Sony Says 3D Can Give Gamers an Edge Online

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Of course Sony would say that - they want to sell their insanely expensive 3D products.

And why would I buy their products when 3D PC gaming is less then $500?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Virgil said:
Donnyp said:
I agree with this statement somewhat but 3D would probably screw us with the immersion till everyone got used to actually seeing shit come at them lol.
3D gaming doesn't involve things trying to pop out of the screen at you, or at least it won't for good games. Like bad 3D movies, I'm sure crappy games will try to do that too. But it makes the screen seem more like a window than a flat display. It's hard to explain without seeing it.

If you have glasses and can remember it, it's kind of like the first time you ever got them - you probably never noticed how much you were missing until you put them on and saw what everything should look like. It's very impressive when you see it in action though - it's a subtle effect that you really notice when it's not there.
This is what I've been saying since I played some 3D games at Sony's meet and greet event in Boston. You really need to play it before you judge. Things dont pop out at you, it increases immersion to the point where you feel like you are in the world of the game. I cannot wait for Killzone 3 in 3D

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Virgil said:
Donnyp said:
I agree with this statement somewhat but 3D would probably screw us with the immersion till everyone got used to actually seeing shit come at them lol.
3D gaming doesn't involve things trying to pop out of the screen at you, or at least it won't for good games. Like bad 3D movies, I'm sure crappy games will try to do that too. But it makes the screen seem more like a window than a flat display. It's hard to explain without seeing it.

If you have glasses and can remember it, it's kind of like the first time you ever got them - you probably never noticed how much you were missing until you put them on and saw what everything should look like. It's very impressive when you see it in action though - it's a subtle effect that you really notice when it's not there.
No one has ever really answered my question; How many of you have actually played a 3D game? Or are you just saying "3D sucks!" based on 3D movies? 3D movies and 3D games are two entirely different 3D's, you can't switch them out interchangeably.

I've played a few rounds of WipeoutHD with my friend's 3D TV and it was pretty fun; stuff flying everywhere, particles in my face, a good sense of the depth of field, it was all around pretty good. It was a bit disorienting at first, but I did eventually get used to it even with the glasses over my glasses. It really is something you can't comment on unless you've actually played it.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Jumplion said:
I've played a few rounds of WipeoutHD with my friend's 3D TV and it was pretty fun; stuff flying everywhere, particles in my face, a good sense of the depth of field, it was all around pretty good. It was a bit disorienting at first, but I did eventually get used to it even with the glasses over my glasses. It really is something you can't comment on unless you've actually played it.
Any new tech (or stuff in life mostly) requires some readaptation much like motion controls.
The issue I see here is resisting a change for the sake of familiarity.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
All good and well for those who can make use of it...but, I hahrdly see how 3D will give anyone an edge...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I love this, every company coming out to tell us what is best.

"Motion controls are what hardcore gamers want! Trust us. It'll give you the edge online!"

Why do they think people will just go "Well if THEY say so it MUST be right".

They're wrong, and THEY know it.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Maybe not an advantage but definitely a fecking biblical migraine after an hour!!!

This is just Sony marketing BS, since they make consoles and 3D TV's.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
It's like they're literally just trying their hardest to find something to justify this gimmick.
Yes, yes it is.

Plus, the even if the advantage were real, the chronic headaches would get rid of the gamer inside of 2 hour, I reckon.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Practice and good reflexes would probably give a gamer a much greater advantage than a 3d televisions. But Sony can't find a way of selling that, so they are stuck trying to sell their new televisions.

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
I think Sony would say that 3dtv would give random spontaneous orgasms if they thought it would actually sell their units.
3d television in a first person shooter just seems like it'd be more disorienting than helpful honestly. Actually, on a personal level, I think that'd be appropriate for pretty much any game. Though playing fully immersive 3d tetris would be kinda badass, if...brief.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
no oneder said:
I don't think that a better tv can give you any advantage. If anything is worse! I can't imagine playing online AND in 3D.

