Sony Pictures Announces Animated Spider-Man Movie for 2018

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Pictures Announces Animated Spider-Man Movie for 2018

Sony has announced a new animated Spider-Man movie that it will release in theaters on July 20th, 2018.

One of the biggest pieces <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139777-Marvel-and-Sony-Confirm-That-Spider-Mans-Joining-the-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe>of recent news to come out of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20cinematic%20universe?os=marvel+cinematic+universe>the Marvel Cinematic Universe was the reveal that Sony, Disney and Marvel had finally come to terms that will allow Spider-Man to take his rightful place as a member of its ever-evolving continuity. Put shortly, the character will join the MCU with Sony collaborating with Marvel Studio but retaining control of Spidey's film rights. A new stand-alone Spider-Man film is, in turn, planned for release in June 2017 with the new Spider-Man himself set to debut in Captain America: Civil War. Even with these lofty plans in action however, it would seem that Sony wants more.

In an announcement yesterday, Sony revealed plans to create a new animated Spider-Man movie for theatrical release. The film, which is currently slated to hit cinemas on July 20th, 2018 will be produced by Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Moviegoers may remember the duo from their work on The LEGO Movie, arguably one of 2014's more unexpected critical and box office successes. Sony Pictures chairmain Tim Rothman has also confirmed that the new animated feature "will exist independently of the projects in the live-action Spider-Man universe." In other words, this movie will have nothing to do with the MCU.

Speaking personally, I'm not really sure what Sony Pictures hopes to accomplish with this. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's anyone out there who was sitting around thinking "You know what we need? A separate animated Spider-Man franchise." Heck, you'd think after the failure <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9126-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-The-Movie-That-Broke-MovieBob>of The Amazing Spider-Man movies that Sony might want to just cool its jets for awhile and let Marvel take the wheel. That being said, there's no reason this has necessarily have to be bad and if Sony Pictures can produce something worthwhile with this new approach, we'll all be better off.

Source: Variety

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Depends on the age of the view I guess. I know for a fact all three of my kids would love this.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ukomba said:
Depends on the age of the view I guess. I know for a fact all three of my kids would love this.
This is true. In fact, I suppose you could even say Sony might be position this as an alternative for parents who aren't comfortable with the more violent elements of the MCU

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Are we talking CGI, or traditional animation? Because I want to see some god damned traditional animation hit the cinemas again.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hm, normally you would expect them to announce it a year or so before launch.

RJ Dalton said:
Are we talking CGI, or traditional animation? Because I want to see some god damned traditional animation hit the cinemas again.
Im willing to bet its just going to be CGI. SPEA has no reason to do traditional, especially when the competition in that space includes Dreamworks and however many animation studios Disney owns now.

Or we could be surprised, i dont remember the last time a western anime made its debut in theaters.

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
gigastar said:
Hm, normally you would expect them to announce it a year or so before launch.

RJ Dalton said:
Im willing to bet its just going to be CGI. SPEA has no reason to do traditional, especially when the competition in that space includes Dreamworks and however many animation studios Disney owns now.

Or we could be surprised, i dont remember the last time a western anime made its debut in theaters.
What?

Disney and dreamworks are only doing cgi movies these days. If they went animated they'd be able to avoid having to directly compete against them.

But they probably will go cgi because the guys in charge will think "Everybody is doing CGI so that's probably where all the money is!"

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Say what you want about Sony's Spidey movies, but Spectacular Spider-Man was the best super hero cartoon ever. Ever ever. If this is even half as good as Spectacular, then I'm on board.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
gigastar said:

esserin said:
What?

Disney and dreamworks are only doing cgi movies these days. If they went animated they'd be able to avoid having to directly compete against them.

But they probably will go cgi because the guys in charge will think "Everybody is doing CGI so that's probably where all the money is!"
Come now, it's not like the last five Spider-Man films weren't mostly CGI anyways.

I'll... see myself to the door.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I've always thought that the cartoon versions of Spider-Man were much more faithful, fun, and accurate to the character than the live action ones. I think this is the right move.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Guess its a cheaper way to keep making Spiderman movies. I do wonder if the contract Sony has actually allows for cartoon movies as well as live action? Lets hope they go high quality with the animation.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
If they get the guys who did Spectacular Spiderman, then this movie is guaranteed to be a hit.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
voltair27 said:
If they get the guys who did Spectacular Spiderman, then this movie is guaranteed to be a hit.

Otherwise, I have no idea.
Greg Weisman is busy with Star Wars Rebels now, so that's doubtful. Still, one can dream.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RJ Dalton said:
My thoughts exactly. I seriously want them to take that route, especially if it inspires others to explore traditional animation again. Of course, given that Lego Movie was computer animated, we'll have to wait and see.

Otherwise, this is good news. They've finally decided to take the series in a whole new direction, and they got some real talent to work on it. I'm excited to see where this goes.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
OMFG SONY. JUST STOP STOP.....stop it. You fucked up and you keep fucking up and now this ? wots the fucking point. Just give it back fully to disney/marval you have no intention of wanting to make money so give it to ppl who know wtf they are doing.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
They are only doing this so they can keep the spiderman copyright, if they don't keep using him for useless movies they will have to give him back to marvel.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Setch Dreskar said:
They are only doing this so they can keep the spiderman copyright, if they don't keep using him for useless movies they will have to give him back to marvel.
Didn't they already give him back?

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Setch Dreskar said:
Didn't they already give him back?
No, they're sharing him with Marvel, but they'll still get the renew the rights off his solo movies that'll be part of the MCU. This is something else entirely.