Sony Sells Oodles of PS4s on Best Black Friday in "Company's History"

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Gorfias said:
Escapist published it. It was a marketing guy wrote that, whoever wins Gen 7, there will not be a Gen 8. He was wrong. There will even be a Gen 9: it just will not look like this. My bet: a streaming service. Amazon vs. Netflix vs. Samsung vs.... who knows.
thats a bad bet to take. streaming service will never work (see: OnLive). this is because of input lag created by having to calculate the world outside of local enviroment. this creates lag between when you input things to when they show up. even assuming ideal conditions thats going to be jarring and very enraging to play with. is there a solution to that? one. it requires us to transfer data at faster than the speed of light. good luck with that.

Gorfias said:
Around 2000, 15 years ago, I thought the concept of even standard def. streaming would always be impractical. In 2006, Circuit City (RIP) assured me cable would never be able to steam more than 1080i. TV would never be capable of greater than 1080P. Around 2010, I asked why the heck I would ever need an Android (Smart) Smart Phone. About 18 months ago, I saw a curved, 4K, OLED TV for $10K @ Bestbuy. Now I'm seeing them for about $3K (I want one!). It's been a number of years since I tried OnLive on a slow, Android tablet, and it was very good. If Gen 8 run 7 years, what the heck will game streaming be like by then? I think it is coming.
Circuit City were idiots. In 2006 i had a 300mbps connection that could stream 1080p without problem already. Heck, youtube level (horrible) compression would take only 10 mbps connection to stream, most of the world already had that in 2006. just because an idiot said it was impossible when it was actually possible does not mean that anything is possible.

ravenshrike said:
Cable companies are STILL compressing their 1080p signals and it sure as fuck ain't lossless. The idea that they're going to have the bandwidth for 4k signals beyond a test channel or 5 anytime within the next decade is fucking hilarious. Now satellite could do it, if they wanted to quintuple their bandwidth.
you dont need lossless quality, though. sadly, most people dont give a fuck about quality.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Strazdas said:
Mind you, this was in 2011:

I experienced it myself and it seemed pretty good (course, a gamer I know swears by 1080P 144 hz. This would not have been even close to acceptable for him.) I tried this and I tried Sony TV to extend my PS4 experience to a 2nd TV. Sony was unplayable. Even 5 years ago, Onlive was playable, at least from my limited experience. EDIT: And 1 year after I threw my Sony TV out a window, I tried Windows 10 streaming functionality to the XB1: acceptable.

If not this, and not games in our giant 4K TVs (one at bestbuy this weekend has an 8 core processor. It can happen). I have to think Gen 9 will be here (Next Nintendo really Gen 8.2) Already, I can't wait to see it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Gorfias said:
Strazdas said:
Mind you, this was in 2011:

I experienced it myself and it seemed pretty good (course, a gamer I know swears by 1080P 144 hz. This would not have been even close to acceptable for him.) I tried this and I tried Sony TV to extend my PS4 experience to a 2nd TV. Sony was unplayable. Even 5 years ago, Onlive was playable, at least from my limited experience. EDIT: And 1 year after I threw my Sony TV out a window, I tried Windows 10 streaming functionality to the XB1: acceptable.

If not this, and not games in our giant 4K TVs (one at bestbuy this weekend has an 8 core processor. It can happen). I have to think Gen 9 will be here (Next Nintendo really Gen 8.2) Already, I can't wait to see it.
sorry, i cannot listen to the sound right now and the video itself is just him showing the thing and talking, but i am familiar with OnLive.

Like i said, input lag alone makes it unplayable for most games. Though your friend remark is probably due to horrible video compression OnLive used which resulted in image quality incomparable to the actual game. That is understandable to a point, since to send uncompressed 1080p video at 60 fps would require you to have over 300mbps connection, so only those new 1gigabit folks can really do that. though considering how current consoles perform now perhaps a more accurate comparison would be 720p @ 15 fps.

Also windows 10 streaming was actually made so you could stream XB1 to windows. why would you want to stream from windows to XB1? Unless your the kind of person that thinks running a cable to his TV is impossible and simply has to use inferior display device.

