, actually.
Although i could see where sony is getting at, having the precision of the move and the kinect is vital for a "hardcore" game, at least hardcore in my definition, as in difficult. And it also requires buttons, which sony also pointed out.

Myself, I'm not interested in either of the motion conrollers.
Well, Wii-sports is more hardcore then Uncharted by that logic :p

The only I would have in the Move is the ability to point at the screen where I want to shoot for FPS's or third person shooters, which I can already do with my wii.

The Nata... sorry, "kinetic" would be a 150 dollar paper weight for me.
Actually, I think i have to rethink my earlier statement. Difficulty isn't what makes a game hardcore, The type of customer the game attracts makes it harcore. Casual games mainly attract people without a habit of gaming, while hardcore games attract "gamers".

KingKamor

Jul 8, 2008
viking97 said:
you have the right to express any opinion you like. however, this doesn't mean you get to be a jerk and not expect to get called out on it.
You're still on about this? You were the jerk for calling me a troll. I already apologized for flying off the handle at the Sony commercial, yet you go and call me a troll right after I say sorry. Of course I'd get pissed.

EchoOfTheWolf

Jun 22, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
"Sometimes we need buttons to have certain kinds of experiences ... We need to know exactly what you're doing with your hands, especially in the more hardcore experiences."
Seriously? I personally think that hardcore is, in a sense, showing how awesome you are, not how you press buttons at the right time. I personally think actually being able to aim is a mark of showing that you can do something, button pressing only does the opposite.

Tom Goldman said:
"If you make a gesture to make something happen all the time, you don't have that immediate feeling of knowing that it worked. You have to wait and see if it happened and that just slows everything down. A click gives instant knowledge."
Really, because I'm SURE I cut a dude in half in No More Heroes, and I know immediately that it worked... And I felt pretty awesome as well! Just get off your high horse and admit that you are copying from another company's success, and this stupid button thing is just to make it seem not so blatant.

DarkHuntress

Apr 8, 2010
Hello Sony?
Its not the buttons that make hardcore gamers happy. It's the GAME! Sony needs to ask themselves if having a gold folk while eating makes the food taste better. Of course not, its the food.

You could put the controller buttons on the bottom of a shoe and that doesn't make anything hardcore. All it does is make the game , which is the main focus not the PS3, more frustrating and that's no fun for hardcore or casual players.

What is wrong with Sony? Too much work and no play? Or what?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I said this for 3D gaming but mandatory use of controllers like this may be the time I hang up my console hat and become a PC gamer exclusively. Don't get me wrong, I have a Wii and enjoy it but I consider it a different kind of beast. I play my Wii when I am mildly bored and just want to do something simple or get a bit of exercise. To me, my PS3 and PC are my true gaming platforms. I would have a far easier time giving up my Wii than my PS3 or PC.

Maybe I am overreacting but I wish Sony would just realize that they aren't going to beat Nintendo at their own game.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010

Ok... so somehow, the unholy child of a Wiimote and a Lolly has buttons that make it "Hardcore"?

I'll have whatever they're smoking!

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's really that much more hardcore since motion controls still have a long way to go. The Move might work slightly better than the Kinect but it still won't be 1:1 transfer, the true hardcore. Not even that Wii Motion Plus gets that and I don't think now is the time to expect that, let alone bash another company for at least trying something different. I say let Sony and Microsoft fail at it first, then let the corporate flame wars begin.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
How do they mean Hardcore? Are we talking about the gaming experience being more immersive, or are we talking about 14-year-olds on Halo who go twitchy if they havent shot anything in the past five minutes? It seems to me hard to tell.

A good controller should be simple to use and functional: existing ones do that. If a game is shite, you won't want to play it, no matter how good the controls are. You can't polish a turd, as the saying goes.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Yeah, buttons are good.

You know what else has buttons? The controllers we've been using for years!
And my shirts! I'm pretty hardcore.

Good Christ, I really hate that word.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
So... The input device more like the existing ones is superior?

Does this logic lead us to all games companies ditching this ridiculous fad? Woo!

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
So their argument is "We ripped off the Wii more, so it must be good."

Why should I not just get a Wii then?
You may find that Sony has kept that as a general philosophy for the past few years.