Sony Threatens to Ban PS3 Hackers Forever

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It'll be interesting as soon as they get their first false-positive.
That thing about 1 in a 1000 being a horrible accuracy rate? :(

OT: In the firmware hacking I support the hackers all the way. 'Tis a little thing called freedom and I know you can't have much of it these days, I kinda like it.

As for "Just put up with it" "Its sony's blah blah to do with what they want"... I have a brick. I shall do what I want with it. Like throw it at windows. before you get sad though, don't worry, I attached a Licensing agreement stating that by allowing my brick through your window, all legal blame passed on to you and not me.

And because I feel too serious right now: Candy Unicorn Muffins for everyone!

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Why even warn people about this? Just go ahead and ban, don't make a public statement about it... Unless this is just one of those "Don't do that or I'll really really hurt you" warnings that end up with you doing absolutely nothing because you're afraid of actually losing the current clientèle, even if it includes pirates, because you need to sell that hardware.

A ban without warning is the best kind of ban.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Giantpanda602 said:
MercurySteam said:
And while Sony threatens pirates, Microsoft has already banned a million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96037-Microsoft-Bans-up-to-One-Million-Xbox-Live-Accounts] in one go.

Pick up the pace Sony, PSN needs cleaning.
The only reason Microsoft has already had to ban a million people is because a million people have hacked there crap system.
Thank you for establishing yourself as a PS3 fanboy. And so early too.....

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
The one thing I dont like is when companies put Modders in the same boat as hackers. I dont update my Wii because I run custom programs on it not to hack games and "be all that", but to make the console run at its optimized ability. Wii is the only one out of the three without a DVD Drive, but some tech savvy people might want to run their DVD's on it, so they'll adjust the programming and/or hardware for it to run better both at DVD's, and optimize the drive for game discs itself, lowering load times etc.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
Well this might keep pirates and hackers off psn but i kinda doubt it will deter them. Especially the hackers that are genuinly just interested in running thier own code.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
oh yeah punish the evil people who gave you all the pirating trouble by removing the otherOS feature from your 600$ console.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Sounds fine to me. My only gripe is the amount of crying we'll hear on the interwebs once they do. Though really the tears of a banned hacker are sweet, sweet tears.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
IDK - kinda fence posting . . . I can see where SONY (and MS) are coming from, but at the same time, I don't see much of a problem with modifying firmware . . .

. . . perhaps that's just the PC 1337157 in me. We can easily modify our hardware, firmware (and most) software to our heart's content . . . the only thing that'll screw you is if you foobar it and try to get it warrantied, most manufacturers simply won't cover such modifications - although, some will if you're up-front with them about it.

That's where I don't see SONY's or MS' point. I can understand users how hack the systems to play illegal copies of games, but if you're doing it for better system flexibility or additional "features" than I don't really view that as wrong (although it does violate EULA).

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
HyenaThePirate said:
Well here's a suggestion.

How about, anyone who doesn't like being told what they are allowed to do with their $300 product they purchased in good faith with expectations of being able to do with it what they want simply not BUY your system Sony?

Seems to me Sony forgets how much money they were losing not TWO YEARS AGO when their platform was wallowing in last place and they were hemorraging cash.

I mean, for frak's sake, why can't I change the bloody color of the FONT yet on the dashboard? Is there a way to pirate games using that feature?! What about my ability to use any harddrive I want? What about my preference to use Linux? What about being able to better organize my music folders?

Instead of bitching about what people are trying to work around your draconian rules for a product they PURCHASED from you willingly, you concentrate on making the product more efficient and appealing? Like I don't know, making more GAMES? Because as an RPG player, I can literally count the decent RPG's on the PS3 on ONE hand, and all the rest of the RPG's with the other.

The way things stand right now, if my 60 gig PS3 ever gives up the ghost, I won't be buying a new one to replace it.
Iglock said:
This.

This is the reason I have CFW on my PSP- not because I pirate games and want to "steal" Sony's monies. Simply because without it, the PSP sucks. CFW allows me to totally customise my PSP, play ripped copies of my legally bought and owned ps1 games and use loads of other awesome software (pdf readers etc etc).

If Sony (although it's not just Sony, other companies too) actually spent their time making their official software better than it's custom counterpart instead of hunting down and punishing those who use custom software etc- maybe more people would feel inclined to actually use the official software and services...

Just a thought.
How about you stop bitching about the ps3 and look at it from sony's point of view. Sure you may prefer the other options and not play hacked games, but how are they to know that? Piracy is gonna be costing them thousands if not millions of dollars and they are taking measures to minimise those losses. If your so pissed about the ps3 features and/or games get a PC or 360.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It'll be interesting as soon as they get their first false-positive.
THIS.
I am not sure about this. If Sony was able to detect it, they would have done it by now instead of empty suing threads.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I wonder how many they'll actually catch, though. People have already mentioned not taking your console online, and I'm sure there are/will be other circumvention methods.

In the end, I can't help but feel this is more like a feelgood gesture for Sony than any real practical step.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I wonder how many they'll actually catch, though. People have already mentioned not taking your console online, and I'm sure there are/will be other circumvention methods.

In the end, I can't help but feel this is more like a feelgood gesture for Sony than any real practical step.
remember how all PS3 consoles suffered that age of darkness due to a programming era and 'trophys not being recognized'

I think there are other checks, probably circumventable checks but none the less, more than signing in

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Is this a disincentive for legitimate buyers to pirate games or a disincentive for pirates to buy games?

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
This doesn't really affect me because I don't own a PS3, although I feel like Sony has every right to do this. Unfortunately, it is their product and whether or not you bought it from them legally, they are still the ones that have to maintain the online community.

Or, if you can't live without your Linux, may I suggest simply avoiding PSN?

I don't know, I can understand why some people might be slightly frustrated, but it isn't the end of the world.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SpaceMedarotterX said:
remember how all PS3 consoles suffered that age of darkness due to a programming era and 'trophys not being recognized'

I think there are other checks, probably circumventable checks but none the less, more than signing in
I honestly don't, but that may be because the minute I heard about the problem I refused to turn on my PS3 until it was resolved.

I mean, I do remember the trophies issue, but I don't remember how far it reached.

However, it will be hard to act against a unit that is not online, especially if it has already been altered. Not to mention, the PS3 is evidently easy to crack (Now that someone has TRIED), so finding those checks might not be all that tough to do.

I'm nto saying they won't catch ANYBODY, but it seems that the people they most want to intimidate will probably have their asses covered. At least, way more than not.

This is all intellectual, honestly. I don't really care if hackers get banned for hacking, but I do sometimes wonder the point of these actions. This one isn't the most pointless, mind, but it does seem more masturbation than action.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So up until now pirated games could still be played online?
Well then Sony you are a bit slow to the party...

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Cool but pretty obvious, Sony. Keeping hackers away protects the online community against cheaters. I´m all for it.