Sony Sued Over PS3-Destroying Firmware 3.0

swaswj

Oct 11, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
Ewwww. Sony SHOULD be paying for their busted consoles. As I recall, Microsoft did. Sheesh. I totally support these guys in their lawsuit.
I think people are forgetting that Microsoft held off for nearly an entire year before admitting that the RROD problem existed on a grand scale, and not until there was a rather sizable class-action lawsuit forming. Microsoft released several statements that the hardware failures were "well within" industry standards and that the problem only affected a handful of users.

Since any large business has an entrenched bureaucracy that must be penetrated before mass decisions can take effect, the simple fact is that Sony cannot, at the drop of a hat, declare that the repairs will be free on affected consoles. When they are able to make such an announcement, it is likely that customers who went through with repairs before that point will be reimbursed, similarly to what happened with 360 users.

Right now we have a situation where we know that only a handful of users are affected (compared to the total PS3 owners), and this lawsuit has formed within a couple weeks of the firmware update, after an initial fix was already rendered.

So, why is this lawsuit launching so swiftly, when compared to the 8-10 months it took for a class-action lawsuit to form against Microsoft -- a much richer, domestic company -- for the RROD -- which affected a far greater number of users? I would suspect that it's similar to the unknown companies that were launching patent lawsuits against Nintendo and Sony (but not Microsoft), where it was found out that those unknown companies -- with their obscure patents -- had been acquired by Microsoft for seemingly the sole purpose of tying their rivals up in said lawsuits.

Despite the rapid influx of new information that the internet allows us, it seems as if most people have a selective or otherwise short memory for things that have happened in recent history.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
The Rockerfly said:
JWAN said:
The Rockerfly said:
Wait, what right does this company have to sue Sony?
Sony fucked their reputation on a massive level

they have every right
Yeah but this particular company, how has Sony effected this company then any other?
Because this company was responsible for the technology and Sony was going to use it, Sony fucked it up though (however they did it) now that particular company's image is stained because of Sony.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
While I understand the lawsuit

It seems like the internet is just trying to find a RROD for the Ps3. I mean first the Yellow light now this?

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
swaswj said:
RobCoxxy said:
Ewwww. Sony SHOULD be paying for their busted consoles. As I recall, Microsoft did. Sheesh. I totally support these guys in their lawsuit.
I think people are forgetting that Microsoft held off for nearly an entire year before admitting that the RROD problem existed on a grand scale, and not until there was a rather sizable class-action lawsuit forming. Microsoft released several statements that the hardware failures were "well within" industry standards and that the problem only affected a handful of users.

Since any large business has an entrenched bureaucracy that must be penetrated before mass decisions can take effect, the simple fact is that Sony cannot, at the drop of a hat, declare that the repairs will be free on affected consoles. When they are able to make such an announcement, it is likely that customers who went through with repairs before that point will be reimbursed, similarly to what happened with 360 users.

Right now we have a situation where we know that only a handful of users are affected (compared to the total PS3 owners), and this lawsuit has formed within a couple weeks of the firmware update, after an initial fix was already rendered.

So, why is this lawsuit launching so swiftly, when compared to the 8-10 months it took for a class-action lawsuit to form against Microsoft -- a much richer, domestic company -- for the RROD -- which affected a far greater number of users? I would suspect that it's similar to the unknown companies that were launching patent lawsuits against Nintendo and Sony (but not Microsoft), where it was found out that those unknown companies -- with their obscure patents -- had been acquired by Microsoft for seemingly the sole purpose of tying their rivals up in said lawsuits.

Despite the rapid influx of new information that the internet allows us, it seems as if most people have a selective or otherwise short memory for things that have happened in recent history.
ZOMG It's microsoft's fault! The lawsuit against microsoft must have been from Sony and Nintendo too!!! Alternatively it is just a bunch of disgruntled customers with access to lawyers that want money, no need for conspiracy theories about companies committing subterfuge.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
wierd... I download 3.0 right when it came out.. I've had no problems with it, and the new sparkly theme makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

Jokes aside, I guess I just got lucky, cuz my PS3 is working fine.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
First I had to fear my Wii bricking and now my PS3? What's next? My X-box gonna get the RROD?

I should have bought an extended warranty for everything. My gosh, the fear I live in.

The Fear.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
I like the idea that somebody is finally "trying" to do something but sony will win again.

I think the ps3 and xbox have a nice little scam going making the consoles break every few years so you gotta pay to get it fixed.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
I view this issue the same way I view the RROD issue.

As long as the company 1. Acknowledges the problem, 2. Accepts responsibility, and 3. goes above and beyond out of it's way to make everything as right as possible I hold no grudge.

Sony seems to have resolved the issue and is handling it instead of ignoring it.
Filing a class action suit this soon after the problem arose just amounts to petty crying over spilt milk and illustrates our society's trigger finger when it comes to frivolous lawsuits to make a quick buck, perpetuated by greedy lawyers.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
I apoligize in advance if I am wrong about this. My lawyer speak is not very good.

TERMS OF SERVICE AND USER AGREEMENT [http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements/13]

10. MAINTENANCE AND UPGRADES

From time to time, it may become necessary for SCEA to provide certain content or services to you to ensure that PSN, your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system or other SCEA-authorized hardware is functioning properly in accordance with SCEA guidelines. Some content or services may be provided automatically without notice when you sign into PSN. Such content or service may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system, or other SCEA-authorized hardware. Access or use to any system software is subject to terms and conditions of a separate end user license agreement found at http://www.us.Playstation.com/termsofuse. You authorize SCEA to provide such content and services and agree that SCEA shall not be liable for any damages arising from provision of such content or services or maintenance services. It is recommended that you regularly back up any data located on the hard disk that is of a type that can be backed up.
I would normally adhere to this but when more than a hundred PS3s break due to an update Sony did they should be repaired free of charge.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I had Frimware 3.0 and I didn't have any problems.

I have 3.01 now. Still no problems.

swaswj

Oct 11, 2009
hypothetical fact said:
ZOMG It's microsoft's fault! The lawsuit against microsoft must have been from Sony and Nintendo too!!! Alternatively it is just a bunch of disgruntled customers with access to lawyers that want money, no need for conspiracy theories about companies committing subterfuge.
I wouldn't consider it a conspiracy theory when there's precedent (it's been done before by Microsoft toward Sony, Nintendo, and Apple, and been done by the others in return, to a lesser extent).

I'm also not saying it's the only possibility. It simply strikes me as likely, considering the timing.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Simalacrum said:
first an update for the Wii destroys consoles, now firmware 3.1 is doing so too? Blimey, suddenly this whole 'system update' business is looking rather risky!
I was thinking the same thing, but with conspiracy stuff put in every now and then.