Sony Still Losing Money on PS3

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
JWAN said:
No, that's logic. Just because your system is shiny, and you have a large following of fanboys does not mean you can raise the price to some ridiculous amount and drip in big name titles at a snails pace. Even the fanboys know its a shit deal. (most of them)
Well this is news to me. I didn't know the PS3 was so expensive merely because it's 'shiny'. I thought it had something to do with the parts inside the system. I don't claim to know anything though.

Also, I was under the assumption that whilst the console is expensive, the game has a great number of exclusive titles that justifies the price tag in the long run. Some may find this to be unlogical, but I believe it's the same as buying a more expensive car for greater overall comfort and satisfaction.

As for snails pace big names, I for one like to buy the odd game that's going to last me a long period of time as opposed to spending vast amounts of money on a large number of mediocre games, which has been the case on other systems over owned over the years, so I'm guessing this is matter of opinion also.

TailsRodrigez

Nov 13, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Well thats... dedication I guess. I wonder if Microsoft ever continually lost money on their 360.
all consoles that i have looked at (minus the wii and gamecube) lose money on console sales and make it up on the games, they usually go lowering the loss per sale

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
JWAN said:
They lost profits for awhile (they still might be loosing profits yet) But by leaps and bounds the PS3 is the farthest one in the tank.
That is disappointing. It seems rather petty for them both to lose money by repeatedly trying to one-up and undercut the other. Just standard business I suppose.

Perhaps in future generations I'll just dump money into a good PC and modify it to also play console games.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
You guys realise that almost all of Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony's profits come from their games not selling the consoles, right?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Damn.

Playstation bashing rears it's ugly head once more.
It's sad too, I was getting use to it being gone.

I don't think they realize that even though Sony may loose money on consoles, they make up for it with games, accessories, and other paraphernalia.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Damn.

I know, right?

Someone get a newspaper for these bashers. We need to knock some sense into the community..... once again.

Irishhoodlum said:
You guys realise that almost all of Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony's profits come from their games not selling the consoles, right?
Nah, for people here to come to that conclusion, they'd have to not be retarded. A bit too much to expect from the average console bashing poster. <<

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Pendragon9 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Damn.

I know, right?

Someone get a newspaper for these bashers. We need to knock some sense into the community..... once again.
Sadly it's mostly the idiots from Gamespot and Gametrailers who joined for Yahtzee that are doing it. Just ignore their constant justification of the console mummy bought them and the hard on they have for a white plastic box and take comfort in the fact that they desperatly need to convince you it's the best. Which just shows they're insecure and feel threatened by the PS3, and maybe unhappy of their purchase.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Wow PS3 bashing is abundant in this one...

This is probably because Sony doesn't sell you a bare bones console which needs you to go and buy extremely overpriced add-ons and pay for an online service with awful P2P servers, ads and twelve year olds.

At least they've made up for it in software sales.
so you counter that with 360 bashing?

Surely someone at Sony thought.. Hmm if we stick all the "supposed" top of the range hardware in our console, then we will have to stick a high price tag on it which will ultimately deter people from buying it....

I loved the PS2, I was very anti Xbox but when it came down to it I wasn?t prepared to pay out nearly 200 Great British Pounds more for a PS3 when I could have a perfectly acceptable Xbox 360 which is I paid £150 for and is still running strong nearly 3 years later.

i would like a ps3 very much so, but when there cheap enough i will have one.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
It's better for the industry if it survives since then there'd be a competition between the 360 and PS3 (the Wii has found new markets and is owning them, I expect Nintendo is wallpapering their entire buildings with money every week).

Guess it shows that you can't just put top-of-the-line hardware in a plastic case and expect to turn a profit.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
The whole idea of selling them at a loss is to help push their Blu-Ray format and seize market share. Besides, given they profit off every game sold for a PS3, you realize that unless someone buys the PS3 for only one or two games, it's still a net profit on every PS3 sold.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:

This is probably because Sony doesn't sell you a bare bones console which needs you to go and buy extremely overpriced add-ons and pay for an online service with awful P2P servers, ads and twelve year olds.

Surely someone at Sony thought.. Hmm if we stick all the "supposed" top of the range hardware in our console, then we will have to stick a high price tag on it which will ultimately deter people from buying it....

I loved the PS2, I was very anti Xbox but when it came down to it I wasn?t prepared to pay out nearly 200 Great British Pounds more for a PS3 when I could have a perfectly acceptable Xbox 360 which is I paid £150 for and is still running strong nearly 3 years later.

Does Microsoft sell you a barebones console which you must spend another £150-200 on to actually make it do what it says it does? Which are also overpriced to fuck (Hint: You can buy a 500gb hard drive for the price they sell you goddamn 20gb hard drive)? Are they also cheap enough to make you pay for an online service littered with ads, full of screaming twelve year olds and laggy player to player servers on most of its exclusives which allow a maximum of twelve players?

Yes

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
360 fanboys have immigrated to this topic like an infection.
'very suprising.....'

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
silverbullet1989 said:
BaldursBananaSoap said:

Does Microsoft sell you a barebones console which you must spend another £150-200 on to actually make it do what it says it does? Which are also overpriced to fuck (Hint: You can buy a 500gb hard drive for the price they sell you goddamn 20gb hard drive)? Are they also cheap enough to make you pay for an online service littered with ads, full of screaming twelve year olds and laggy player to player servers on most of its exclusives which allow a maximum of twelve players?

Yes
lol i think its funny that u have to slag the 360 off to make ya self feel better, seriously your no better then the people bashing the ps3. hmmmm i got a 60gb hdd with mine, a head set, a memory card, 2 controllers... think the only thing ive paid extra for was the online service which i fail to spot these ads that you keep going on about. Yes i dont like having to pay for the online service, but i think i can stretch to £0.67 pence a week for it. I only talk to my friends on it so the screaming twelve year olds dont bother me.... and yes there is lag, as a pc gamer i was use to dedi servers, and i cant stand the p2p service on it. see how i can bash the 360 even tho i own one :O

bloob

Feb 10, 2008
Asehujiko said:
VitusPrime said:
Surely one would cut there losses by now and bin the ps?
Then other consoles can get some of there good games ^^
Well we learn with great power comes a big price tag...
What great power? It's RAM is outdated by 2001 standards, the GPU was mid range in 2004 and the CPU only looks good until you realize it doesn't support multithreading and 5 of the cores are only there to look pretty on the fact sheets so it ends up being a P4 with an inflated ego.
If the PS3 is so poor then why is the US air force buying 2200 of them to modernise a super computer? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96596-Air-Force-Orders-2-200-PlayStation-3s

farmerboy219

Feb 22, 2009
I don't see how this is a problem, yes they are losing money but doesn't that show how dedicated they are to the consumer, people really shouldn't complain. Also look at it this way, if it botherd sony that much they would have done something about it by now.