Sony Officially Teams up With Kojima to Produce PS4 Exclusives

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sony Officially Teams up With Kojima to Produce PS4 Exclusives

Sony has officially partnered with the new, independent Kojima Productions.

The rumors are true [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165496-Hideo-Kojima-Reported-to-have-Left-Konami-Creating-New-Studio]. Kojima has indeed left Konami, and has established Kojima Productions as his own, independent studio. What's more, he has officially partnered with Sony, and will produce a Sony exclusive franchise.

In the announcement video to the right, Sony Computer Entertainment's Andrew House appears with Kojima, who confirms pretty much all of the things we have been hearing so far. We don't know exactly how long and for how many titles this partnership between Sony and Kojima Productions will last, but Sony was able to confirm that the very first game produced by Kojima's new studio will be "console exclusive" to the PS4.

As for Kojima Productions itself, a fairly press release [http://www.kojimaproductions.jp/] naming Hideo Kojima as its leader has been sent out.

This looks like a case of Kojima having a very, very strict gag-order from Konami as part of his contract termination, meaning he wasn't able to formally announce any of this until right at this moment.

Great news for fans of Kojima's work, but it is a tad shame that his new games will go back to being exclusive to the PS4...

Source: Sony [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annuTcmB1rw&feature=youtu.be]

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Oh cool. Sony successfully Fulton extracted Kojima. And Mr. House wanted to show off his Japanese skills. That's cool too.

Edit: Now go! Let the legend come back to life!

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
mysecondlife said:
Oh cool. Sony successfully Fulton extracted Kojima. And Mr. House wanted to show off his Japanese skills. That's cool too.
"What took them so long?" ;)
But to be serious I'm glad to see Kojima landing right back on his feet, here's looking forward to a new ip without a ridiculous amount of lore to try (and fail) to keep straight.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
mysecondlife said:
They patiently waited for the sand storm to subside. 100%

Still... Kojima has left Metal Gear, but has Metal Gear left Kojima?

Now watch him pull a Dave Jaffe and make a downloadable game with Micro Machines.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
To me this is bigger news than Kojima actually leaving Konami. Despite it finally being confirmed now, I think anyone without their head stuck up their ass knew he had left.

Good for him and it'll be awesome to see what games he can create now that hopefully, Sony gives him some breathing room.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
On the one hand i am glad that he got a new contract and will now be able to make more games.
On the other hand his newest game just got a pc release after years of console exclusives and now he's making more console exclusives. F***!

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
And now that he's making ps4 exclusives that won't be on the pc it's as if he no longer exists to me.

I refuse to buy outdated console tech that my laptop can out perform, just for an exclusive. Might as well make the price tag for any game he produces as $60+Ps4

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Amaror said:
On the one hand i am glad that he got a new contract and will now be able to make more games.
On the other hand his newest game just got a pc release after years of console exclusives and now he's making more console exclusives. F***!
"Another thing to beg for by the Pc Beggar Race then!",

Would have been my response, but we are talking console exclusive here, so it will come to pc at some point in time.
Dendio said:
And now that he's making ps4 exclusives that won't be on the pc it's as if he no longer exists to me.

I refuse to buy outdated console tech that my laptop can out perform, just for an exclusive. Might as well make the price tag for any game he produces as $60+Ps4
Can I borrow some of that salt for my potatoes? Also, read the upper part of my post, or the description of the youtube vid.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It says very first title people. And if the cross platform support for Street Fighter 5 proves popular enough, "exclusive" could just end up meaning console exclusive.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
"Great news for fans of Konami's work, but it is a tad shame that his new games will go back to being exclusive to the PS4..."

Surely it's great news for fans of Kojima's work?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well now i feel a little less bad about going with a PS4 this time. Come on, Kojima...bring on the Muted Undulations title now!!

lastly, typo hypo typee..."confirm that the very first tile produced..." Am guessing it is meant as "title?" ;)

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
bluegate said:
Amaror said:

Would have been my response, but we are talking console exclusive here, so it will come to pc at some point in time.
Dendio said:

Can I borrow some of that salt for my potatoes? Also, read the upper part of my post, or the description of the youtube vid.
Creating artificial demand by unnecessarily handcuffing games to a single, technologically dated system in today's day and age is reprehensible in my opinion. My PC does almost everything better, especially since games like halo are removing the one console advantage...split-screen couch play

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Little disappointed by the exclusivity, but more than glad he's free of Konami's clutches.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Dendio said:
Creating artificial demand by unnecessarily handcuffing games to a single, technologically dated system in today's day and age is reprehensible in my opinion. My PC does almost everything better, especially since games like halo are removing the one console advantage...split-screen couch play
Aside from me not caring about what your computer can and can't do, I do somewhat agree with your stance on exclusives. However, in this case where Sony is most likely financially supporting the development of the game and maybe even part of the creation of the new studio, I don't find it unreasonable that the game is console exclusive to the PS4.

Aaaaand Holy Crap!? The Escapist finally updated to a modern reCAPTCHA... wow

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Am I weird for finding this video beautiful? Because it kinda was. Not just because of the cynical hatred of Konami, but simply because I felt like there was a lot of love and respect for Hideo Kojima in it. Yes, it was certainly bragging to an extent, but I still feel that they wanted everyone to know that Kojima was okay.

Dendio said:
bluegate said:
Amaror said:

Dendio said:

And I thought I was Salty...

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I've never been a fan of his work, per se (other than adoring MGS when it first came out in one of the greatest ever eras of gaming), but it's disappointing and frustrating that he'll be tethered to one system. The games industry really is rather pathetically self-defeating sometimes, and exclusivity is a perfect example. The sooner there's one single system/delivery point, the better for the entire medium as mass market entertainment and art.

Then again there are about five XB1's in Japan, apparently... so a Japanese dev working for a Japanese company isn't exactly surprising.

I can only hope his new games all come with 30min cutscenes, meaning I won't want to play them anyway...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Holy crap, this is wonderful news. Sony puts a hell of a lot of care into their exclusives. Kojima is finally going to have a real publisher behind him that actually care about quality of work. This is the best case scenario (if you own a PS4 of course).

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
bluegate said:
Dendio said:
Aside from me not caring about what your computer can and can't do, I do somewhat agree with your stance on exclusives. However, in this case where Sony is most likely financially supporting the development of the game and maybe even part of the creation of the new studio, I don't find it unreasonable that the game is console exclusive to the PS4.

Aaaaand Holy Crap!? The Escapist finally updated to a modern reCAPTCHA... wow
I don't really care that you don't care about my pc, but yea, the advertisements on escapist previous Captcha system pretty much drove me from posting. I can also sorta see the point you are making about sony keeping funded projects to their system. There is something to be said about the health of a franchise though, if you keep a large player base from ever engaging in it. Imo metal gear 5 would have sold much better if the franchise wasn't locked exclusively to the playstation for so many years.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Goodish news for you non PS4 folks, according to this Q&A [http://nichegamer.com/2015/12/sony-is-publishing-hideo-kojimas-completely-new-game-also-coming-to-pc/] it will be going to the PC eventually.

Q6. What other platforms will Kojima?s first independent title be available on, besides PS4?

The title is planned to become available on PC (after PS4).

Q7. How long is the exclusivity?

We are not disclosing details.
Excited to see what he comes up with, fresh IP is always welcome.