Sony Offers Three Free Games to PSP Go Upgraders

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Wow talk about a double screwing. Fist off that list of "free" games is complete rubbish, some of which came free with PSP bundles, and others are just sad little titles not a whole lot of people give a crap about.

On top of that if you want the free games then you have to for go tradeing in your old PSP for the 3 freebee games. Now you have both and old PSP and the new go which leads to question why the hell did you bother to get a GO if you weren't going to trade in your old system and games to begin with?

*Edit* On a side note didn't they mention back at E3 or some other gmaeing convention that people who pre-ordered or bought a GO with in a set ammount of time would recieve a free copy of the new PSP GT game?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
harhol said:
Khell_Sennet said:
Three games "free", for abandoning your original PSP which you paid good money for, and all the PSP UMD-based games you bought for it. You suck, Sony.
Uhhh... you'd still have your original PSP.
Then what's the point of getting the Go in the first place?

The only reason you would want to upgrade in that case is to get it for another person so that he/she would get the free three games.

EDIT: And that's presuming you're sharing a PSN account.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
harhol said:
scotth266 said:
harhol said:
Uhhh... you'd still have your original PSP.
Then what's the point of getting the Go in the first place? The only reason you would want to upgrade in that case is to get it for another person so that he/she would get the free three games.
Well if you have a 1000 like me then there are tons of reason to upgrade - lighter, smaller, better screen, more RAM, longer battery life etc.

I don't think the Go is aimed at people who recently bought 3000s.
But if you bought one of the 1000s, odds are you already have a lot of UMD games, right?

EDIT: OR at least the good ones on the list?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
If they want people to 'upgrade', shouldn't they just let you download all the games you bought?

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Yay. Although they might aswell let you download all your games you bought. Im not trading in my Launch PSP untill I finish War Of The Lions so is a good deal for me (even though I have Daxter(UMD), Killzone(DL), The 2 Syphon Filters(UMD) and Resistance(DL)).

Hmmm, anyways I dont care my Launch PSP is on its way out and im buying the GO. Im going to get Ratchet & Clank, Patapon and maybe Wipeout or Echochrone.

Oh Im Spoilt For Choice.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
i would quite like a PSP go now that Playstation Network cards are available in Britain, because now i have a means of buying games for it. Although i'm not sure about the price tag, i mean for that money i could buy an X-box 360 (if i wanted one).

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
You know I actually missed that part about it being any games you previously owned as well. That makes it slightly less bad but still, only 3?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Excot it's not three free games at all, it's more than covered by that enormous price hike over a PSP standard and the fact you've already paid for a PSP standard.

It's kind of a cynical move this, on the other hand it'll be great for the fanatics.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Its.... better I guess. With the voucher that's actually worth the 250 price but with a lot of red tape to make it that way.

I just think it's odd that this is only being made available to those who already own a PSP and not to everyone else though. Wouldn't that just kill the marketing for this thing? Not only is it not worth it if you don't already own a PSP, but for the case of current PSP owners, is that really that much of an incentive to buy another one that you'll probably only use a few times? What's the point of owning two?

Sony makes no sense too me.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Frankydee said:
Wouldn't that just kill the marketing for this thing? Not only is it not worth it if you don't already own a PSP, but for the case of current PSP owners, is that really that much of an incentive to buy another one that you'll probably only use a few times? What's the point of owning two?

Sony makes no sense too me.
It may or may not be a plan to phase out the older models as quick as possible.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Why do people always look at this in such a half assed manner. This bit of news more than justifies the extra 50-70 bucks tacked on to the device. You honestly think you are not gonna spend that much when you initially buy the system anyways? Games DO cost money you know, and you tend to want to buy some GAMES with your device when you purchase it. I did not just go out and buy a 2000, go home, and forget about getting some damn games with it. You get 3 games when you buy the system and that price hike pretty much covers the cost of those games so this complaining is entirely pointless and just shows how ignorant people are.

Secondly, stop with the "why should people buy this if they already own a PSP?", because that is the most half assed excuse you can pull. It's primarily aimed at those who DON'T ALREADY OWN A PSP. Sure some people want to upgrade from their old 1000's, why not let them? Some people prefer digital distribution over UMD, why not LET them? It's less aimed at current owners and more aimed at newer ones. Seriously, this complaining didn't make sense when the DSi came out and it doesn't make sense now. It's just frivolous whining from people who don't get the big picture. It's not like they are scrapping the PSP-3000 and UMD's seeing as they will still be supported alongside the Go.

Finally, while that list may be rather piss poor, it's simply a voucher thing. It's no different than when you go out and buy the God of War bundle, or the rock band bundle ect...except this time you get 3 games instead of one and a crappy movie, sounds like a better deal to me. Also upon the Go's launch, the PSN will have around 700 PSP games to purchase, so while that list may seem rather "meh", there will be 700 games to chose from on the PSN so there is no reason to complain. That and Sony is also working on a means to allow people who DO want to upgrade to get digital versions of their UMD's without re buying them, you know like some sort of legal ISO, so that base is pretty much covered.

All in all, people just seem to be overreacting (which doesn't surprise me around here) and are just thinking in a rather half assed manner. Is it so hard to sit down and actually think these things through!? The Go is targeted primarily at new buyers, just like the DSi, why people are complaining over something so frivolous is beyond me. Oh and here is the news talking about the 700 games being added to the store: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m9d23-PSPGo-to-have-700-games-at-launch.

Now if you will excuse me I new to go bandage my head after all the *facedesk*ing I have gone through while reading this sad sad thread. *Braces for the obvious rebuttals he is going to get from this*.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
-Seraph- said:
All in all, people just seem to be overreacting (which doesn't surprise me around here) and are just thinking in a rather half assed manner. Is it so hard to sit down and actually think these things through!? The Go is targeted primarily at new buyers, just like the DSi, why people are complaining over something so frivolous is beyond me. Oh and here is the news talking about the 700 games being added to the store: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m9d23-PSPGo-to-have-700-games-at-launch.

Now if you will excuse me I new to go bandage my head after all the *facedesk*ing I have gone through while reading this sad sad thread. *Braces for the obvious rebuttals he is going to get from this*.
What a difference a day makes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.145766#3306858]. I wonder where those 700 games will be come October.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
I think it is an interesting way of beta-testing their UMD "fingerprinting" tech. Offer this deal and check out how good you are at detecting which game is in the drive. Also check out the piracy rates on a list of games you don't give a damn about. If all the stats work out in their favour they can then offer "Put your disk in your old PSP and download your digital copy" for all UMDs

Seems kind of obvious to me...

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I think this is pretty nice.

Of course, I think this is still a secret plan to show how great the PSP 3000 is. If people want UMDs and the old PSP more, then they won't buy into the new Go.

That's what I'm hoping. *still has his 3000*