Sony Offers Three Free Games to PSP Go Upgraders

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

PSP Go [http://www.sony.com].

The PSP Go Rewards Program will give anyone who owns a previous model of PSP and at least one UMD game three new games at no charge when they upgrade to the PSP Go. To get the free stuff, gamers must first register their new PSP Go on the PlayStation Network, then log into PSN with the older PSP and a UMD in the drive. At that point, a special PSP Go theme will be made available and a voucher for three games on the system will be provided via email.

PSP Go owners will be able to choose from the following list of games:

Buzz!: Brain Bender
Buzz!: Master Quiz
Daxter
Echochrome
Everybody's Golf PSP
Killzone: Liberation
Lemmings PSP
LocoRoco
MediEvil
Patapon
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Resistance: Retribution
SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
WipEout Pure

"These can either be games from your current UMD collection or 3 new titles," Sony said on the PSP Community Forum [http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=59&thread.id=43296]. The program will run from October 1, when the PSP Go launches, to March 31, 2010.

So what do you think, potential PSP Go-getters? Is this a good deal or what?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/three-free-games-for-pspgo-upgraders]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Simple attempt at bribery to try and get people to help build the infrastructure for a product that isn't in their best interest. Rather transparent one at that.

I'm sure it will work to an extent also. Sort of like the deals Wal*Mart was running when they got started to drive their competition out of business.

What's more none of those games are really anything special. You'll notice the lack of "big" PSP titles like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Crisis Core (which is even a couple of years old) and others. I'd be surprised if I found even one of those titles currently in the top 10 for PSP list on Gamefaqs (I have not checked recently though). It's not a great deal by any means to begin with.

Truthfully if I was Sony and dealing with something that would benefit me this much, and I wanted people to not think about how much I was going to be scr@wing with them, I would be giving as much free brand new software as the portable costs, if not more, and putting it out there at a loss. After all in the end it's getting people hooked into the infrastructure that I'm after, and the profits from that *IF* I succeed are going to dwarf the hardware sales.

Nintendo has been smarter on this front, and also a lot less direct (slowly moving things in that direction).

Even with bribery the PSPGo is just such an ubsubtle, consumer r@ping thing, that I'm hoping it will die horribly no matter what they try.

To me at least this offer is lulzworthy to the extreme.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
somewhat of a sparse listing. The idea is good, I won't deny that, especially because the PSPGo has a lot against it already it seems, but if I showed this to my brother (who owns a PSP) he wouldn't be jumping at the chance to upgrade.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Therumancer said:
Simple attempt at bribery to try and get people to help build the infrastructure for a product that isn't in their best interest. Rather transparent one at that.
They gotta do what they gotta do...I mean I would hate to be in the position of figuring out a way to sell that thing. With all the negative stigma its getting and numerous retailers refusing to sell it...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
At first I thought: PR jumped quick to the game pricing backlash. Now I remember that they mentioned this at e3. It's supposed to be a bonus for original psp owners who now need digital versions of the games they bought.

They're going to have to try harder than that to stop Go from becoming a little pile of Fail. I'm sticking with my original 1st gen psp, it does all the same stuff, and it doesn't render my umd games useless.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
What do I think ? I think they must be off there rocker asking if somebody who already owns a PSP to basicly buy the same thing again for at best for a few B class games. The PSPGo is a badly thought out product, which is a pity, because with a bit of thought it could have been a good bridge console for the psp2, or have been a same price alternative to the psp-3000, but at its current price range I think it will struggle. I also think the fact its dlc only will effect the fact alot of psp owners are minors who will have difficulty getting access to Credit cards and may not be savvy enough to handle such a system.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
bodyklok said:
To quote the entire human race.

"You'll have to try harder than that"
No joke.

Over priced, total lack of back support for the system this is supposedly an 'upgrade' from, and a pathetic PR bribe attempt? No thanks. This PSP-Go has seemed more like a PSP-Stop (How droll!) ever since I heard about the lack of UMD support. That was a very bad move, I think. I dont' mind digital distribution, but come on Sony...you're alienating those who have supported your handheld system and bought a bunch of UMD games. I'm hoping that they won't just swallow this 'free game' tripe.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Sounds like they're getting desperate for money.

But still, I think Im going to get it just because Lemmings is in the list and the PSP Go kind of looks cool.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
So what about the people that will be trading in their PSPs in order to afford a GO? I'm not in that boat, I'm not wasting my money on one, but I'm sure a decent amount of people are.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Uh... wow.

That's gotta be one of the worst trade-offs I've seen yet.

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
Malygris said:

"These can either be games from your current UMD collection or 3 new titles,"
Unless I'm mistaken, this means that they have digital download versions of every UMD PSP game, but you can only choose from three of them and the rest can go screw.

So, a PSP owner can get an "upgraded" version of a PSP. +1

It can play every current PSP game they paid for. +1

They can only choose from 3 of them. -1

Well that's not really an upgrade. -1

Current score: 0

By the way, to get this "upgrade" you'll have to pay $250...