Sony Says the "M" Words About PSN Again: Monthly Fees

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sony Says the "M" Words About PSN Again: Monthly Fees

Fanboys, warm up your internet rage engines: Sony technical platform boss Masayuki Chatani has become another voice indicating that the console's online service may be getting subscription fees sooner rather than later.

Speaking with Nikkei Japan [http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/HONSHI/20091126/178049/?P=1], Chatani admitted that the company would face difficulties if it remained 100% committed to providing a free service to its customers: "Servers and the like have running costs, and we would face difficulties if our business depended solely on the sell-and-forget model."

Though Chatani said that he expected to see an increase in their digital business, he indicated that the company was also looking at charging a subscription fee for premium PSN content, echoing sentiments from a Sony investor presentation last month [http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/info/strategy/pdf/200911presen.pdf].

"We can also accept payment in a growing number of ways. In addition to single-payment packaged software, there are also schemes like monthly fees or per-item charges. I think this variety of payment methods will bring about a diverse range of playing methods, too."

There you have it, folks - yet another Word-of-God confirmation that PSN will be charging cash for extra bonus goodies. Still, it's not as bad as it could have been - when rumors first broke last month, Kaz Hirai [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96224-PSN-to-Get-Premium-Subscriptions] was quick to step in and caution that the subscriptions would be for premium content, and online gaming would still be free of charge.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=229543])

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Oh man I was hoping that those ideas would die, I still have to pay for live and I don't think I could pay for both

hansari

May 31, 2009
So long as this premium content doesn't hinder actual gameplay enjoyment.

I would hate to become a walking target for someone who decided to pay an extra few bucks for perks, special weapons, etc...

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Its fine. The guy said that playing online would be free. So unless you're into buying loads of things from the PSN, then I don't see a major problem

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Dudeakoff said:
What the hell is 'premium' content?
The same stuff you need a gold account to get on XBLA likley- shiny new demo's, exsclusive wallpapers, etc.

Whenever a new demo or a new game comes out on XBLA, alot of times you need a gold account to download it for the first few weeks.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Oh boy, stay away from the charcoal people. The flames are gonna fly high on this one.

But seriously, as long as I can play games for free, I'm fine.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Dudeakoff said:
Special access to their booth-babes webcam.

(this one [http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/647/saphire_booth_babe_1.jpg]wants to talk to you about an exciting new video card)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
hansari said:
So long as this premium content doesn't hinder actual gameplay enjoyment.

I would hate to become a walking target for someone who decided to pay an extra few bucks for perks, special weapons, etc...
This really, I'm cool with some sort of a payment plan, as long as money doesn't give you an advantage in gaming.

But whatever they mean with premium content, as long as I can actually game online for free I'm happy. I can wait for demo's, don't need wallpapers and all that jazz.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Kaz Hirai says many things, so you should just go ahead and assume the worst, that Sony has once again lured you in with the promises of free only to bend you over later. "Premium Content" is the most ambiguous bullshit phrase possible when it comes to online services. at least Microsoft had the good graces to explain before the 360 came out what the Silver and Gold levels of XBL membership would require.

However if they continue to provide the ability to play online for free well that'll be one gold star for them I guess.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
bloodmage2 said:
hehehe, snrrk, mehheheh. times like this make me glad i ditched consoles like a drunken friend who betrayed me the night before, and is now living in a ditch, while my new friend the PC is here to stay.
Same here. At least stuff here will stay the same. Or the feared INTERNET PETITIONS will return! But seriously, i agree. The pc will always me my main platform.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Doesn't impact me in the slightest, since I don't own a PS3. Let's just hope making everything subscription based isn't a trend PC developers decide they should adopt.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Dudeakoff said:
The same stuff you need a gold account to get on XBLA likley- shiny new demo's, exsclusive wallpapers, etc.

Whenever a new demo or a new game comes out on XBLA, alot of times you need a gold account to download it for the first few weeks.
Paying for demos? That's almost as bad as paying for the avatar clothes on the 360.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Dudeakoff said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Dudeakoff said:

Paying for demos? That's almost as bad as paying for the avatar clothes on the 360.
I have never paid for a demo. Timed exclusivity is different from actually paying for it. And there's enough basic avatar clothing to never need to actually buy any unless you really want to and even then it's dirt cheap. This is my personal experience speaking and your mileage may vary. I don't necessarily agree with them charging for the avatar stuff either but there's lots of places online that do that so it's hard to fault them alone.