Sony Patents Split-Screen Multiplayer That Keeps Screens Whole

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Patents Split-Screen Multiplayer That Keeps Screens Whole

Sony has filed to patent a futuristic technology that will show multiple people different images through the same screen at the same time.

3D televisions may be useful for more than increased depth perception or a new visual experience in gaming and movies. Patents filed by Sony detail a system through which those wearing 3D-style glasses and watching a 3DTV can play multiplayer games together with different images shown to each player.

The term used for the technique is called stereoscopic screen sharing. It translates different images to different viewers of the same television filtered through shuttered glasses. It was easy to cheat in GoldenEye 007 multiplayer on the N64 by looking right over at your friends' screens. Stereoscopic screen sharing would change all that.

The Killzone 3 [http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100177172.pdf]. This screen sharing method could enable both of the children to massacre each other while Jimmy's mother votes for the nation's next pop star.

The idea is quite compelling and adds to the reasons that one might buy a 3D television. Though it seems like the issue of sound would have to be worked out too (probably through multiple headphone sets), relationships everywhere could be saved by this technology. The unwilling may never have to watch Glee again.

Via: Broke My Controller [http://www.brokemycontroller.com/news/881-sony-files-two-patents-related-to-stereoscopic-screen-sharing]

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
I figured Sony would try to pull something huge to get people to buy 3D TVs, and I have to say, this does interest me.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
So maybe, with this technology combined with headphones, two people could watch different things on the same TV? That would be awesome.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Whoa, so this would essentially kill those frustrating multiplayer games where the screen was too small?

Do go on.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Holy shit Sony made something cool... My world is falling apart. This would be a definite plus if they put it in their next gen consle.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Yes, but what about the sound issue? I don't fancy hearing Coronation Street while I play Metal Gear, and I'm sure the other person doesn't either. For splitscreen though, this will be awesome.

Calumon: Jack's a screenwatcher anyway.

Becoming Insane

Jun 18, 2008
Now THIS is a better use for 3D technology than making games and movies prettier. Sony gets my stamp of approval.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
This.........actually looks awesome. If....IF...it works well, and isn't ridiculously expensive then I'm definitely interested.

I always disliked how easy it was to cheat by glancing at the other half of the screen....this would be a masterpiece.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Cool idea. Now they just need to patent the stereoscopic couch that multiple people can sit/lay on by wearing shutter pants. In the same spot, I mean. Now everyone can have the optimal viewing spot while watching/playing whatever they want to watch/play!

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Man, me and the wife are very pleased about this.

How f**king cool is this? My expectation of 3D just happened.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
...fuck, what about the people who can't see in true 3-d?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Now this is some innovation that's actually impressive. Come up with some more stuff like this, and I may actually buy a 3D TV.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
People probably still do look over at the other person's screen while split screening to determine where they are. It does sound nice though. The 3d glasses and "3d"ness of it's gonna be a problem to some people though. Step forward in inovation though.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Most intriguing. This idea actually does sound useful in the long-term rather than probably just remaining at a gimmick level until the next best thing comes along.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Becoming Insane said:
Now THIS is a better use for 3D technology than making games and movies prettier. Sony gets my stamp of approval.
Ninja'd. You seem to be taking revenge on me here ;)

snow

Jan 14, 2010
I'm in as long as I never have to watch Army Wives ever again! blurrrrg! Not to mention being able to share the TV a lot better with the little one.

dlawnro

Jul 2, 2010
EHKOS said:
...fuck, what about the people who can't see in true 3-d?
I believe this is caused by an inability of the brain to interpret two distinct images and overlap them, which wouldn't be a problem because each person would only be seeing one image as long as you were playing/watching a 2D game/show. It WOULD be a problem if all the games and TV shows were being played in 3D.