Sony Patents Split-Screen Multiplayer That Keeps Screens Whole

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
I love this use of 3D. Completely love it. I always thought it'd be impossible to watch two completely different things at once, as the screen still has to technically show it, albeit it's all blurry and not watch-able without glasses. I suppose if it is possible through the filtered glasses, the actual screen without the glasses would look a mess. But who cares.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
EHKOS said:
...fuck, what about the people who can't see in true 3-d?
That isn't what it's doing It's basicly making the images all red or all blue instead of 3-d red/blue some if you have the 1st pair of glasses you only see red and if you have the second pair blue I'm guessing the frame rate might suffer some and anyone without glasses may get a headache (or vastly different images may cause seizures.)

OR they mean they play at the same frame by frame but the glasses filterout the other viewers images. which would keep frame rate high but sounds trickier to me.

Edit And if 3-D TVs do take off I hope there's a feature to disable 3-D to view it as a 2-D so not everyone would need glasses to see or if they break and you can't replace them at the time.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Impressive, but somehow I get the feeling if the glasses are that potent, why not skip the tv altogether and just imprint the images into one's brain?

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Interesting. It will steal my advantage though, as the people I play against in splitscreen are usually a lot worse than me at the game in question (younger sister, parents, cousins etc).

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
It sounds good, but I am a little worried that the quality of the images will be lower or something.

El_Chubba_Chubba

Mar 13, 2009
Wait? So do you see different things depending on where you are sitting?

Also would 3d still work or in some magic way is the 3d used up....or something

Levitas1234

Oct 28, 2009
I'm impressed at how marketing as created a society where currency is wasted on complex designs that only benefit to stop someone from screen peaking...

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Subliminal messaging...

But that's actually a pretty brilliant idea...

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Now there is an interesting use for 3DTV...

Could this mean a renaissance for split screen gaming? Please let it be so.

samo11211

Apr 15, 2009
Seems like a cool little idea but still I have 2 questions about this
Is it only limited to the 2 screens?
And would the resolution be cut in half?

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
Okay, that's it. Hats off to Sony, this is a legitimately good idea that deserves attention and growth.
Practical and entertainment uses of this are just brilliant.. I mean WOW. I was thinking of the sound thing but then again headphones, it all just works. Good stuff Sony.