Sony Remastering God of War I and II for PS3

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
So this is why they cut PS2 compatability, so they can repackage old games to sell at full price.

Marvellous.
Getting 2 games remade with suppesedly better graphics, higher frame rate and in HD for 40$ isn't that bad of a deal

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'm still not buying a ps3 they do know that right...I don't think even GoW3 will make me want to buy a ps3 unless it come bundled with one.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
tk1989 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
tk1989 said:
interesting... now to wait and see whether they actually polish it up at all or just re-release the game with upscaling support....
Well...they did say they were going to polish it up in the article...
Aye, but "polishing" could just be a fancy word for "upscaling" with some "anti-aliased graphics", which is what the PS3 already does with previous generation games aren't i correct? (if you owned a PS3 with the ability to do so ofc). The point im making is what they have said is quite ambiguous; from what they have said we really have no idea whether this "polishing" up job is a 5 day process or a 5 month one, we really have no clue whether Sony are actually doing anything real to the game to update it or are just cashing in.
I didn't think that the PS3 upscaled PS2 games, but I was never sure, so that's news to me. To be honest, when they said polished, I never expected much more than AA.

It won't make me popular, but I'm going to go ahead and go for the latter on this one, which is what I was kind of beating around the bush with in my first post. Fix-the-spade, however, instead opted to take a chainsaw to it.
fix-the-spade said:
So this is why they cut PS2 compatability, so they can repackage old games to sell at full price.

Marvellous.
Ahh fix-the-spade, what are you like, eh? I agree though, these games are only 2-3 years old. At least the MP trilogy remastered the visuals and gave a new control scheme. But hey, we aren't comparing at this point. IMO I would consider buying this if I didn't still have my PS2 somewhere.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good deal, though I think that the changes made to the games will probably be minimal (besides the trophies, which I'm pleased about.)

EDIT: While this is rather recent for a remake, I consider it more of a bundling to regain interest in the IP than a re-release. I see this as an attempt to grease the wheels of the GOW3 hype machine: and it's a good one at that.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
fix-the-spade said:

Marvellous.
My thoughts exactly. While having some visually improved classics is a good thing, God of War isn't a very old franchise, and it's not like there will be significant differences gameplay-wise between the "remastered" duo and God of War III.

Now,
asiepshtain said:
if the Ico team does the same for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I might even
keep my PS3.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I don't own a PS3 and I played both "God of War"s on my PS2.

I don't feel the need to revisit the games (even if I eventually end up buying a PS3 for $300), but I have to admit this does sound like a nice deal with two great games in HD graphics at $39,00.

Truth is, however, I also have to agree it was a very anti-consumer on Sony's behalf of cutting backwards compatibility.

The "God of War" package still retains value, but it makes things sound fishy enough given the circumstances. And it doesn't excuse Sony's other actions.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I think I just might get a PS3. I mean, I love God of War, and I was bummed that GoW III is on the PS3, but two awesome games for $40?

Hellz to the Yeah

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this is so cool, tho i just finished both on my ps3 earlier this year

ChromeAlchemist said:
I didn't think that the PS3 upscaled PS2 games, but I was never sure, so that's news to me. To be honest, when they said polished, I never expected much more than AA.
it did but it also cropped the screen to make it non-widescreen, so you had annoying black bars

so really this is a better version of what they are doing

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
US Trooper said:
If their not going to remake Final Fantasy VII, why God of War
what? Square made FF7, not Sony. what are you talking about. besides alot of the FF games being on sony´s systems, they have no relations.

*head-desk*

sorry if i sound a little mean, but it is quite obvious that Sony never made final fantasy.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Holy buckets of orbs, Sony's marketing department came up with a good idea. Did somebody spice their drinks or something cause this is a really nice deal.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Simriel said:
I am gonna go with, trying to fill a pretty clear release schedule.
...Have you seen the release schedule for this holiday season and the months leading up to it? There is a good game coming out at LEAST once a month.

fix-the-spade said:

Marvellous.
You didn't see this coming the instant they cut the compatibility?

I still feel a little smug about the fact that I have a first gen PS3 that plays my old copy of GoW2. If it wasn't for the trophy update, I probably wouldn't even consider buying this.(yes, I really like getting trophies and achievements)

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I was sort of wishing that they'd throw in that PSP exclusive game as well, since I wanted to play that but not enough to throw down the money to buy a PSP. Still, 1 and 2 were undeniably fun and being able to play them again with touched up graphics and such is very appealing. I doubt I'll be buying this, but I'll definitely clear a spot in my GF Queue when the time comes.

Worsle

Jul 4, 2008
oppp7 said:
Are they going to release them for the Xbox or PC?
Yes sony is going to release its own games on its comparators console. This is exactly what they will do because it is a good idea for them. I am not kidding.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Here's an idea for Sony. They could wait on the collection, release GoW3, and then a year later release all three of them on one disc as God of Wartroid Prime Trilogy...

P.S. Thanks

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Worsle said:
oppp7 said:
Are they going to release them for the Xbox or PC?
Yes sony is going to release its own games on its comparators console. This is exactly what they will do because it is a good idea for them. I am not kidding.
Good, I heard God of War was good and don't know many games that are good that came out recently (excluding the cookie-cutter shooters).