Sony Online Strongly "Hints" Planetside Sequel Coming This Spring

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Happy day! Planetside was my first MMO and I've regretted quiting when I did but the BFRs made the game so very bad! I want this game to be the awesomeness the first one was with those large scale base fights that lasted days! Ahhhh.....memories....we will cherish them!

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Don't be in love with the game! Hate it, and at least you'll be driven to improve it as much as possible. I can't stand it when a game dev says they love a game they are working on, it's never a good sign.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
I'll be getting three copies and press-ganging my wife and father in to playing with me.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Damn, I would love to play a Planetside sequel.

I had some serious good times playing the original. A time there were just 10 of us doing our utmost to hold onto one of the larger bases against a much larger enemy force in the midst of a heavy storm remains a powerful memory, even to this day.

My one concern (well, maybe not the only one) is that I wouldn't be able to devote the time to it I would like to. That and I doubt I could play it without investing in an actual PC.

kalu

Dec 20, 2010
Has anybody thought that Smed might be hinting Planetside to get subs up and it might actually be the release of "The Agency"??????

Dont get me wrong i hope to god its PS2 but Smed has done this before.

Please DONT be the agency!

Captain1nsaneo-J

Jan 15, 2009
Calm down kalu, Virrago confirmed it's a Planetside sequel. Head over to Planetside Universe for more details. They're normally the best PS news hub.

Lawyer105 said:
There is nothing else to say. Ever since the original PS ruined virtually all other games for me with it's sheer and total awesomeness, I have been waiting for the next one.
Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. The only one that came close was CoD4 but that had it's own glaring problems (also known as grenades of grenade 4: grenades grenades with its sequel, grenades of lag 2)

iviv

Feb 20, 2008
Kalezian said:
iviv said:
Spore has taught me what happens when I get this excited about a game :(

if you have ever played Planetside, you would know that excitement is warranted for this occasion.

So many good memories with Planetside, and surprisingly even though it was a FPS/TPS MMO, it was varied enough that no two battles were ever the same.........

unless.......... you ended up in a MAX stalemate............. that happenes a lot nowadays.........
I am indeed excited by this, I was playing PS since a little after its release, but in thta time I've become jaded by SOE. The neglect that PS suffered, along with the rise and fall of other games under their watch (Matrix Online, SW:G). I want this game to be great, to contain what made Planetside good... but I just don't think that's going to happen. It'll be a trimmed down version that will try too hard to be like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

I want to be wrong, I just don't think I will be :(

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
iviv said:
It'll be a trimmed down version that will try too hard to be like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

While I love both those games, it better bloody not be like that. I've never played Planetside, but all the stories make me terribly excited for it; pretty much the Holy Grail of the MMOFPS genre. Maybe the sequel will get me into it as well.

You could also reason that because there are plenty of CoD and Battlefield-like games they'll stick to the Planetside formula, enter a corner of the market that's been virtually empty since the first Planetside.

iviv

Feb 20, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
iviv said:
It'll be a trimmed down version that will try too hard to be like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

While I love both those games, it better bloody not be like that. I've never played Planetside, but all the stories make me terribly excited for it; pretty much the Holy Grail of the MMOFPS genre. Maybe the sequel will get me into it as well.

You could also reason that because there are plenty of CoD and Battlefield-like games they'll stick to the Planetside formula, enter a corner of the market that's been virtually empty since the first Planetside.
In the hands of somewhat competant developers this should be what happens. But I just get the feeling they are going to look at what all the popular FPS games have (Perks and the like) and just make those games on a larger scale.

Personally, I would be perfectly happy with the exact same game, just with updated graphics, better netcode and no BFRs. Planetside's current code is horrendous, which is partly the reason that nothing has really been done to it. The original code was never documented, the original developers were moved onto other projects or left the company, and soon nobody knew what anything actually did. They tried to fix things as best they could, but this often ended up breaking more things in the process. And they ran out of texture memory as well, making it hard for them to add much new stuff to the game.

In short, the game was badly managed. Core Combat was rushed out miles before it was ready. I don't remember the reason behind this, but there was little testing and no advertising. Hopefully PS2 will be dealt with properly.

*No, unfortunately I don't have the source for the above statements. Most of them I picked up from the official forum, Samhayne and Sporkfire spoke a fair bit about the state of affirs of the game, as did later devs.

Hapitok

Dec 5, 2010
I've been waiting for this sequel to come out for a long time now. A 7-year veteran of Planetside on the New Conglomerate empire and i've been dying to see how much has changed since Planetside's first Beta back before it's release.

Effective

Dec 16, 2010
It seems they've finally removed creating new trial accounts from planetside. Meaning that unless a trial account was activated before say 2 hours ago, there will be no more trial account hackers in PS. So the amount of teleporting/instagib ROF/pull hacking nonsense has finally stopped.

Good time to resub if you're an old PS vet looking to get back on in the action.

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
"Galaxy, on Station."

I'm a bit worried. March of 2011? That's next month. There's no literature, no advertising, no details as to what's coming up? Either this is a move to "Free2Play" Planetside (Like EQIIExtended), or there is something seriously wrong with Planetside 2.

Skipper3

Jun 28, 2010
I never played Planetside, very interested though in the sequal. I find it odd that there is no information on the sequal though.

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
I got yelled at for hollering in joy.

As someone said before, time to dust off the noobhammers and gas up the Vanguards. NOBODY IS SAFE FROM THE FIGHTING 27TH!