Sony Says Move is "Not Necessarily a Pre-Order Product"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Says Move is "Not Necessarily a Pre-Order Product"

PlayStation Move [http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1284047791&sr=1-1] is "not necessarily a pre-order product," according to Sony, and its promotional efforts will focus on the long-term future of the device rather than on driving day-one sales.

Move is only a week away, yet the hype and anticipation doesn't seem to be running particularly hot given the importance Sony has attached to it. Sony claims that's intentional; U.K. Marketing Manager Adam Boita told MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40790/750000-gets-PlayStation-Moving] that the company has avoided winding up the pre-release publicity machine in favor of preparing an advertising campaign that will debut when the system launches. Even more surprisingly, the focus won't be on game-specific media and retailers but will instead be aimed squarely at mass-market retailers, "lifestyle press promotions" and ads on popular television shows.

"It is about creating that massive event spike during the launch week, pushing it out to new audiences and continuing on last year's 'The Game Is Just The Start' campaign," Boita said. "Pre-orders are always important, but Move is not necessarily a pre-order product. It's not like World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Limited-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JF0Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1284047863&sr=1-2] expansions, where people want to get hold of it day one. It is an evergreen product. And whereas pre-orders are very important, it is not necessarily the key focus."

A big part of the campaign will be a 30-day tour of retail head offices and major shopping centers by a big truck designed to train staff on Move and other PlayStation products. "It is no small effort for us to get this 40-foot truck manned and around," Marketing Manager Richard Ives explained. "But we think it is invaluable and gets retail on board, not just with Move but also 3D, sowing the seeds of those new elements that are coming out in the future. It is about giving them an incentive to find out about the product themselves."

To some extent, the pre-release pre-apology has to be an effort to manage expectations and soften the blow of potentially less-than-stellar launch numbers. But it also made a lot of noise about playing the long game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88813-Sony-President-Says-Xbox-360-Lacks-Longevity] with the PlayStation 3, claims which were derisively dismissed early on but more recently have come to look a little less unreasonable. Will Sony show the same patience with Move as it did with the PS3?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Wait? It's a week away? I didn't know that. There's a difference between playing the long game and nobody knowing it's coming out. I mean I'm a PS3 fan who spends a lot of time catching up on gaming news. Granted I'm probably not going to buy it right away (I need to actually pay to get my PS3 fixed first), but I may at one point.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
seems to me like they're not getting a good response with pre-orders, interesting way to spin it in the PR fashion.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I didn't even realize it was coming out in a week.

I'm never going to buy it though. I have a wii, it was my first console this generation. There's a reason it is no longer my only console (it sucks). It was a cool novelty at first but overall I enjoyed gaming less with motion controls and I have no intention of buying a shitload of shovelware again to justify my questionable purchase.

I really hope gaming gets over the motion control fad. There are a few games where it works really well and using an IR pointer for shooters works fine and basically turns your console shooter into a PC shooter, but more often than not people just don't know how to use motion controls responsibly and end up fucking up their game. Flail wrist to do everything is the worst control scheme ever. Nope. I lied. Flail entire body to do everything is the worst control scheme ever (seriously Kinect is the worst idea ever, that is unless you wanted to make a minority report computer interface. But no its supposed to be a controller)

But anyway I digress. The wii sucks. Move sucks. Kinect sucks. 3D sucks. Video games don't suck but they will if they try to force these shitty peripherals on us.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, I for one wouldn't preorder it even if I had the cash to spare. I need to play it myself first, so that means either finding a buddy who buys one, having one set up to play in a store somewhere (although I'm not sure I'd want to touch that honestly), or getting one for free somehow.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Same as DJ Hero then.

Basically "we know we're piggybacking off the back of something popular and won't sell nearly as well, but eventually you will have a bit of money free and THEN! THEN YOU'LL BITE AND WE'LL HAVE YOUR MONEY!"

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
PlayStation 3 owner furrows brow, shrugs shoulders. Says: Well, at least they didn't refer to us as sweaty thirty year olds in Metallica shirts.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If they release Okami with HD graphics, tophies and Move support, I would certainly buy one of those damned things.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Hmm...I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. On one hand I feel that the marketing strategy(which is usually the smarter way) of going for the long-term is great. But on the other hand, they are essentially saying its not worth it at the moment, which isn't what you want to tell your audience...ever, when trying to sell a product. Hopefully it works out for them though. I have a lot of respect for Sony.

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
Hah, a week away my ass. UK gamers got it pushed back until freaking October, along with the new 320GB PS3s. So my birthday presents gonna be awfully late. It seems like their words contradict their actions. They make us wait longer to get more pre-orders. I don't care about the move, apart from the fact its holding back on me finally getting a PS3 \./ .

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looks like Sony is taking there sit back and wait apprioach. Which, does seem to have worked for them - Rather than the heavy hand approach MS take

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Even more surprisingly, the focus won't be on game-specific media and retailers but will instead be aimed squarely at mass-market retailers, "lifestyle press promotions" and ads on popular television shows.
Okay.. wait, what part of that marketing focus is surprising again?

While Move may be (arguably) more for the hardcore audience than Kinect is, how is it surprising that Sony's marketing focus is going to be more on the non-gamer or casual gamer? More dedicated gamers already know about the Move, what it can and can't do, and whether or not it appeals to them. They've likely already decided if they're going to buy it or not and there's not much reason to market to them, particularly in this initial push to get the Move widespread recognition.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The Move looks like an interesting piece of tech, and most likely I will be getting it. Obviously not right away, but I can imagine sometime in the future.

So far the "sit and wait" approach has worked for Sony so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing worked for here.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Personally, excited as I am about it, I'm waiting for a few to hear the buzz on release... see what games folks like and dislike at the launch. THEN I'm getting myself the Move and the better amongst the games, and playing the crap outta it.