Sony Selling Waterproof MP3 Player Inside Bottles of Water

lukesparow

Jan 20, 2014
Now that is a very cool strategy! Even if it's been done before, that doesn't take away any of the novelty if you ask me.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Inspired by this, I think I'll go and sell my fireproof pants in the mouth of a volcano.

Show off much, sony?

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
This just in - I'm in a pool posting this with my phone. Which is waterproof. And is also really hard to type on.

.>....
Ok, maybe I lied and I am infact inside because it's pitch black outside, but the point still stands!

Anyway, jokes aside, this seems like a cool thing and an amusing way to sell it, but I think 4 GBs is alright depending on how much these things cost. If they are above 100, I'd say a big fat no to them. There's a difference between having an MP3 with 4 GBs, which is ok, and charging $200 for said MP3, which is not.

In other news, waterproofing is actually becoming really cool now-a-days. My phone (Xperia Z1) is actually really good and generally fast overall, but the waterproofing is what really amazes me. I've pulled off more than a few pranks on my mates with things like betting to see how much they'll pay me to throw my phone in a bucket of water or pretending to drop it into something. The phone actually works underwater and the speakers sound really cool.

I remember when waterproofing meant it spilt and water kinda sat in the case after your first dive and from then on when you put the speakers on you just got a faint buzz of static. Oh, shitty waterproofing, you really were not nostalgic in any way, shape, or form.

Ninja_Face

Aug 11, 2011
putowtin said:
LittleMikey said:
My question is who carries around $100 in coins to buy one of these things :/
We have a winner! I was wondering who'd be the first to notice this!
And imagine been next in line in the queue for the vending machine... all you want is a bottle of water and theres some guy pumping in all the loose change he has for a mp3 player!
Uh, you can pay at the vending machine with a credit card; in the video the card slot is the black square just above the keypad. :/

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Looks cool. 4 gig is more then enough. It's not meant as a storage of your entire collection. Rather just playlists for working out. And even then... filling 4 gig with audio files equals a very long play time. To bad i mainly use spotify. I wonder if you can use spotify on this thing but I doubt it very much. Not legally anyways...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Strazdas said:
Lots of complaining
This specific MP3 is designed for people who do go swimming or biking, etc in places with a hell of a lot of water. Looking at the thing it says up to 8 hours playback and a quick charge will have you going for an hour? Shit, i'm ok with that. Also, 4gb is plenty enough. I'm an IT professional and that's all my memory stick needs. If I want to take a lot of data i'll take my External HDD but for most basic troubleshooting applications, you'll be able to store all of the ones you will reasonably need on a 4gb.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
So, you're saying I can finally swim in my pool while listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ) ?

Well, there's one of the things I've always wanted to do.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I have to throw myself in with the group of people seeing 4gb as a okay amount of space. LONG time ago I had an MP3 that had only 1GB. Yes, only 1GB. Been awhile but I think it could handle somewhere close to 120 songs (maybe 130ish). Let's say that each song was about 2-3:30 minutes average. Course I had some classical scores that were 5+, but to make it easy math around 300+ minutes of music. I guess that's not alot compared to what can fit on phones and what not, but it was enough. But to hear the remarks at 4GB makes people come across as spoiled. How much music is enough? 80 hours? 300? This device seems to be waterproof, I'm guessing the trade off is the reduced capacity. For what they propose; a swimmer's work out you'd think that's just fine. No doubt it will be utilized outside those parameters, but should people want more space there are other better products.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Imagine having a waterproofed 20-35gb player that could accept Flac quality music, that shit would be amazing when priced at least £50.

But I guess that opinion is going to be overruled via the 4gb being universally accepted as the norm ergo I can't have nice things.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Dogstile said:
Strazdas said:
Lots of complaining
This specific MP3 is designed for people who do go swimming or biking, etc in places with a hell of a lot of water. Looking at the thing it says up to 8 hours playback and a quick charge will have you going for an hour? Shit, i'm ok with that. Also, 4gb is plenty enough. I'm an IT professional and that's all my memory stick needs. If I want to take a lot of data i'll take my External HDD but for most basic troubleshooting applications, you'll be able to store all of the ones you will reasonably need on a 4gb.
Being designed for swimmers is no excuse for it having poor storage.
We are talking about music, not application storage, so your ImA does not apply here at all.

If we limit ourselves to 320kbps mp3s we got ~10MB per song (2.4MB per minute). Thats barely scratching 400 songs and in reality will be less due to how storage is calculated and the OS of the player.
And carrying your external HDD in your pocket to listen to music isnt really ideal now is it.

Isra

May 7, 2013
4GB in 192kbps mp3's is more than most people's entire music collection. That's like 800 songs at 3.5 minutes each.
I can only store 800 songs?!..?! NOT WORTH IT.

Great idea in New Zealand but they better not try this shit in America. Some fatass moron on his first day in the gym will undoubtedly work himself into a blind, desperate exhaustion, slam a fistful of money into the vending machine and punch the code in for the first bottle of water he sees, rip the cap off, gulp it down, choke half to death on the MP3 player and promptly sue Sony for 5 billion dollars.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
TIL that theres a market for mp3 players that work under water that can afford to sustain an expensive product.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Haha, neat PR stunt.

It's not like this is new though, speedo had something like this already (link [http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Aquabeat-Waterproof-Player-Black/dp/B00172TUFQ]), as did many other swimwear retailers.

I could see why some would use this kind of thing, but personally I actually prefer the quiet while swimming. We're constantly hammered by sounds from all around, it's a nice change of pace.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
It sure looks neat but there are other (much cheaper) waterproof MP3 players out there than seem to be small enough so they can be attached to swimming goggles. I can't say anything about the quality though. The amazon ratings of most look okay, I guess.

I'm still uncertain whether I should try one of the cheaper ones. However, I'm only swimming rather casually (once a week) and don't even use swimming goggles (at least for me chlored water isn't THAT bad when the dosage is right).

marioandsonic said:
So, you're saying I can finally swim in my pool while listening to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ) ?

Well, there's one of the things I've always wanted to do.
Good choice but I think you'd also want this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdvDKuJE8Q] on it to motivate you.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Great. Now I can scuba-dive with Led Zeppelin.

Just how safe is that water for drinking, though? I know the MP3 is waterproof, but is that water MP3proof?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Eerr is the water drinkable with the mp3 inside it or would anyone dared to?

Now if only make durable earphone cable since the cable on my earphone tend to break near the plug on a yearly basis!

Kyrdra

May 19, 2013
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Imagine having a waterproofed 20-35gb player that could accept Flac quality music, that shit would be amazing when priced at least £50.

But I guess that opinion is going to be overruled via the 4gb being universally accepted as the norm ergo I can't have nice things.

There is a mp3 player that can do that without being waterproof? I never kept an eye on the mp3 player market but that sounds interesting

but complettely unrelated:
Why the fuck does the US has no 8gb option? Germany and the UK have an 8bg option for 20 more of their respective currency but the US has no option