Sony Needs to Launch PSP2 Soon, Says Former CEO

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Needs to Launch PSP2 Soon, Says Former CEO

David Reeves, the former CEO of SCEE, believes that Sony needs to launch the PSP2 as soon as soon as possible if it wants to stay in the handheld game.

Former Sony Europe CEO David Reeves thinks that Sony will need to release a successor to the PSP within the next year, and that if it doesn't, there is a very real threat of Sony being forced from the handheld market altogether.

"It's an exciting time and you could possibly have two handhelds coming out within months or a year of each other," said Reeves. "Sony tried to make the transition with PSPgo. I think that changed some consumers attitudes, but they need to come back with something on PSP pretty quickly to stay in the game because Nintendo are shit hot at getting these things right. And they always get these things right."

It's hard to argue with Reeves; Nintendo's presence in the handheld market is pretty monolithic and with the official announcement of the 3DS, it seems like the company has the game pretty much sewn up. Indeed, Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata believes that his company has already beaten Sony [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100548-Nintendo-Defeats-Sony-Apple-is-Enemy-of-the-Future]. Reeves thinks that Sony will unveil something PSP related at the Tokyo Game Show which runs from the 16th-19th September.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/39653/Reeves-Nintendo-are-shit-hot-at-handheld]

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
"Nintendo are shit hot at getting these things right"

Shit hot?! This former CEO is human and gets my thumbs up.

He is also 100% right.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yes please do launch a PsP2 with DUAL ANALOG STICKS PLEASE. cause ive been holding out for a long time now. be nice to finally get one of those.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Indeed, Sony need to do something fast if they're going to stay in the handheld race. Personally, if I was Sony I would do one of two things...:

1) Try and beat the launch lineup of Nintendo's handheld, as well as its hardware. Now that they've seen the specs and games of the console, now the job is to try and 1-up them in that field, with better graphics, or, more importantly, a cheaper price tag. Trying to get more games than them will be a near impossible job but they have to try. Copying some of Nintendo's ideas can't hurt too - though it may seem like an arseholey thing to do, the PSP2 really needs to impress big time on all fronts if its to beat the 3DS.

2) Pull the plug and cut the losses while they can. Lets face it - really, the 3DS is going to dominate the market. If Sony don't want to lose lots of money in such a case, then they either need to sell they're hardware at a profit (so that even if the handheld does badly, they will still hopefully make some profit), or just give up and focus on the home consoles, as Microsoft are doing.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
PSP Go style, 2 analogue sticks, and physical games available along with the standard updated stuff.

Calumon: I wonder what I'd be like in 3D?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont see any problems with the current PSP...but, I think they are already out of the market...Nintendo, and very quickly iPhone have that market pretty well covered!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
To go by the Sony marketing strategy the PSP2 would have to do "everything."

Bigger 3D screen with touch interface built in. Graphics comparable to HD consoles. Dual analogue controls and camera tracking + motion controls. Phone built in. App store that competes with Apple on user interface, price and software selection. Makes tea for you when you ring a bell. Blade, file, scissors and corkscrew attachments.

Martinalexander

Apr 17, 2010
Sony should really go no-nonsense-all gaming with this one, in my opinion.. Not too many buttons, solid design and affordability.. Screw 3d and touch screen! Games don't need that and it's just a show-off. What annoys me to no end is loading screens.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I don't even think it's possible for Sony to make something that can match the 3DS. It's not because I'm a fanboy, it's just that most times Nintendo focuses on the accessibility of developers to make games while Sony focuses on technology. It's essentially easier development vs. superior technology, and the DS vs. PSP war has shown that superior tech doesn't always win.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
How about making the PSP more comfortable? I love my PSP, but sometimes it can be super uncomfortable. The PSPGo was even worse in my opinion. It is so small it's hard to play IMO.

I want a new PSP! Release them!

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
Sony needs to stop doing things half arsed imho. Have you see the new PSP ads with Marcus, i.e. the blacker younger Kevin Butler?

This kid is talking about how PSPs are awesome playing with his PSP 3000... if they want to get people to buy new tech it should be in the ads, just seems like common sense.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
They need to develop it for the more hardcore handheld market, because Nintendo is slowly beginning to seize that away from them with the 3DS. In all honesty, they just need to do what they should have done beforehand.

Dual fucking analogue sticks.

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Martinalexander said:
Sony should really go no-nonsense-all gaming with this one, in my opinion.. Not too many buttons, solid design and affordability.. Screw 3d and touch screen! Games don't need that and it's just a show-off. What annoys me to no end is loading screens.
I would't mind if they dropped the 3D but a touch screen is pretty imperative now, especially if they want to allow the PSP to have internet browsing. I still support dual analogs and keeping all the other buttons, though, as that's what makes this a portable GAMING console and not a copy of Apple.

3DS probably isn't multi-touch capacitive (original DS isn't and it doesn't make sense if they still use a stylus) so they could get an advantage there if they could bring that in.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
in my opinion I think that if Sony doesn't make a PSP2 soon the PSP family of consoles will die off.
the Nintendo 3DS is promising everything gamers have ever wanted (Remakes of classic games, being able to store games, backwards compatibility and much more)
if can't fight this off they will lose

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Well, obviously Nintendo have a really hot console coming out, that is years ahead of the competition, and they also have insane third party support. Sony is gonna have to do something magic to compete with that...

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Well Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is being developed for the PSP so I can still see sales good in Japan (I think this because Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G is the best selling PSP game of all time), not so much here. Now if said PSP2 was backwards compatible I can see larger sales.