Sony Taps Homeland Security Head For Cyber Security Gig

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Sony Taps Homeland Security Head For Cyber Security Gig

For the past two and a half years, Philip Reitinger has been protecting America against hackers. Can he do the same for Sony?

Unless you've been living under a particularly well-insulated rock, you're likely heard of the issues Sony has had over the past year in keeping its virtual pants from falling down. In late April the firm's published the personal info they swiped [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] on the 'net.

Likewise, May and June were a swirling tornado of online security woes for the gaming giant. The Japan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110608-Sony-Website-Hacked-By-the-Lulz-Boat] were also targeted.

Sony, it seems, has had enough of this, and is bringing in the big guns. Specifically, Philip Reitinger, a cyber security expert who has worked for Microsoft and who spent the last two years as Deputy Under Secretary for the National Protection and Programs Directorate at the US Department of Homeland Security, as well as the Director of the National Cybersecurity Center. In short, that means Reitinger was responsible for overseeing America's technological defense systems and protecting our country from the theoretical hordes of foreign hackers that the DHS assures me do exist, somewhere.

Sony's official announcement offers a succinct explanation for what Reitinger will be doing here in the civilian sector:

As Sony Group's top information security executive, Reitinger will be responsible for assuring the security of Sony's information assets and services. He will oversee information security, privacy and internet safety across the company, coordinating closely with key headquarters groups and working in partnership with the information security community to bring the best ideas and approaches to Sony. Reitinger will report to Nicole Seligman, Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Corporate Executive Officer, Sony Corporation.

I suppose this is where I exhale sharply and proceed to rain on Sony's parade. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Mr. Reitinger did phenomenal work at the DHS, and will continue to do so in his new position, but the problem is not who Sony has manning the ramparts. The problem, in sum, is that the hackers who've made sport of hunting Sony collectively have an infinite amount of free time.

No security system, in either meatspace or cyberspace, is ever completely secure, and given enough determination and time, these hackers will continue to defeat whatever walls Sony puts in front of them. Unless Mr. Reitinger swiped some Majestic 12-level firewall tech on his last day with government access, he's got a massive job in front of him.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
*obligatory joke about wrapping Sony's servers in duct tape*

Let's hope that he shuts the barn door better than they did.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Sony is doing this to try and gain back confidence. It'll be funny when the hackers take out some other Sony branch next week. Perhaps Sony needs to start using OpenBSD and AES-256. Clearly, their unpatched Apache servers and plain text transfers aren't working out so hot.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
if you can make the system tuff enough so that the guy next to you, i.e. Microsoft, looks like an easier target, they're more likely to leave you alone and go for them.

If someone is determined, there is no stopping him.

But if you're up against your weekend hacker with time and no motive making it a hassle might make them look else where. Its like those security lug nuts on your car tires. so long as the guy that parks next to you doesn't have them, chances are better they'll steal his tires over yours XD

Low Key

May 7, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
if you can make the system tuff enough so that the guy next to you, i.e. Microsoft, looks like an easier target, they're more likely to leave you alone and go for them.

If someone is determined, there is no stopping him.

But if you're up against your weekend hacker with time and no motive making it a hassle might make them look else where. Its like those security lug nuts on your car tires. so long as the guy that parks next to you doesn't have them, chances are better they'll steal his tires over yours XD
Xbox Live has been compromised though. Hackers are just making an example out of Sony for whatever reason. Probably because they had no security to begin with, plus they pissed off all of the hackers by taking away Linux support. Don't underestimate how much a nerd values his Gentoo.

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
the fact is that sony lost a lot of customers due to the downtime, so I'd guess that there won't be any huge attacks on it for some time. Sony's competition should watch out tho...

chinlamp

Mar 10, 2009
Shouldn't it be 'over the last half a year' rather than 'the last year'? Saying it's been a year makes it sound like Sony hasn't been having as much trouble as they really have by making it seem like it was far more spread out.

chinlamp

Mar 10, 2009
ciasteczkowyp said:
the fact is that sony lost a lot of customers due to the downtime, so I'd guess that there won't be any huge attacks on it for some time. Sony's competition should watch out tho...
Actually, I'm pretty sure Sony came out and said recently that they're doing better now than they were before the hacking started.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
LoL...under this guy, there were more leaks in two years than there had been in the entire history of the country. Without him, Wikileaks would be an unknown website with a handful of articles. Sony security isn't great, but DHS makes Sony security seem invincible by comparison. He is one of those people who will not allow security experts to test security because he is afraid it will expose security holes. After all, it isn't like illicit hackers could ever find the same holes, right?

If this guy is anything more than a figure head to make people feel safe giving credit card information to Sony, then expect the PSN to be down for 1-2 months at a time at least 6 times a year. He will probably decide that the firewall isn't good enough, and that they are better off without one.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure they only hired this guy for PR reasons. I also get the feeling that this will just instigate the hackers and make Sony a much bigger target, now that it has finally died down.