Sony Shows Off New Horizon: Zero Dawn Gameplay, But it Won't Support Native 4K on PS4 Pro

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sony Shows Off New Horizon: Zero Dawn Gameplay, But it Won't Support Native 4K on PS4 Pro

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1348/1348075.jpgThere's some new gameplay footage for Horizon: Zero Dawn that was shown off at yesterday's PlayStation Meeting.

Yesterday, Sony held a PlayStation Meeting in New York, where they showed off the PS4 Pro [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168346-PS4-Slim-Out-Next-week]. As part of that meeting, they also showed off some new gameplay footage from upcoming Guerrilla Games action title Horizon: Zero Dawn.

The footage features main character Aloy stalking a huge dinosaur-like robot. She stealthily takes out a smaller robot, then scales the larger robot in the style of Shadow of the Colossus. Once she gets to the top, she rewires the creature before rappelling to the ground.

The game looks gorgeous, although Art Director Jan-Bart Van Beek did reveal that Horizon: Zero Dawn will not be natively rendered in 4K. He did say that the final game would be "so close" to native 4K that most people would not be able to tell the difference.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is set to launch for PlayStation 4 on February 28 of 2017.

[gallery=6467]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Did... did she just reveal a portion of the map by climbing a vantage point, albeit an ambulatory one, then jumping off in dramatic fashion?

I'm getting unwelcome Ubisoft flackbacks.

Cuuuuurse you Ubisoft, you're polluting other potentially good games!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Seeing as I don't have a 4K TV, I don't give two shits about it not being 4K.

Still excited for the game though.

Looks super bitchin'. :D

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am definitely looking forward to this game. But I have to say: Do people honestly expect the updated PS4 to render anything in native 4K? That is a ridiculous expectation of that is so. I mean, we only just got video cards that are able to do it and have a reasonable frame rate. Given the choice, I would take 1080 at 60fps over 4K at 30fps any day of the week.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
This game looks amazing, but the hair physics bother me a bit. Anyway, hopefully history repeats itself and I'll be able to play this in 2026 with a hand me down PS4.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Of course it won't do native 4K, the PS4 Pro doesn't have the horsepower for that unless your game has PS2 level graphics. Best case scenario for the PS4 is the game will render at 1440p or thereabouts and get upscaled to 4K if you have a 4K TV. 1080p will probably stay at 30FPS because devs are lazy and they'll just throw some extra anti-aliasing in to use up the extra GPU horsepower.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
He did say that the final game would be "so close" to native 4K that most people would not be able to tell the difference.
So hopefully that means that it will at least reach 1080p60fps...

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
None of these triple A games will be native 4K. That includes games on the Scorpio. These new consoles will likely be rendering at 1440p then upscaled to 4K. LOL at anyone who thinks we'd get 4K triple A games.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
ffronw said:
He did say that the final game would be "so close" to native 4K that most people would not be able to tell the difference.
Most people don't have a 4K display, so of course they won't be able to tell the difference. They might be able to tell the difference if it's allowed to go above 30fps, but as others have noted that's sadly unlikely.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Honestly I don?t care about 4k.
More interesting to me would be if the game will run at 60FPS in 1080p on a PS4 Pro.
60 FPS might be more of a reason to get a PS4 Pro to me than resolution upscale to 4k.

Let?s be honest: Only low demanding games will run native 4k.
Demanding games will stay below the native resolution and use some scaling tricks to save performance. We saw this with 180p already: Many games run 900p and upscale.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
In a few months, the PS4 Pro will release. And buyers will be disappointed because they have been deceived. Just as those who bought the PS4 are now disappointed with the few games that run in 1080p / 60fps. This is deception. This merits a trial.