Sony Servers Infiltrated Abroad, Twice

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
So these Hackers, some of them calling themselves Hacktevists, what are they trying to accomplish? Other than being criminals and making the lives of the common man jsut a little more annoying?

I don't know if this is anon or not, but I mean if these people "fighting" Sony has any agenda, what the hell is it? And how do they think vandalism will achieve that?

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Jumplion said:
That doesn't give these hackers a free pass to steal 70+ million customers their personal information and potentially credicards, along with several other thousand from other sites. I don't care how big of an asshole the company is, you don't attack victim to deter the bully. These attacks, if truly to "teach Sony a lesson", are the worst form of teaching I've seen in a while.
I haven't heard of a majority of those 70 million having their credit cards or personal information used, though. The only inconvienience most of them had was having to change their password and having PSN be down for a bit. Sony are the ones that felt the brunt of the attacks, having their credibility and wallet take a hit and having to be in a position to earn trust back from consumers. The attack was effective in the endgame.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
So is like the cool thing to do now?

Because if it is these people need to get a life and stop.
I don't find it cool at all. If THEY do, then it's time to see the sun again.
Agreed. But I'd imagine it's been a long time since they've seen the sun, if they remember what it is, and might burst into flames.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
cardinalwiggles said:
i always understood it as if you target the user's then the user's wise up and sony has to pay the brunt of it. the PSN attack got users details but it also cost sony a hell of alot in costs and trying to win their user's trust back with free games, not to mention the lost sales.
That can be easily accomplished without stealing a single iota of personal data. Just do the exact same thing the hackers/crackers/whatever did, except leave the customer's data alone. Continue to do so, if need be, to prove your point.

these continued attacks are probably just to kick the company while it's down to show incompetence accross the board.
You know, there have been so many claims of Sony didn't update their servers, Sony ran up to date servers, Sony stored the info in plaintext, Sony encrypted their data, that I really don't care anymore. It's either incompetence on Sony's part, of extreme-competence on the hackers part, and I really don't know which is scarier.

perhaps show some sort of contempt from sony to their customers data. i wouldn't be surprised if the data isn't used for anything. it will cost sony alot more than it would cost the consumer.
Yes, the millions of user data now online will not hurt the consumer at all.

I can't believe that these hackers/crackers are doing this just to show "contempt" for Sony. If they truly wanted to stick the point to Sony, they wouldn't have stolen a single bit of information. Instead, they decided to steal from 70+ million people. That's some pretty screwed up way to get people on your side.

theres a point and a limit to these attacks and to be fair they need to end now with a statement. saying that it's over. we need confirmation otherwise continued attacks could be anyone. besides it's just a banner that hackers have gathered under, it will die down and be "uncool" soon enough.
What kind of "statement" could they make? "Yes, we are rallying against Sony's mistreatment of consumer rights by stealing said consumer's private secured information! That will show them!"

i for one am sad that this is the type of way that gets people's attention
Again, I would be more supportive of these hackers/crackers if they had not stolen a single bit of personal info. That would show restraint, that would show altruism. As it stands, they are assholes of the highest caliber. If they wanted to get attention like this, I don't think the personal data would have been needed.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
FalloutJack said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Agreed. But I'd imagine it's been a long time since they've seen the sun, if they remember what it is, and might burst into flames.
Thereby proving once again that Twilight is a load of crap.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
FalloutJack said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Thereby proving once again that Twilight is a load of crap.
So it is written, so shall it be known.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
chronobreak said:
I haven't heard of a majority of those 70 million having their credit cards or personal information used, though. The only inconvienience most of them had was having to change their password and having PSN be down for a bit.
If so, then stealing said information would have been totally pointless. They wouldn't have taken that info if they didn't have the intention of using it. And even if they are never used, then why steal it in the first place?

Sony are the ones that felt the brunt of the attacks, having their credibility and wallet take a hit and having to be in a position to earn trust back from consumers. The attack was effective in the endgame.
The belief that the hackers did all of this just to prove a point is moot considering that they could have been just as effective without stealing a single bit of info. Like I said, continue the attacks, make it cost Sony too much to ignore these issues, but don't steal anything. I think it'd make for a much better plan to slap Sony some sense.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Apart from the lack of coolness, I'm worried that once they've had a go at hacking every single thing Sony has ever published someone will get the bright idea to put another company in the spotlight.

Although I'm hopeful that the obvious other targets (Microsoft) have been secretly taking a crudload of steps in preparation for the guy with that bright idea

Jumplion said:
You know, there have been so many claims of Sony didn't update their servers, Sony ran up to date servers, Sony stored the info in plaintext, Sony encrypted their data, that I really don't care anymore. It's either incompetence on Sony's part, of extreme-competence on the hackers part, and I really don't know which is scarier.
It's probably neither. This is occurring to such an extent now that it's probably just nothing is particularly safe to very interested hackers and now Sony seems to get the attention of hackers from every corner of the globe, every single thing that can be attacked will be attacked.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HankMan said:
This is true, but I don't think the ones who hacked Sony were doing it "for the people" any more than I think people like Geohots jail-broke the PS3 to steal personal information from PSN accounts. It's not a direct 'cause and effect' or 'action-reaction' thing I'm getting at. It's more like 'Six degrees of Keven Bacon'.
(this is really weird to read all this with Beiber staring at me on everyone's avatar....)

