Sony Still Thinks the Vita is Doing Well

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
android88 said:
The Vita is only out in one country and looking at the release line-up, it's more western focused so it may release to the west and sell well.
But here's the billion dollar question, do people care? Are people lining up for a handheld Uncharted and handheld modern warfare games? On top of that, are these games people want bad enough to buy yet another ~$300 handheld when it launches?

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
I think Sony it closing their eyes, putting their hands over their ears and shouting "LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALA!"

Either that or they have some sort of secret weapon in development that will completely dominate the entire entertainment industry, in which case this goes from denial, to just them playing it really cool.

Either way, I have no plans on getting a vita.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
android88 said:
Oh, and I heard rumors that Persona 4 will be coming to the Vita.
http://p-atlus.jp/p4g/

Uhh... that rumor's been confirmed for months and months...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Persona 4, Katamari, Gravity Rush, Littlebigplanet.

Yeah I'm getting a Vita.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
If I were Sony, I would have held back release data until the North American version came out.
I can't help but think the disappointing Japanese performance (which I personally lay squarely at the feet of Monster Hunter 3DS) will have a distinct chilling effect on North American sales. Nobody wants to buy into a platform that seems doomed to sink at any moment.

Colinmac93

Mar 20, 2011
I tried the Vita yesterday. In all honesty, it just felt like it was doing stuff that all other consoles are able to do better. It's quite an underwhelming console.
That, and because the selection of games for it right now are pretty pants.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"PR rep talks firmly out of ass to save face! ~ HEADLINE NEWS!"

For a company with as much pull in the industry as Sony, this is pretty abysmal.
Though I'm sure it won't kill the Vita; this is Sony, they've been losing shitloads of money on as of late (how about that near-dead 3D-TV market, eh?).

They'll just plow ahead somehow.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Grey Carter said:
Assuming the Vita's sales don't pick up, I think I'm just going to save myself a trip to the online thesaurus and just start making up words. Next week's sales are going to be "terribad."
Terribad has been a commonly used word for a long time.
Anyway this is just marketing 101. You dont just come right out and say "OH NOES! OUR PRODUCT IS A FAILURE. EVERYONE ABANDON SHIP!" unless you are actually trying to go bankrupt.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
So... what *is* the Vita?

Is it a new generation of PSP or is it something completely different?

Is it like the Nintendo DS vs. Nintendo 3DS, for example?

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
I think the fact that my mind went : "wait is that out already"

says enough for why the hell it didn't sell well

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Ive enjoyed some casual gaming on my old PSP and played around...20 games.
But really are there any good games coming out for PSvita? You need bad-ass games that will push people to buy the thing.

Also its a bad economy. People rather hold on to their $. . . especially if their old PSPs can still provide entertainement. And then u have to think about PS3, XBOX360 and Steam (Desktop)

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
I guess they have to keep up this positive attitude.

Its not like they can go out and say 'Sales have been extremely underwhelming and we are bitterly disappointed'. That defeatist attitude would have terrible consequences.

Its just them keeping optimistic. It also provides entertainment for the public XD

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Oh Vita will pick up alright. All Sony needs to do is to make games only for the Vita system.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Didn't the PS3 make a loss for the first 3 years of its lifetime? Has that taught industry analysts nothing about Sony's business model?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I got to play the Vita at Best Buy the other day, some game where you had to use the rear touch pad to make the ground rise and have some ball move around a level. Little Deviants I think was the title.

I was completely underwhelmed and the gameplay felt like a gimmick, like the first time you used the Wiimote and couldn't get the feel of it.

I don't know but I had money to burn and there wasn't any way I was going to spend it on a Vita after that.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Of course they are going to say that. What sort of company is going to kill any hope of consumer confidence by hitting the panic button out the gate?

See the problem that the sales are low is because 250-350$ before required peripherals like proprietary memory cards is a large chunk of money for people in an unstable economy now considering the practical usage of the device is better suited to sporadic and intermittent usage. I am not going to sink 300-400$ into a device I use sitting in doctors offices, on lunch breaks, connected to car stereo etc. Its simply not practical or cost effective.

I know it does more than just games. If I wanted music playback, an MP3 player costs 15$, If I need access wifi , and it is actually open and available? Id rather utilize a laptop where I dont have to squint at a microscopic screen that cannot even fit all the page elements in, and not have to worry about little nagging issues like inability to understand or render flash. If I want a system that can play games, music, videos, read books, display images, access internet connectivity, I personally would rather drop 150$ on something like a caanoo and not have to deal with incessant needless patching and an overbearing corporation trying to dictate how I use the device, but respect most people would do almost the same and make an economical driven decision by choosing a smartphone that isnt iBranded to service those needs.

If Sony would open the device to allow users to use it how they wish, like overwriting the OS in favor of Linux, I would gladly drop 400$ on it in a second. But we all know Sony isnt going to do that a second time because they are terrified people might actually do it. Its hard to sell your service when people eliminate the software you created and replace it with something you cant control.

Honestly, there is a degree of lost practicality with dealing with a device that is supposedly as powerful as a PS3, but better suited for smaller less involved gameplay experiences. It has always seemed like a confliction of a gamers interest.Really who wants to play a 10 hour game on a 5 inch screen and in essence connected with a cord to a supply of power to keep the battery charged, or constantly having to break for recharging. And a device that is that niche oriented simply cannot justify a price tag that large. The market simply will not bear it, Sony will cave and drop the price to try to move units, so software can be sold or the device will flop like the GO.