Sony Says 3D Can Give Gamers an Edge Online

Threesan

Mar 4, 2009
As a side note and correction to my earlier reference, the showing of L'arrivée du train (circa 1903) that may or may not have caused some alarm in the audience may have been shown in anaglyphic 3D (colored glasses).

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Eh, Sony has a tendency to spew out nonsense once in a while.

Didn't they say something once about PlayStation Move being a good idea?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I dunno, I think it'll balance out because the people with 2D screens won't have to worry about headaches and keeping the glasses on their face while maintaining comfort.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
mjc0961 said:
I dunno, I think it'll balance out because the people with 2D screens won't have to worry about headaches and keeping the glasses on their face while maintaining comfort.
Again

How many of you have actually played a 3D game? Or are you just saying "3D sucks!" based on 3D movies? 3D movies and 3D games are two entirely different 3D's, you can't switch them out interchangeably.
Nobody has answered my friggin' question yet! Nobody! For god's sake, hasn't anybody played an actual full-fledged 3D game used properly?

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Jumplion said:
How many of you have actually played a 3D game? Or are you just saying "3D sucks!" based on 3D movies? 3D movies and 3D games are two entirely different 3D's, you can't switch them out interchangeably.
Nobody has answered my friggin' question yet! Nobody! For god's sake, hasn't anybody played an actual full-fledged 3D game used properly?
Does playing Left 4 Dead in 3D on the PC count? I haven't used a Sony 3D tv though.

Oh, and this whole thing brings to mind a recent Penny Arcade strip:

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CanadianWolverine said:
Jumplion said:
Does playing Left 4 Dead in 3D on the PC count? I haven't used a Sony 3D tv though.

Oh, and this whole thing brings to mind a recent Penny Arcade strip:
Yeah, that's fine I guess. That stip sortof shows both ends to it; those who have seen it properly really like it and those who don't just ignore it. It's sort of the thing you have to see in order to understand it's capabilities.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
3D supposedly does help in certain situations. Like in a 3D platformer, you can more easily see if a character is actually under an object.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
nice PR, not like they are gonna come out and say 3D will change nothing for gamers :p

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'll probably get a 3D upgrade for my PC at about the same time as I get Blu-ray for it.

3D TV? Not for another 5-10 years, most likely.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
I actually demoed one of the sony 3dtvs at a friends house, his dad works for sony, its actually great, the active glasses dont give any eyestrain or colour desaturation, it just gives a far deeper view and field of vision, seriously guys, i thought it would be crap but dont knock it till u try it, i could definatly see myself having a far better gaming experience with one...

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
no oneder said:
I don't think that a better tv can give you any advantage. If anything is worse! I can't imagine playing online AND in 3D.

I think we should all reduce our carbon footprint and play in a GameBoy Advence tv adaptor.
Ok, but only if you give me a 1970 dodge challenger with the 440 six-pack engine and nitrous.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Well, this is complete bullshit. Maybe you will experience a better field of view but that would be it, with 3D objects distracting you and cluttering.

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
All this is basically saying is that depth perception can help people judge distances. This is true, and could possibly make a game like Mirror's Edge work a lot better.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Dommyboy said:
Well, this is complete bullshit. Maybe you will experience a better field of view but that would be it, with 3D objects distracting you and cluttering.
Persi said:
Is this gimmick ever going to end?

Because when I play a game online I like it to not lagg.
Nobody has yet to answer my god damn friggin' stinking question!

Seriously, have either of you played a 3D game or are you just basing that "This is bullshit!" and "This is a gimmick!" on 3D movies? The two don't even use the same 3D technology, you can't change them willy-nilly.