Sony Refund Policy Criticized Following No Man's Sky Launch

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sony Refund Policy Criticized Following No Man's Sky Launch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/930/930568.png
People are having a hard time getting refunds for the PS4 version of No Man's Sky.

Eurogamer reports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/no%20mans%20sky?os=no+mans+sky] that gamers asking for No Man's Sky refunds are being fed ridiculous lines such as "you will never be able to play the game again."

One such gamer, Blastiel, 35, from Manchester, told Eurogamer that when he spoke to PlayStation customer support rep called Noah regarding a refund, he was told that Sony would process the refund, but that he would never be able to play No Man's Sky again.

"I was told I couldn't re-buy it off the store digitally, and I couldn't buy a physical copy because whatever system they employ in the background wouldn't let me run it. They delete the license from your account, and that seems to put a block on it," said Blastiel.

"I would happily re-buy the game at a later date if it improved, if the features promised were put in, if the crashing was fixed, because these things do get fixed over time," he said, saying that he ended up not going through with the refund. "I didn't really want to get my money back and then never be able to play it again. It just seems counter-productive."

Roscoe, 31, from Shropshire, tells a similar story. Meanwhile, Paul, 34 from Leeds and Mark, from North Wales, were simply refused their refund requests from Sony all together.

Meanwhile, if you purchased the PC version of No Man's Sky from Steam, you can get a 100% no-questions-asked refund within 14 days of purchasing the game, provided you have played the game for less than two hours.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-19-no-mans-sky-refund-sony]

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Meanwhile, if you purchased the PC version of No Man's Sky from Steam, you can get a 100% no-questions-asked refund within 14 days of purchasing the game.
That's only half true.

"Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours."

I used to think that was fairly reasonable actually, but then you get something like No Man's Sky where every feature is designed as a time sink. It can take a fair bit longer than that to fully comprehend how thoroughly shallow the game is.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Jadak said:
Steven Bogos said:
Meanwhile, if you purchased the PC version of No Man's Sky from Steam, you can get a 100% no-questions-asked refund within 14 days of purchasing the game.
That's only half true.

"Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours."

I used to think that was fairly reasonable actually, but then you get something like No Man's Sky where every feature is designed as a time sink. It can take a fair bit longer than that to fully comprehend how thoroughly shallow the game is.
He might be confusing it with GOG. Even then it's 30 days not 14.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Also, they ask you questions about why you are asking for a refund. Words mean things, article writer.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
First off the Steam refund is WORTHLESS for a game like NMS (No Man's Sky) because you probably won't even have the game crash in the first two hours, certainly won't have it delete your save (not sure if that happens on the PC version as well or not), and can't get a real idea of how good the game is by then. A Demo of NMS would have to include more then 2 hours for anyone to really get a feel for it.

Second, I got a refund for the digital version easily and fast. I didn't even need to mention that my ps4 save game was corrupted after playing it for quite awhile, and that I was not willing to reply it all again. I have seen many people on the forums get refunds and the sony reps seem to be doing it right away without even asking questions or doing their normal speil about how it's a one time refund etc.

In fact, this article seems to be stating the exact opposite of what the various message boards have been showing, that anyone can get a refund on this game. People have gotten refunds at Best Buy even, full ones, even though they opened the game and played it. Why? Because the employees at Best Buy ALSO had problems with the game and understood where the customer was coming from.

NMS over all is a fun game (Was for me) and I, like many others, would purchase it again if the bugs where fixed. It was not ready to be released though and it makes sense to get a refund now (While you can) and just rebuy it later if things get fixed. You can't do that on steam though (way too short of a time limit), but you can do that with a digital purchase, many stores that sell physical copies will let you return it as well, and if you bought it at gamestop or other stores that don't, it's currently selling used on Amazon for $42.

Considering there was a sale (may still be on) selling the game for $47, which started the day after release (where I had purchased it for full price), getting $42 back for a game you might have paid only $47 is pretty decent.

The one thing I have learned from this is that I am NEVER going to buy any game again on release or pre-order any games again. It's best to wait and see how the game works first, and it seems like half the games go on sale within a week or 2 of release at this point, which is crazy.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
To think all this could have prevented by waiting 14 days to see how all this turns out.