Streaming for videogames will never really become a thing unless we solve the latency issue. and like i said, to do that we need to find a way to transfer data at higher speed than light. so far all efforts here would be unsuccessful, though if we are ever to explore space we would need to find this technology, so maybe someday.

That 8 core processor in that 4K TV is running post-procession and its 8 cores because it needs to render 4K resolution effects. gamers that know what they are doing turns off that post-processing anyway since it introduces massive input lag. which is fine for TV watching but renders games unplayable. Most TVs automatically recognize consoles and turn it off nowadays anyway. Yeah, slamming a console hardware inside a TV may be the 9th gen of couch gaming. Amazon has plans to do something like that for example. Sony even has their own TV line so they could easily adapt to this. The problem with that is that will limit how powerful the hardware you can put unless you expect users to start buying bulky TVs again, and thin hardware is expensive. Its why consoles and laptops have external PSUs, making PSUs fit inside is possible, but its just too expensive. Of course maybe in 10 years if microsoft is to be believed (i personally dont) we may have ways to minimize form factor cheaper.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
I remember reading some article where someone was saying that this would be the last generation of consoles and that they would sell less than the previous generation. I remember thinking that person was an idiot.
That person was an idiot because...? You didn't think this would be the last generation of consoles or because you knew that Wii's success could easily be replicated?

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:
I remember reading some article where someone was saying that this would be the last generation of consoles and that they would sell less than the previous generation. I remember thinking that person was an idiot.
That person was an idiot because...? You didn't think this would be the last generation of consoles or because you knew that Wii's success could easily be replicated?
I knew he was an idiot because the gaming market is bigger than ever and there is no reason to believe that a bigger market with only three console is going to sell less than a previous generation, let alone be the last generation. The whole thing felt like some "streaming games will take over" thing when so far streaming has been a bust.

It was obvious when it was written and it is obvious today.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:
I knew he was an idiot because the gaming market is bigger than ever and there is no reason to believe that a bigger market with only three console is going to sell less than a previous generation, let alone be the last generation. The whole thing felt like some "streaming games will take over" thing when so far streaming has been a bust.

The mobile market is huge and makes up a big part of the gaming market today. PC is also becoming bigger and with consoles becoming weak PC's, I didn't have alot of hope for them either. I think even Sony was surprised but the response to the PS4. Guess they were idiots too.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/20/even-sony-doesnt-know-why-ps4-is-selling-so-well/

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:

The mobile market is huge and makes up a big part of the gaming market today. PC is also becoming bigger and with consoles becoming weak PC's, I didn't have alot of hope for them either. I think even Sony was surprised but the response to the PS4. Guess they were idiots too.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/20/even-sony-doesnt-know-why-ps4-is-selling-so-well/
That was in response to the console selling better than any console in Sony's history. He may not have known but I think we can guess as gamers, and the better hardware coupled with the terrible launch of the Xbone is what lead to those high sales.

The big mobile market took nothing away from consoles. Neither did the PC. What are you even trying to argue? That it was likely that the consoles were not going to sell well? That seems so far fetched to me.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Amir Kondori said:
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:

That was in response to the console selling better than any console in Sony's history. He may not have known but I think we can guess as gamers, and the better hardware coupled with the terrible launch of the Xbone is what lead to those high sales.

The big mobile market took nothing away from consoles. Neither did the PC. What are you even trying to argue? That it was likely that the consoles were not going to sell well? That seems so far fetched to me.
I am trying to argue that calling people idiots for predicting the opposite of how things went is never a good idea. If things had gone the other way, would you be here telling us that you were the idiot?

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:
WeepingAngels said:
Amir Kondori said:

I am trying to argue that calling people idiots for predicting the opposite of how things went is never a good idea. If things had gone the other way, would you be here telling us that you were the idiot?
Yes. Here is why the author of that article was an idiot. There was an entire history of the gaming market growing and growing and console sales overall in aggregate growing. Never the reverse happening. This guy somehow thinks that increased internet and smart phone usage is going to somehow completely reverse that trend in one cycle. There was zero evidence that would happen and a lot of evidence the reverse would be true, as has been borne out so far.

Of course it was likely a clickbait type of article that the author knew was BS but got people to click on the article.