Sony Sued Over PS3-Destroying Firmware 3.0

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Thats odd. My brother, and a few of his friends, got the update but they haven't experienced any problems with their PS3. Odd...

Anyways, I'm sure that Sony will do whatever they need to do to get the lawsuit over and done with.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Because there's a difference between buying a Warranty to cover ordinary wear and tear, and a company putting out a piece of software that your system is required to run in order to operate to spec, and having said software brick your system.

Especially when said software just jumbles the icons on your XMB and changes the sound and logo when you turn on the machine. It is a fair expectation that such things should not create a situation where your system might be rendered inoperable, and that the company responsible for both the hardware, and the software, should not charge the customer for the privilege of undoing their own mistake.

That said, my system handled it just fine, and is running smoothly. So I have no complaints.

But if it -did- brick, and Sony said 'It'll cost you' that'd be a quickly escalated conversation, as failure to install said update would then be followed with them shutting off advertised features. Which means said update is required for the system to operate as specified on the box, which means that failing to install it means that they aren't providing the full service advertised.

And no, it doesn't matter what it says in the manual, as that is not a part of the contract of sale.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
well i don't know about any of the other reported 'problems' and the 'irreversible damage' but my controller did stop working once or twice. Easy solution to that problem, turn the controller off and then on again, because the Playstation button still works.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
First Wii had an update that bricked the console, now PS3? It's a proud day to own an Xbox 360! Oh wait, does that mean we're next? Oh, crap.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Arbitrary Cidin said:
First Wii had an update that bricked the console, now PS3? It's a proud day to own an Xbox 360! Oh wait, does that mean we're next? Oh, crap.
Naah, 360 gamers have had this for years. It's just Sony and Nintendo proving their own personal fans once again, and allowing the PC elitists the chance to be pricks :)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
RobCoxxy said:
PS3 fanboys whose main argument against 360 is the RROD, feel ashamed now.
Yes, because a slight malfunction in a firmware update that causes problems probably less than half a percent is comparable to reports of the RRoD affecting 30-50% of all consoles.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
Simalacrum said:
first an update for the Wii destroys consoles, now firmware 3.1 is doing so too? Blimey, suddenly this whole 'system update' business is looking rather risky!
Serves them right for trying to be PC's ha ha. But seriously this is bad news for those people who have lost their slab, I would be crazy pissed if this happened to me.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
All I have to say is...
[HEADING=2]Bwahahahaha![/HEADING]

Sony Suckage Force strikes again
A shitty season for Sony goes from bad to worse
Playstation users get a taste of what it's like being an XBox users
This whole thing proves once again that consoles have strayed too close to being personal computers
And once again, Release-Then-Fix-It quality control reminds people why some gamers like me won't shell out even $300 for a damn console
Once again; comparing a problem that affects probably less than half a percent of all PS3 users to a problem that has reports of affecting 30%-50% of it's own users? I'm not denying that this is happening, hell this seems to happen every other firmware update, but methinks you're a tad blowing it out of proportion.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
Hmm... I know nothing about warranty law but it seems to me, that if a company makes an update mandatory they should be required to guarantee that it will not damage equipment in any way.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Really? Xbox 360 has around half of its machines RRODing and Sony gets sued?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
MacDonaldFin said:
Simalacrum said:
first an update for the Wii destroys consoles, now firmware 3.1 is doing so too? Blimey, suddenly this whole 'system update' business is looking rather risky!
Im not turning my 360 on now -_-
Looks like you 360 guys got the whole "console destroying error" our of the way on release.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Sebenko said:
MacDonaldFin said:
Simalacrum said:
Im not turning my 360 on now -_-
Looks like you 360 guys got the whole "console destroying error" our of the way on release.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, still can't be too safe though eh?

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
RobCoxxy said:
yes cause there has been so many reported cases of this compared to the RROD that the 360 still is plagued with

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
my internet connection is so crap that i don't even bother with downloading the firmware updates, I just install them manually from the latest game that comes out which for me will probably be Brutal Legend in about a week or so.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
RobCoxxy said:
yes cause there has been so many reported cases of this compared to the RROD that the 360 still is plagued with
True dat, but we don't download RROD. :)

hbomb

Dec 3, 2007
ForgottenPr0digy said:
So no one sued Nintendo when their fireware update was killing their machine.

Bunch hypocrites
Are you sure that's not the updates designed to brick /chipped/ Wii's?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I think the people suing are crying way too much.

Nobody is suing Nintendo over the firmware that destroys Wiis. I'm sure if Sony fixes the broken PS3's, this lawsuit will blow over.

And please don't say "ooh, they're dicks, they'll never do it." It's happened before.