Sony Sued Over PS3-Destroying Firmware 3.0

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
manaman said:
VincentX3 said:
Serves them right. They could "at least" test the firmwire update to see if it works.
A small company, with limited resources I can see them not fully testing an update.

Sony I am sure tested the crap out of that update. Not everyone has the same version of firmware they are updating from, the problem may lie in the fact that someone is updating from a very old version, rather then the tested newer version. They may not have tested with all the programs a user is likely to have. They may not have also tested with every single version of every component part they used. I am sure that this mammoth sized company at least did normal testing.
i'm not totally sure how the firmware updates but as far as i can tell, it doesn't matter the older version you have, ie it's not incremental, so the whatever version of firmware you have doesn't matter when you do an update. i'd like to see the issue with those being affected, it could have been some odd chipset or something that caused it or maybe even some mod the person did to the board, which i think would make it funnier

i don't think this case will go too far

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Well the update did make my PS3 act funny too. I'm too scared to turn it on and play now.
>.<

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Trotgar said:
manaman said:
VincentX3 said:
Serves them right. They could "at least" test the firmwire update to see if it works.
A small company, with limited resources I can see them not fully testing an update.
Uhh... a small company? And of course they have limited resources, who doesn't?
Did you read the next paragraph? Where Sony was listed as a mammoth sized company? I would think not as you took just the first line and commented on it. I was saying I could see a small company having problems with actually testing. Sony however I am sure did test the update and it must have passed or it would not be released. There is no way the update would be just released. Anyone at Sony could see how stupid that would be. As for as limited resources go, yeah if you want to take it literal everyone has limited resources, but I was trying to make a comparison against a buisness with a 3 man team to crank out software versus Sony.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Naturalized said:
Wait what?

This is the first I've ever heard of it.
Same here my system updated fine zero issues but I never owned Uncharted but it's the "One" game I ever heard had an issue after the update. but freezing happened before for me but only rarely on certain games with alot of effects/loading like inFAMOUS or Fallout 3.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
All of these consoles and their firmware updates offering "cool, new, awesome things" are truly just attempts to stop pirating. As soon as someone hacks a system, an update is released to try to stop them. It's honestly a waste of time and effort, and screw-ups like this tend to happen, which make the whole and larger waste of time and effort.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
manaman said:
Trotgar said:
manaman said:
VincentX3 said:
Uhh... a small company? And of course they have limited resources, who doesn't?
Did you read the next paragraph? Where Sony was listed as a mammoth sized company? I would think not as you took just the first line and commented on it. I was saying I could see a small company having problems with actually testing. Sony however I am sure did test the update and it must have passed or it would not be released. There is no way the update would be just released. Anyone at Sony could see how stupid that would be. As for as limited resources go, yeah if you want to take it literal everyone has limited resources, but I was trying to make a comparison against a buisness with a 3 man team to crank out software versus Sony.
Ok, but it could've well been sarcasm. And I'm sure they tested it, it would be utterly stupid to not to.

And the resource thing was kind of a joke. And Sony is, of course, a rich company.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
cleverlymadeup said:
manaman said:
i'm not totally sure how the firmware updates but as far as i can tell, it doesn't matter the older version you have, ie it's not incremental, so the whatever version of firmware you have doesn't matter when you do an update. i'd like to see the issue with those being affected, it could have been some odd chipset or something that caused it or maybe even some mod the person did to the board, which i think would make it funnier

i don't think this case will go too far
Not usually no, it does not matter on things if the previous firmware updates where done. That does not mean it is always the case.

I am betting that they have made slight revisions to most of the components over time, and that this major overhaul is having some conflicts with various older versions of some of the components in the older PS3's.

I am off the opinion that a person should be able to modify the hardware they own as they see fit. The fact that this update was forced on the people without their consent would mean that if the update did brick the PS3's with modifications then it should still be Sony's responsibility to fix it. If the customer had the choice then it would not be Sony's fault if they went ahead with the update and ruined their PS3.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Considering I bought a PS3 two weeks ago I am now a bit afraid to hook it up to the internet.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Hm... My Ps3 lost it's online-capabilities from the last firmware update. Which sucks, since then I can't even download any patches for it...

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
Spirultima said:
Hm, well at least i can take this as it not being worse then the RRoD, but on a less fanboy note, Sony made a mistake, as long as they fix it, i won't lose too much respect for Sony.
It totally is worse right now though. Microsoft at least admits to the RRoD and replaces your xbox for free when it happens. My best friend has a ps3, he just had to pay $80 plus shipping ot get this problem fixed when it happened. That's fucking awful to charge your customer for your mistake.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I didn't find too many problems with my 3.0 yeah sure a lot of things changed but I can still play games and such nothing changed from what I normally do.

EDIT: though PSP update 6.0 was a very good one if I do say so myself and its close followup (only adding SensMe) was a nice little addition

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Woodsey said:
Spirultima said:
Hm, well at least i can take this as it not being worse then the RRoD, but on a less fanboy note, Sony made a mistake, as long as they fix it, i won't lose too much respect for Sony.
To be fair to Sony, they released a fix for it pretty quick (like you said). To be unfair to Sony, they should of tested it beforehand and this is their fault.

Surely this is an equivalent to the RRoD (ignoring the ridiculous failure rate)? I mean, these are both complete hardware failures.

I'm sure they've got enough money in the piggy-bank to settle this over without too much damage though.
I'm sure they do test them. You have to keep in mind that a bad update won't always destroy EVERY console. It's possible the update had no affect on the PS3's they tested.