Sony Talks "Possibilities" of PlayStation 3 Backwards Compatibility

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Talks "Possibilities" of PlayStation 3 Backwards Compatibility

A PlayStation 3 [http://www.sony.com].

A report on PlayStation Network [http://kotaku.com/355645/is-playstation-3-backwards-compatibility-dead-maybe-not]Director Eric Lempell said a return to backwards compatibility could yet happen. "We haven't talked about that yet," Lempell said in the interview, "but there are possibilities through technology and software emulation to make that possible."

Lempell said the company had no "specific plans" regarding the future of compatibility, but in the same interview, Sony Computer Entertainment Senior Vice President Peter Dille mirrored Lempell comments, saying backwards compatibility is "important to us."

Early versions of the PlayStation 3 offered hardware-based PlayStation 2 support via the Emotion Engine [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotion_Engine]CPU, but the European, Australian and Korean systems, as well as the newer 80GB model in North America, were produced without the chip, relying on less effective software emulation instead. The 40GB version of the console eliminated PlayStation 2 compatibility entirely.

The full article will appear in the next edition of EGM, which will be on shelves soon.

RWDY

Feb 25, 2008
DO. WANT.

Honestly, no matter how unlikely, I want this to happen, I don't want to have to buy a PS2 to finally catch up to the series I missed out on so much, like Ratchet.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
What the...I just assumed it was backwards compatible automatically. That's like building a Death Star without the planet kill laser.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
RWDY said:
DO. WANT.

Honestly, no matter how unlikely, I want this to happen, I don't want to have to buy a PS2 to finally catch up to the series I missed out on so much, like Ratchet.
You mean a separate console? Because you'll need a PS2, be it inside, or outside.

L.B. Jeffries said:
What the...I just assumed it was backwards compatible automatically. That's like building a Death Star without the planet kill laser.
The oomph laser is already in. It's called the CELL.

Pro

- Not having to find room for both a PS2 and a PS3 next to your TV.
- Possibly less noisy disc reader.

Con

- If the Emotion Engine CPU burns, you send the whole machine back.
- Increases the price of the PS3, while there's been more than 116 million PS2 sold worldwide. Feel the redundancy.

Slow Bob

Mar 12, 2008
Unfortunelty I have a piece of hardware at home that causes read problem. It's called Girlfriend. No matter how i try to explain it, and I know this sounds sad but this is a fact of getting old enough not to live in college dorms and too young not to have a den, I'm only allowed one "game box" in the living room. So no way can I swing having a PS3 and a Ps2 (and the PS One is already boxed).

Come on Sony if you want to hit the (slightly) older market like you did with the PS2, you need to give back the backwards compatability. And I mean full compatability not just software emulation. You're hardly helping me pursuade the misses that the PS3 is a nice new shiny toy to brightn the living room!

conor_strife

Mar 12, 2008
i have a 60 GB ps3 and its fully compatible still don't understand why they took it out in the newer models

its still great fun to go back to a classic ps1 game and play it shame about needing to start all the files again 9 i could get a ps1/2 memory card reader but i cba ) :p

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Yeah, the key to selling a new console is compatibility, and without it you're gonna have hell from the customers. Why'd I sell my PS2 to help me buy the PS3 when I can't play my old games? Exactly.

marco75

Feb 15, 2008
Another reason that backwards-compatibility for PS3 is important:
There are hardly any games out for it. The PS2 is fully backwards compatible, AND has a biggest library of any console. I'm still waiting for SF4 and the HD Remix to come out, and while I'm not 100% decided on PS3 VS 360, I wouldn't want to buy a PS3 without PS2 support.

Yes, I own a PS1 and PS2. The PS1 (my third) is about to die, I keep it around for Point Blank and Time Crisis. (I don't think the Namco Gun works on PS2/3) The reason I keep buying Sony consoles is because I have a huge pile of controllers and games for it, and the damn disk drives keep dying on me, so I keep playing the old model to destruction and then upgrade to the next.

I don't think one little chip significantly adds to the cost of the system, but if it did, why not simply produce a "deluxe" unit that costs a bit more? Throw in a HDD Loader for PS1/PS2 and take a bite out of the pirate market while you are at it. I'd love to play PS2 games without loading times.

X nosgoth X

Dec 24, 2007
It was one of the few plus points I could think of for this console (not trying to start a flamewar here, just an opinion)

I hope that, if they make it happen through emulation, they do a better job than Microsoft. My old Xbox is only still standing there to properly play the first and second Halo games and Silent Hill.

xeall

Feb 4, 2008
unfortunately i jumped the gun and bought a jap ps3 as they are region free. however the ps2 games aren't. so i can play some stuff we never got like naruto shippudden and berserk in loverly upscaledness but my 200 odd ps2 collection is looking mighty dusty. Now i still have my slim ps2 but it looks crap no matter what lead you use on an HD TV. I have recently tried to look for the emulation software on ps-shop but it no long seems to exist.

I have RPG's still sealed at this point and i would like my PS2 back please. that or create a wire that stops making ps2s look crap.