Sony Responds To "PlayStation Palm" Diagnosis

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
AceDiamond said:
This isn't the first condition to be named after videogames by a long shot.

There was Nintendonitis in the 80s, for example.
yup that's the first thing i thought of

still pretty funny they crated a condition, it does say something about the power and popularity of the console tho

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
sooo, she had athlete's foot on her hands....wicked....why not just call it gamer's hand? Makes more sense if you ask me.

EDIT
Actually credit for this condition should probably go to the N64, particularly the mario party games that appeared on it...I still have calluses from spinning that joystick in circles with the palm of my hand.

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
Brokkr said:
The only controller that I have ever been injured from is the N64 controller while playing Mario Party. In some of the minigames, the best way to win is to put the palm of your hand on the control stick and rotate it as fast as possible. I scraped a couple layers of skin off my hand a couple of times doing that.
Ah, those rotating minigames...the least they could have done is make the stick a little softer and not have given it sharp ridges. I literally cut into my thumb once playing one of those..whats worse, I stopped when I saw blood and the computer won...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Soxfan1016 said:
Ah, those rotating minigames...the least they could have done is make the stick a little softer and not have given it sharp ridges. I literally cut into my thumb once playing one of those..whats worse, I stopped when I saw blood and the computer won...
To their credit, nintendo made the GCB joysticks a lil softer for the gaming masses, though I do have the rubber missing on some due to the mario parties on that system

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
ckeymel said:
It seems bizarre that something like this would crop up only just now - perhaps its caused more by the controller shape or the plastic used or something like that...
Or there was simply something on the controller being used? If you ask me, the victim should've consulted an allergist as well. Then again, I'm no dermatologist, so what do I know.

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Lol, I was actually watching the news when I heard my local newscaster report on this. It was hillarious she went on to say that only one person was in this "Medical Study". I generally dissaprove at the medias attempt to demonize video games but I got a good laugh out of this one.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
Brokkr said:
The only controller that I have ever been injured from is the N64 controller while playing Mario Party. In some of the minigames, the best way to win is to put the palm of your hand on the control stick and rotate it as fast as possible. I scraped a couple layers of skin off my hand a couple of times doing that.
Dude, I went through that exact same thing!! I had been rotating the stick in the palm of my hand, and it caused a few layers to slough off in a circular pattern.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Brokkr said:
I knew I wasn't the only one! Goddamnit, that thing always caused me pain.
Even normal use could hurt you, depending on how you used the control stick. (I'd push it from the sides, causing painful indents, for instance.)
remember how you would always know that one person who played so long that he wore off the top of the stick until it was just plastic? or was that just me, THAT was pain.

JohnSmith

Jan 19, 2009
the chase levels in the early crash bandicoot were pretty tough on the hand muscles since you were expected to keep the down direction pressed constantly, i'm not sure whether this got better or not with the analog stick

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Abedeus said:
If I break my keyboard on the head, will I get a medical condition for stupidity?
I'd call it 'frustration' and tell you to lay off the Counter-Strike.

I think the only 'gaming' injury I've ever had, wasn't even caused by gaming. I dropped the power box thingy from my xbox on my foot the first day I got it. Damn that hurt! Xbox Foot? I doubt it. She probably forgot to wash her hands after going to the bathroom or something and bacteria would have gotten on her controller, and due to excessive playing, would have just got something from that.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Radelaide said:
Abedeus said:
If I break my keyboard on the head, will I get a medical condition for stupidity?

I think the only 'gaming' injury I've ever had, wasn't even caused by gaming. I dropped the power box thingy from my xbox on my foot the first day I got it. Damn that hurt! Xbox Foot? I doubt it. She probably forgot to wash her hands after going to the bathroom or something and bacteria would have gotten on her controller, and due to excessive playing, would have just got something from that.
I haven't played CS since last summer.

Also, I was talking about breaking it on purpose, just to get the condition named after me.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Abedeus said:
Radelaide said:
Abedeus said:

Also, I was talking about breaking it on purpose, just to get the condition named after me.
Abedeusitis - The uncontrollable urge to break your keyboard with your forehead. See: Stupidity.

Something like that?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
MrGFunk said:
Malygris said:
Sony Responds To "PlayStation Palm" Diagnosis
During a particularly heavy burnout weekend a about 5 months ago I did get some red marks in the palms of my hands from the sixaxis. Didn't think much of it at the time. Now I know I've had the disease I feel a bit silly. It was worth it though.

Maybe I should get a dual shock?
Only difference is vibration and it's heavier, so it won't do any better.

Pirce said:
I find this all very strange, I've been playing video games quite a lot since I was two and I've never gotten anything like this before. And this is coming from a guy who played Street Fighter for so long that he had to get muscle relaxer shot into his hand.
What's worse is playing Time Crisis for hours on end so your arms and back are in agony (especially since my TV was high up back then aswell)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Radelaide said:
Abedeus said:
Radelaide said:
Abedeus said:

Abedeusitis - The uncontrollable urge to break your keyboard with your forehead. See: Stupidity.

Something like that?
!Exacta!

Something worse than being an idiot and better than permament damage due to failure in gamepad usage.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Brokkr said:
Practically no one in my classroom during those first months of constant "mario parties" had any skin in their palms.

Constant jokes about self-pleasuring as predicted.

Oh yeah, and in case you forgot it wasn't only the mini-games, I remember there was a flying toad or one of those flying masked guys in one of the option menus or one of the stores where you could get extra features, it asked you to spin as fast as you could the control stick for like 20 seconds, and you could never get the prize for it, result: like 2 straight mins trying to achieve it, no palm skin left whatsoever (extremely bright pink skin, hurt like hell). Crazy crazy times.

(doh, looked it up, was called mecha fly guy, my first language is spanish, never quite understood the thing it said so I thought you could unlock something... i hate nintendo)

QUOTED FROM GAMEFAQS
If you've previously bought the Mecha Fly Guy for 100 Coins, at the
Mushroom Shop, he'll be on the table on the left. He plays as a kind
of mini-game. Select him, and you'll have 10 seconds to rotate the
Control Stick as fast as you can, then you'll see how far he flies.
Your record time, and amount of spins will be saved. Supposedly, if
you are able to rtoate 100 times in 10 seconds, he'll end up back on
the table at whih he started. This is just for fun.