GeoHotz is a complicated case. On the one hand, I don't think there was any problem with him hacking his hardware, but then he distributed the security root key software to bypass everything. Whether he had good intentions or not is kind of overshadowed by the damage he did to his cause by releasing private, secured information that, in all likelyhood, GeoHotz had no right to distribute.

If that is the case with these hackers, then they've got a helluvah conspiracy.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Jumplion said:
If so, then stealing said information would have been totally pointless. They wouldn't have taken that info if they didn't have the intention of using it. And even if they are never used, then why steal it in the first place?
It wasn't pointless if their "point" was doing damage to Sony.
The belief that the hackers did all of this just to prove a point is moot considering that they could have been just as effective without stealing a single bit of info. Like I said, continue the attacks, make it cost Sony too much to ignore these issues, but don't steal anything. I think it'd make for a much better plan to slap Sony some sense.
Well, that's all well and good, it's just that this is the way they chose to go about it. Maybe there was a better way, but they didn't implement it. Maybe they will in the future, who knows what kind of other plans they have? They certainly did slap some sense into Sony, with relativly little "civilian" damage, if in fact I am right in asserting that most people have not had tons of fruadulent charges on their accounts, something that could also change if they have the intention of using the credit card info in ill will.

I just don't know if they could have been effective without doing what they did, because it didn't happen that way.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Are you serious? Are you gorram kidding me!? Dear god, I'm not even a ps3 owner, but sony's customers deserve far better! A good security system does not get invaded this much. Shape up Sony, dammit!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
chronobreak said:
Well, that's all well and good, it's just that this is the way they chose to go about it. Maybe there was a better way, but they didn't implement it. Maybe they will in the future, who knows what kind of other plans they have? They certainly did slap some sense into Sony, with relativly little "civilian" damage, if in fact I am right in asserting that most people have not had tons of fruadulent charges on their accounts, something that could also change if they have the intention of using the credit card info in ill will.

I just don't know if they could have been effective without doing what they did, because it didn't happen that way.
Giving the hackers the benefit of the doubt, what would they have accomplished by doing all this? Damaging Sony's reputation? Pft, could easily do that without hacking a huge network or something without the effort of hacking all that.

All of this hoopla has probably set back consumer rights, homebrew, and any other sort of freedom with any of Sony's future products a few years. This only reinforces Sony's, and indeed many company's, restrictive EULAs/ToS/whateverthefucktheymakeussign. What company would want to let their consumers "run wild" (from their perspective) on their system when they're just going to cause trouble with it?

Maybe some other company will take it the way that you would love, by going "Hrm, Sony did this and this and this, and it pissed people off, so let's not do this and this and this!" But even then, black-hat hackers would have no morals about this. They take the easiest target, so no matter what they do it's going to be hacked one way or another, whether open or restricted. Might as well make it harder for them.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Jumplion said:
That can be easily accomplished without stealing a single iota of personal data. Just do the exact same thing the hackers/crackers/whatever did, except leave the customer's data alone. Continue to do so, if need be, to prove your point.
You are aware it's entirely possible the hackers did exactly that, right? All we know is that they could have stolen customer data if they wanted. Without that potential threat, Sony doesn't have to shut down PSN and they don't lose as much money and reputation. Your posts confuse me.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
HankMan said:
This is EXACTLY what I'm on about: It's not about intentions it's about the natural progression of things. Geohotz wouldn't have tried to jailbreak the PS3 if Sony hadn't locked away all those features to begin with. There's no conspiracy at all (at least not in THIS case)
.>
Eh, I still say there are better ways to get the attention of a large corporation that GeoHotz could have easily done. He had no right to distribute Sony's security root key, that is, you know, secured information. How he could have proven his point better, I don't know, though I doubt paving the way for more crap to happen doesn't help your cause.

And I also know what your talking about with the Bieber thing. Try re-orientating yourself by looking at your friend avatar list, it doesn't effect that.
Here's a fun game, read everything in the voice of Beiber. Everything becomes 100x funnier.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
sunburst313 said:
Jumplion said:
You are aware it's entirely possible the hackers did exactly that, right? All we know is that they could have stolen customer data if they wanted. Without that potential threat, Sony doesn't have to shut down PSN and they don't lose as much money and reputation. Your posts confuse me.
There is no reason to think that the hackers didn't steal any info, otherwise Sony would be causing more damage for no reason by lying. If they didn't, Sony would still probably shut down the service, still costing them millions of dollars, and still tarnishing some of their reputation. Same thing with every other site Sony has that is getting hacked.

AMX58

Jan 27, 2010
come on now really people get a life why the hell you wanna do this in the first place