Sony Registers "PlayStation Move" for Motion Controller?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Registers "PlayStation Move" for Motion Controller?

The PlayStation Arc/Wand/Gem/Whatever may finally have an actual name - and a logo.

As of last week, all signs were pointing to the official name of Sony's motion controller Microsoft trademark [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98799-Sony-Trademarks-PlayStation-Arc-in-Japan].

Now, after undoubtedly-frantic scrambling to think of a new name in Sony's boardrooms, we may have a new name for the Sony motion wand: PlayStation Move. The name was registered yesterday in Europe, along with the image you see here to the right. Frankly, I don't really see how this would be a "M" for Move at all ("A" for Arc, yes), but maybe it's not supposed to be a letter at all?

It's not quite as interesting or as futuristic-sounding a name as "Arc" was - thought at least it's not the development title - but I suppose that with the device scheduled to debut today at GDC, Sony had to move very quick to come up with a new one.

"PlayStation Move," eh? Will it catch the public's proverbial eye?

(Via Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-motion-controller-gets-new-name])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Ugh. I hope that's not the real name.

It's like giving the PS3 an order!

Playstation, MOVE!

Bad PS3, I told you to move! BAD!

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Eh, i sorta like the symbol, it's simple, even if it was probably more intended for something begining with A...

Also, anybody else think that somewhere down the road there's going to be some issues, mainly since 'Move' sounds an awful like 'Mote'?

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Thank god the name of the thing tells us what to do, without it I might not have realised a motion controller wanted me to move.

Its a good name its just too generic when we could have had Arc.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
The Playstation Move?

That's not intruiging at all, it sounds like some dull game meant to use the Playstation eye for some generic Minigames.

Keep trying Sony, keep trying.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
I prefer Move to Gem, Arc was quite good though. It seems to me that it is meant to appeal to the house wives and children with "Move" rather than have something with a bit more of a ring to it.

Also I do like the logo a lot.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
The symbol... looks... very.... erect to me.

Lame name... lame symbol. Try again Sony marketing department. Call Activision up, they probably have some visc.... SLEDGHAMMER ideas!

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
This sucks. I liked Arc better, plus it would look like it had more in common with the logo -_-

Bad Sony, you do not do that again. -hits with a newspaper made of steel-

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
That is an incredibly lame name. It's too common a word, and doesn't catch my attention. Keep trying Sony, I'm sure you're paying people well for this.

I haven't seen any videos for the controls since E3, but I was not impressed then. I thought it looked like the Wii controls except (more) awkward. I expected better from Sony. I don't own a PS3, but I respect the system. Sony's fans deserve more than Wiimote 2.0

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
I can see the tag lines now: "What moves you?" "PS3 it only does motion" "Welcome to the MOVEment" I'm sure this will head towards more awesome Kevin Butler ads, which is always a win.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Move is.. rather meh. Out of the names we've seen, I think Arc was probably the best.

Anything's better than Wand though, even if the possibilities for humour with that one are endless.