Sony: PlayStation Move Is For The Hardcore

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony: PlayStation Move Is For The Hardcore

Sony says the PlayStation Move [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=78137%28GameStopBase%29], the motion controller for the PS3 that's due out later this year, is as much for hardcore gamers as it is for the casual crowd.

Everybody knows that motion controllers are for lightweights. The Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios [http://www.wii.com], says the Move is going to break those chains by appealing as much to the hardcore as it does to the casual.

"The precision of the Move system allows game designers to create games as simulations and games with much more depth than other motion-based game experiences," he told Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-move-targeted-equally-at-core-and-casual]. "We are sure that hardcore gamers will appreciate and enjoy the challenge, with a much finer control over how they interact with the game and achieve greater success in those games."

"It was very interesting to hear comments by a certain journalist who tried Sports Champions' [http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-move-targeted-equally-at-core-and-casual] table tennis, who clearly enjoyed playing the game but complained about the lack of perceived one-to-one control at certain times," he continued. "During the GDC event we were showing the game's entry-level mode, which includes a lot of assists to ensure that everyone who plays the game for the first time can enjoy it. However, we plan to have in the final game a more simulation-based mode, which will allow expert users to really try out their skills. That promises to be a hardcore experience."

That's great, but I do have one question: If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
So Sony's entire argument is "our controller is totally different because we made it and thus simple-minded people who use labels will be drawn to it"

Actually that sounds about right.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I CALL UTTER BULLSHIT!

Sony, I love you, but no. Just no. I don't believe you.

Although if you make a PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus with PlayStation Move controls, I'm fucking buying it anyway.

Yup, I'm a fanboy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...I still dont see how this argument will sell it to the hardcore gamers? Movement is all well and good, but, we dont want to be flailing around when we want to relax, we just want to play and take it easy.

I still want to see more on how exactly it will work, but, im not sold on it yet

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Guess what I'm thinking about this. Clue: it comes from a male cow's bottom.

[Edit] And yes, someone has already said it.

Typhusoid

Nov 20, 2008
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I give it two months before "Holiday Fun with Barry the happy Bear"

OT:If they follow through with some hardcore games that seem appealing and not a platformer Mario Style games. I might look it up.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I think by 'hardcore' they mean 'hardcore at the real life version of the game you are playing' so golf pros will be good at teh golf games, table tennis players will excel at table tennis, soldiers will excel at fps' and samurais will be good at swordplay games

so not hardcore gamers....Fail methinks

Apr 28, 2008
If hardcore gamers don't want to use motion controls, they will most likely not fucking buy it!

Seriously, I highly doubt hardcore gamers will buy this. You can't tell hardcore gamers, who've been following the industry since they were basically kids, what they want and what they'll like. They've grown up with controllers/keyboards and mice, and nothing you can say will make them want to openly welcome a brand new control scheme that the Wii has basically turned into a gimmick (with a few exceptions).

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Please refer to my most recent post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.187794-PlayStation-Move-Off-hand-Called-Navigation-Controller#5760324] post about the PlayStation Move.

Addition: I will say this: I am a hardcore gamer and I will not buy the PlayStation Move because of the dead end it, Natal, and the Wii represent.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
I think the error in the motion control devs' thinking is that we all want to move. We don't. I mean occasionally ... to the fridge for another (root) beer, but that's about it.

We've made a freakin' art form of sitting still with a controller for hours on end for the last several decades, and they think that all that time we were sitting there thinking, "Damn, I wish I could hop about, flailing just like my character on screen. Wouldn't that be rad?"

Srsly.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
*falls on floor*
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*sniff*
That's a good one

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
Typhusoid said:
This is just the same stuff Nintendo was sputing before the Wii was released, and look how that turned out.
Extremely successful? I'm not entirely sure of your point.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
That's great, but I do have one question: If Sony is serious about bringing motion controls to the hardcore, why the hell is it talking about table tennis?
Thats a great point. What about that fighter or SOCOM to talk about?

Calumon: Silly! They're all just plain Silly! XD

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
This is the SAME EXACT LOGIC that Sony used to reason the "hardcore" would blindly pick up a $599 machine, and one exec's claim 5M people would buy it without even picking up a single game.

JonahNYC

Mar 13, 2008
zelda2fanboy said:
Hahahahahaha. Ha. Why isn't Nintendo suing them? They have a patent, right?
Because the Move basically uses the EyeToy to track movement. That's why you need to buy TWO controllers, one packed with an EyeToy, in order to do any of the games in Sports Champion. One $99, the other $59. Yay! You just spend $160 + the cost of a PS3 to play a game that comes packed with the $199 Wii!