Sony Pushes PS Vita's Western Release Back to 2012

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Latinidiot said:
I'm just surprised they made it that cheap. I mean, 250 isn't a lot of money.
That's still expensive in comparison to the 3DS. Some of the games on the Vita may look new and different, but that doesn't mean they're good. Too Human was "new and different" and look how poorly received that was. And it's not just Too Human, other games have done it before. People want games they KNOW will be at the very least good games (of course they can be great) and Nintendo has those in abundance (as far as first parties are concerned). Without the Vita to even challenge them this Holiday as well as being sold for a loss, the Vita just put themselves way behind in the race.

Durai

May 1, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that Sony had put a lot into the Vita and made it very affordable, and added that Sony did not feel the need to alter its pricing
My memory isn't what it used to be, but wasn't the pricing of the PSP Go one of it's biggest criticisms? I know it had the whole no UMD/no digital copies of games you already owned going against it(a flaw that I've been able to rectify), but I'm fairly certain the fact that it was only $50 less than a PS3 (w/ Blu-Ray) played a large part of it. If the PSP Go wasn't considered affordable, I'm pretty sure the Vita won't be either.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
Leviano said:
I think they are making a smart move. The 3DS suffered from bad sales due to all their power players not releasing games til 2-3 months after release. What Sony are effectively doing is making sure that the first impression is the best impression.

I personally like the "its ready when its ready", approach. Nice move Sony, finally you seem to be doing something right this year :).
The 3DS isn't that graphically weaker then the Vita. The gap isn't as big as the DS and PSP one.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
The_Emperor said:
Latinidiot said:
bout 156 pounds sterling, thats like a weeks worth of food for a family of four or five.

That's a lot of money to some people

that's a fortune to some one in India.

Yeah, I know it's a lot of money, and more than I'm willing to spend, but I suspected it to be a lot higher.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
BrunDeign said:
Latinidiot said:
That's still expensive in comparison to the 3DS. Some of the games on the Vita may look new and different, but that doesn't mean they're good. Too Human was "new and different" and look how poorly received that was. And it's not just Too Human, other games have done it before. People want games they KNOW will be at the very least good games (of course they can be great) and Nintendo has those in abundance (as far as first parties are concerned). Without the Vita to even challenge them this Holiday as well as being sold for a loss, the Vita just put themselves way behind in the race.
yeah, that's all great and everything, but i am still surprised by the very reasonable price of it.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
What about the Japanese release? Is that still this year? I was hoping to buy it as a Christmas present to myself while I'm there. Of course, I'll still be there next March anyway, so it won't matter too much.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Pushing the Vita's launch back gives Nintendo that much longer to saturate the market uncontested.

The sole benefit here is that if Sony feels the next-gen handheld market is dead, they can still pull out.
But it'd be costly: All of that R&D and marketing money down the drain. Not to forget the legal costs from lawsuits issued by the developers who get screwed over (launch titles don't come from nowhere).
But it still allows Sony that option.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
FallenTraveler said:
Ziadaine said:
It's probably a good thing though. IIRC When the PS3 first came out there wasn't alot of games for it at first, plus the Wifi+3G is still only $299 which imo is well affordable for whats packed into it.

My main curiosity is what happens to our PSP games. will we be able to play them on it or will this be the first time sony halted a game generation? (unlike Nintendo's consoles)
No UMD's but there may be a chance that we can get them in digital form, I just have no idea how they're going to do that.

On the bright side any downloaded games from psn for psp will work
I hope there's a something we can buy to do that that isnt costly. OR SO HELP ME THOR!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Thats unfortunate. I had hoped to ask for one for Christmas instead of using my own money. Oh well.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Gah, reminds me of the 3DS... the release date's pushed back for some reason or another.

Oh well, Nintendo needed this. More time to go unchallenged by Sony as they try to rack up sales and get out more games.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Latinidiot said:
BrunDeign said:
Latinidiot said:
yeah, that's all great and everything, but i am still surprised by the very reasonable price of it.
Well Sony really couldn't afford (figuratively not literally) making the price anything but "reasonable." That would really have put a nail in its coffin from the start.

I also just thought of something. This means that the WiiU releases in the same year as the Vita. Will that convince some people (people who would have gotten it for a Christmas present) to just save their money and get the WiiU instead? That might be a possibility.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
BrunDeign said:
Latinidiot said:
BrunDeign said:
Latinidiot said:
Well Sony really couldn't afford (figuratively not literally) making the price anything but "reasonable." That would really have put a nail in its coffin from the start.

I also just thought of something. This means that the WiiU releases in the same year as the Vita. Will that convince some people (people who would have gotten it for a Christmas present) to just save their money and get the WiiU instead? That might be a possibility.
I guess they learned that lesson from the PS3, didn't they.