Sony Pulls Grand Theft Auto V Pre-Order Files After Leaks

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony Pulls Grand Theft Auto V Pre-Order Files After Leaks

Sony has removed digital pre-order files for Grand Theft Auto V from the European PlayStation Store following spoiler leaks.

European gamers recently had the opportunity to download pre-order files for Grand Theft Auto V. Unfortunately for Rockstar, several people took it upon themselves to crack open these files and take a peek at the spoilers residing inside. Apparently these included all of the game's audio tracks including its ending to the game's story.

Understandably mortified by this turn of events, Sony has since pulled the pre-order download from the European PlayStation Store and has issued a statement apologizing to fans and to Rockstar for the leaks. "Regrettably, some people who downloaded the digital pre-order of Grand Theft Auto V through the PlayStation Store in Europe were able to access certain GTA V assets. These assets were posted online," said Sid Shuman, Social Media Manager for Sony. "We sincerely apologize to Rockstar and GTA fans across the world who were exposed to the spoiler content."

At this point, of course, with the leaked info already making rounds on the internet, Sony's efforts at damage control will likely be limited in their effectiveness. That in mind, Grand Theft Auto fans intent on playing the game spoiler free would do well to stay mindful of their potential presence on forums and comment boards until the game releases on September 17th.

Source: PlayStation Blog

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I have to wonder; Did they think people were not going to crack the files?

I read the tracklist, and I will say this, I sure am glad that Rockstar allow users to import their own mp3s. At least on the P.C.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
I don't understand why you would want to discover what is going to happen in the game you just bought by reading some files instead of playing it.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
getoffmycloud said:
I don't understand why you would want to discover what is going to happen in the game you just bought by reading some files instead of playing it.
People are curious folk; they'll try to take a deeper look into anything if they have the will to do so. The discovery of the ending details were likely by accident after the files were cracked - It wasn't something known and directly aimed for. And, to be honest, Sony should've known that the files should be withheld until release day; especially in the Europe region, where many if not a majority of hacks and cracks of various files originate from.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
black flag, descendents, youth brigade, circle jerks, the germs... looks like we're getting a punk rock radio station, awesome! I'm liking this ^^

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Just wondering, will Escapist mods be deleting spoilers if someone decides to put them up on here?

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Does it really matter that much? It's not like you can play the game with that data, it's only some sound files and unimportant stuff. I fail to see what the big deal is.

2HF

May 24, 2011
I don't get this.

There is a not a single person who is going to not buy the game because "oh no, I know the story of a GTA game now!". Even fewer than 0 people are going to not buy the game due to the set list being leaked. Why does anyone care? If you're playing GTA for the story you're doing it wrong.

GTA V will still sell a billion copies and soon nobody will even remember or care that some info that nobody cares about was leaked. Hell, the leak about Lazlo being back has actually made me more likely to purchase the game.

What the balls.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
2HF said:
I don't get this.

There is a not a single person who is going to not buy the game because "oh no, I know the story of a GTA game now!". Even fewer than 0 people are going to not buy the game due to the set list being leaked. Why does anyone care? If you're playing GTA for the story you're doing it wrong.

GTA V will still sell a billion copies and soon nobody will even remember or care that some info that nobody cares about was leaked. Hell, the leak about Lazlo being back has actually made me more likely to purchase the game.

What the balls.
What will you be playing GTA V for? I mean, I always enjoy the stories in GTA games. They're usually a good gangster flick with humor, violence, sex not necessarily in that order. Yes, just like anyone I sometimes do mess around in the sandbox, but mostly the story is the first thing that compels me to play. Of course the gameplay is a huge factor as well, a huge map, many vehicles, many weapons.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Seagoon said:
Fuck people who do stuff like this. Seriously, fuck them.
It's what people do. Get used to it.

This is Sonys fault for not protecting the stuff properly (ie. with encryption). It's really not rocket science.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Commander Obvious said:
Look, I don't usually state the obvious, but... They always data mine this stuff. What did you expect, sony?
Apparently Sony has no experience with the video game industry. The fact that this would happen has apparently never occurred to them. /Sarcasm

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Floppertje said:
black flag, descendents, youth brigade, circle jerks, the germs... looks like we're getting a punk rock radio station, awesome! I'm liking this ^^
I'm glad you said this because I am not willing to ruin a single thing for myself, but I'm glad to know that there's a punk station to look forward to.

Rip them down Hold me up Tell them that Im your gun Pull my trigger I am bigger than...

RIP Darby Crash

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Spoiling a game that hasn't been released yet is the dickest of dick moves. Though it's grand theft auto so you probably know how the story goes.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Come on, we all know the ending.

Snape kills Spock, who at the last moment, stops the SS Rosebud from sinking. After, Spock reveals to Commander Shepard that he chose the green option.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
To be honest its not something i'll blame sony for as its some fools who think they're gaining something in screwing about with... well everyone, i'll keep my head down and avoid everything since i want to know nothing but still a bit saddening that cool things get tainted but this form of asshatness.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Commander Obvious said:
Look, I don't usually state the obvious, but... They always data mine this stuff. What did you expect, sony?
It is kind of amazing at how tech companies obviously don't understand TECHNOLOGY. People will datamine, no matter what. And they're not really being malicious about it either, they're just curious.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
That explains how the trophy list appeared on PSNProfiles then... People just can't leave well enough alone can they?