Oh well. What can we do right? Nothing. They would've bought it anyways.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
wulfy42 said:
First off the Steam refund is WORTHLESS for a game like NMS (No Man's Sky)

hahaha why did you abbrievate NMS and put the full title in brackets anyway.......defeats the purpose.....?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
To think all this could have prevented by waiting 14 days to see how all this turns out.

Once you board the hype train, there's no getting off.

OT; People were expecting a lot from this game, but at no point did the developer make any promise that wheat they were expecting would be present in the game. All they really said was that it was going to be proceduraly generated universe that you can freely explore. I don't understand how people can read something like that and not automatically think it shallow.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
008Zulu said:

OT; People were expecting a lot from this game, but at no point did the developer make any promise that wheat they were expecting would be present in the game. All they really said was that it was going to be proceduraly generated universe that you can freely explore. I don't understand how people can read something like that and not automatically think it shallow.
I've been able to jump off the hype train a couple times.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I've dealt with Sony customer service on a few occasions. They have been nothing but kind and understanding. Hell, after my PS4 got fried by a friend's faulty electrical outlet, I was able to send it in for free, and they ended up sending me back a brand new system (I had bought an extended warranty).

These claims seem dubious at best. I see little to no proof of them as well. Anyone can claim anything. They may be true, but I am skeptical.

008Zulu said:

I got exactly what I expected. I feel like it's a kind of relaxing game. Thus far I have enjoyed it. I can see people not enjoying it and there are certain things I would like to see added to the game, but overall, I think it's just fine. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
King_Julian said:
wulfy42 said:

hahaha why did you abbrievate NMS and put the full title in brackets anyway.......defeats the purpose.....?
Actually they did that so when they continue to use the abbreviation, people reading it know what the abbreviation is.

If you intend on using abbreviations it is important to write it out fully the first time, so people don't have to go "What is NMS?".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
008Zulu said:

Actually people made a list with sources of everything promised and suggested that was absent from the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/

drakonz

Mar 1, 2014
008Zulu said:

You are ignoring that developers promised a lot over course of the years while game was still in development. Including ability to see and play with other players, but its been confirmed its not posible. + things like landing on asteroid, sort of altering look of your character, animal having smart reactive ai, things getting bigger and stranger near center of galaxy etc. (Some promises and things they stated actualy seem insane including this one: ''When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength.'' Worst part is that there are many insane statements during their earlier interviews similar to that one.)

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
These issues are always wildly confusing and concerning as a non-American.

On the flipside, its also kind of funny every time you ask for a refund and they do the 'not our problem' dance before being gently reminded they're legally obligated.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Saelune said:
King_Julian said:
wulfy42 said:

Actually they did that so when they continue to use the abbreviation, people reading it know what the abbreviation is.

If you intend on using abbreviations it is important to write it out fully the first time, so people don't have to go "What is NMS?".
Thanks for explaining it:)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
wulfy42 said:
Saelune said:
King_Julian said:
wulfy42 said:

Its a pet peeve of mine when people use abbreviations without saying what it is first. I got more than a few posts of just "What does abc mean?", some I even knew, but wanted it stated somewhere for those who didn't but might not ask.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Good to be reminded that, for all the praise sony got over the new gen consoles, they're still not your bud and they're still not your friend.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Considering that Sony support generally just feeds you the line "All purchases are final, no refunds ever. Except maybe this one time on good faith..." it's surprising that people even got this bullshit excuse instead of the usual stonewall. And god forbid you get the refund through your purchase method so you actually get money back instead of Sony funbucks, because then they suspend your account until you pay the purchase off again, and then ban your account after it stops being suspended.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Saelune said:
wulfy42 said:
Saelune said:
King_Julian said:
wulfy42 said:

Its a pet peeve of mine when people use abbreviations without saying what it is first. I got more than a few posts of just "What does abc mean?", some I even knew, but wanted it stated somewhere for those who didn't but might not ask.
It was required for any papers I wrote while going to college, and even though I don't actually pay attention to spelling/grammar etc that much when posting (I don't look back and check for mistakes etc), I still try and make what I post understandable if possible..which includes breaking down any abbreviations the first time. Also, I have seen tons of people use abbreviations all the time that I guess are common knowledge but I have no clue what they mean. That is so annoying. I think it is something new for recent generations due to using iphones/texting etc. We almost need an abbreviation dictionary at this point:)