I think we should all reduce our carbon footprint and play in a GameBoy Advence tv adaptor.
i second this... imagine playing halo on a gameboy screen that would be awsome

OT: how about we test this, pit a really good player with 2d against a good player with 3d and see what happens

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I can just about taste the desperation. They envision all of us wearing 3d glasses and gyrating like idiots in front of gimmicky motion games, which would be bad enough. Now they're trying to tell me that I'll play my FPS better because, you know, the missiles will be coming right at me!

Yeah.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Why's everyone writing it off as purely marketing so quickly, i think it makes a lot of sense. I mean it comes down to how well the 3D works. Depth perception would help me a lot in the games i play.

Sure noone's going to be buying their ridiculous 3D TV's anytime this decade, but they do make a point :p

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Gotta love how eveyone who has actually tried 3D games tell that it's actually a pretty neat effect while everyone bashing 3D at every turn have not, judging by how none of you talk about your horrible first-hand experiences. If someone would write a how-to book about not making yourself seem like a jackass, the first chapter would advise you not talk about things you don't know anything about.

I'm not really buying into what Sony is saying about 3D giving an edge in online, but 3D is most likely going to be a big thing someday soon, no matter how much you're scared of everything new.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
3D is only good for horror and furthermore that was complete crap. i think the picture on the screen will help us with distances if in 3D or not to the same degree. he's just trying to get us onto 3D to make more money. i say no. taking games into 3D will cause several years of developer adjustment resulting in worse games or longer development times. also i really dislike the glasses. not to mention the 1/10 who cant use 3D. i really wish they would ask gamers what they want rather than say you will want this when we dont.

so again 3D go away unless im playing/watching a horror game/film. i see no use for it elsewere.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jonsbax said:
Gotta love how eveyone who has actually tried 3D games tell that it's actually a pretty neat effect while everyone bashing 3D at every turn have not, judging by how none of you talk about your horrible first-hand experiences. If someone would write a how-to book about not making yourself seem like a jackass, the first chapter would advise you not talk about things you don't know anything about.

I'm not really buying into what Sony is saying about 3D giving an edge in online, but 3D is most likely going to be a big thing someday soon, no matter how much you're scared of everything new.
Nobody has yet to answer my stinking question!

How many of you have actually played a 3D game? Or are you just saying "3D sucks!" based on 3D movies? 3D movies and 3D games are two entirely different 3D's, you can't switch them out interchangeably.
Seriously, people just keep ignoring me and keep blabbing on about "3D gives people headaches!" and "I don't want the glasses!" and "It's just a stupid gimmick!" I doubt that most of them have played a 3D game and are just basing 3D games on 3D movies, which are two entirely different things (they even use different technologies for god's sake).

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Nah, I do not think so.
After all I play games to be detracted from real life in a 2D dimension in a game like The Void, not to be again in a 3D one in a game like COD4.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
3D for certain types of games is really awesome. Also, I fail to see what everyone in this thread seems to be making fun of, I was really impressed by how careful this "advertisement" by Sony is, I expected them to be hyping it to hell and back, but instead they're saying "it MIGHT have an impact in gameplay for certain genres and certain players depending on their skill level and perception". That's way more modest than I expected.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
JoshGod said:
3D is only good for horror and furthermore that was complete crap. i think the picture on the screen will help us with distances if in 3D or not to the same degree. he's just trying to get us onto 3D to make more money. i say no. taking games into 3D will cause several years of developer adjustment resulting in worse games or longer development times. also i really dislike the glasses. not to mention the 1/10 who cant use 3D. i really wish they would ask gamers what they want rather than say you will want this when we dont.

so again 3D go away unless im playing/watching a horror game/film. i see no use for it elsewere.
dude, 3d is already built into the coding of most new games anyway, since Nvidea's been planting seeds for a while now.
and 3d is good for other games, i agree that in increases immersion in racers (I'V TRIED IT). Not only does the 3d effect just make games more FUN, the glasses actually help block out some of the proriferal vision, meaning i get distracted by little things like pets less.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Well they'll say a lot of things to sell their really expensive product.