Sony Pulls Wipeout HD In-Game Ads Following Fan Uproar

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sony Pulls Wipeout HD In-Game Ads Following Fan Uproar

Sony has removed in-game ads from Wipeout HD following widespread protest among fans and claims that the "dynamic video advertisements" were slowing down load times.

If you complain, sometimes they will listen. A few days ago, Wipeout HD implemented a number of in-game advertisements, notably for State Farm Insurance, that appeared as videos during pre-race load screens. Fans cried foul and took to the internet to express their frustration, and now Sony has relented and pulled the ads.

As you can tell from this extreme example [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX4f9zts6JM], the ads apparently weren't just an annoying presence in the game, they drastically changed the experience. Load times lengthened to as long as ten seconds longer than they were before, and apparently would even show up in the game even if the PS3 wasn't connected to the internet. I can only imagine the agony for the kind of speed demons who play Wipeout of waiting an extra ten seconds before you can get your race on.

"The ad has been removed from WipEout HD and we are investigating the situation to ensure that any in-game advertising does not affect gameplay," Sony told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sony-removes-naughty-wipeout-advert].

Good job, internet. You got something done. For once.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Honestly, Wipeout having ads just seems natural to me.

[edit] Nevermind, seeing how the ads worked in the game after watching the video has changed my mind. I thought it was billboards and stuff along the track.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That was incredibly dumb of Sony.

Why not sell space on track side bill boards? It worked in the early Wipeouts, why not now when the signs can be on HD?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I'm glad they removed it to preserve the experience. Just imagine if they were stubborn and kept the ads in.

Talk about a ruined game.

Generator

May 8, 2009
I didn't think 10 seconds was too long, but after watching the video, I can see that it is a noticeable difference. Nice of Sony to listen to the fans.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tenmar said:
There is a huge difference between having the ads pre-loaded versus having revolving ads that require streaming and downloading each time you play the game.
But why does there need to be? Changing a bunch of textures every three months shouldn't create that big a problem.

If the add spaces were sold on 3 month contracts the updates would be small and far enough apart to not be a problem, then you have the signs preloaded the next time you play.

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Wait they tried to pull that video add BS... Oh if that ever becomes a big thing with gaming I'm gonna freak out.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Generator said:
I didn't think 10 seconds was too long, but after watching the video, I can see that it is a noticeable difference.
That's what I was thinking: 'Holy crap this is waaay longer'.
Especially since you're watching, and can see that it's just so that the stupid ad can finish. As soon as it was done, then the game 'loaded'. Bad move in the first place, but at least they fixed it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Now see, this is how you should use the Internet to combat evil.
Where the hell was the internet petition? I WANT MAH INTERNETZ PETISHUN!!

So far, I have seen a total of one advertisment during loading screens and that was for the "WipEout Fury" add-on (which, by the way, if you don't have you really need to get it, it has literally twice the content for half the price!). Though it did have a notable effect on the load time overall.

shifty89

Jul 21, 2009
i find this trend towars shoving advertising in games now. Granted sony psn is free but you still had to pay for thr game, and to load a product that you already paid for with adverts is really pushing the boat out on sheer greed.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
And the prize of how not to incorporate advertisements into games goes to....*drum roll* SONY!!

Seriously though who ok'd this? Anyone with a brain could see that ads like that would be hated by players. My guess is some marketing guy got the can at Sony for letting something like that make it past inspection. At least they got rid of em so props to Sony for listening to their customers.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
Advertisement in games can work; the best example i can think of is the Apple product placement in MGS4; All the computers that Otacon, Sunny, etc had were either Mac Pro's or MacBook pro's; the product placement was kind of blatant, but it didn't interrupt the flow of the game, as these wipeout ad's would have done. However THE best thing about the Apple/MGS4 partnership was Snake's iPod; a great inclusion to the game IMO.

Anyway, to keep my post relevant to the topic, I'll say that if in game advertisement is to become commonplace, then it should add to the experience.