Sony Offers "Sincerest Apologies" for PSN Attack

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Offers "Sincerest Apologies" for PSN Attack

Sony is now moving its data center to a new, secret location, hopefully deep within the core of the Earth. Sony detailed other increased security measures, Sony-provided assistance for credit monitoring, and "welcome back" customer appreciation bonuses published personal information [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109692-PSN-Phasing-Back-Into-Existence-With-Enhanced-Security] of Sony executives, but says the group may not be related to the PSN intrusion.

Hirai concluded the press conference by stating: "These kind of attacks... may not be limited only to Sony." Sony is cooperating with law enforcement agencies such as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the FBI [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109683-Homeland-Security-and-FBI-On-Hunt-for-PSN-Hackers] for the "safety of a networked society." Right on.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34440/Breaking_Sony_Press_Conference_Discusses_PSN_Intrusion_Next_Steps.php]

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Well, now they're not even sure how much data was actually exposed. Well for some reason, I have a feeling that they might find out that much less data is missing than they think.

That's what makes this interesting, there might not have been a real problem.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I don't blame you for getting hacked, Sony.

But I'm very mad about the incredibly slow information leak you gave us after the shutdown.

Sorry...will have to do. There's not much else you can do, really. You can't suck back the personal info from out of the hacker's(s') hands.

Tom Goldman said:
This is as good a time as any, I suppose

What is your avatar from...I recognize it, but can't place it at all, though.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Kalezian said:
in b4 "Anonymous did it!" without reading the article.

Now, what will you do if/when credit cards that were "stolen" start being used?
Dispute the charges, get the card replaced, and put a fraud alert on your accounts.

I would also get your credit reports checked. It's free as a US citizen at annualcreditreport.com once a year.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
You know, I frankly half-expected they would not do this, based on how they had reacted to the PS3 hack with complete haughtiness. I really expected them to just 'placate the low-born masses' with only their free gifts so as to 'shut them up', but apparently...Sony does have limits to how high they can stretch their noses.

Nice to see.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Great PR move, honestly. And a hard one for a lot of hard-working folks to make. The technicians know it's not their fault, and they know this is making them look bad... but the company at large knows they can't convince the irrational public of this, because the hackers don't have any faces to hate (yet).

So they throw themselves under the bus, and offer an unqualified apology accepting the "blame," just to get things back on track. Swallowing the pride and getting down to business. Kudos to Sony. I don't own any Sony consoles or products, but this gives me some real respect for them.

I just wish they didn't have to do this. It'd be nice if they could just say, "Look. We got hacked. It's the hackers' fault. We're going to try to fix it going forward, but quit blaming us. Seriously, it's like blaming a guy whose house got robbed because he happened to be borrowing your lawnmower at the time."

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
Tom Goldman said:
This is as good a time as any, I suppose

What is yoru avatar from...I recognize it, but can't place it at all, though.
It's a Nu [http://chrono.wikia.com/wiki/Nu], from Chrono Trigger.

OT: This is the part I've been waiting for:

Sony said:
because we potentially compromised their customer data
Finally, they stopped deflecting, even if only for a few sentences. They can't undo their previous PR missteps but at least they're on the right track.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
So....was this Sony technically blaming AT&T?

I accept the apology, its impossible to create a hack proof server and I believe it's just really really unfortunate it happened to Sony and I hope the bastards who did it are brought to justice.